Keith and Fred both hit a good point about my hunting needs. No air-bob soles or any other soles with the black expanded sponge sole. Also, the tread has to be fairly agressive since my quail hunting is on very steep soft ground. Chukar hunting is, of course, on rocky (often lava rock), steep terrain intermixed with some soft steep ground. Good ankle protection and support is important, leading me to favor a 8" high or more boot. Phez hunting, I'm fairly convinced can be done in any comfortable boot capable of the other two types of hunting. I am also sold on the concept of having the lightest boots that will do the job. Lighter boots reduce fatigue as much as light guns or more. Those that are big fans of light guns should try light boots. A pound or two out of your boots will pay bigger dividends than the same out of your gun. You will be able to go further and be less fatigued at the end of the day. That's why my 2.5-3 lb requirement for this set.

Again, I'm getting to be a boot junkie. I currently have a set of RedHead 17" lace-up snake boots, a pair of Danner 5-6" high GTX boots, and the Cabelas 9" FullDraw boot. If I take a hunting trip for more than the day, I always bring at least one backup set of boots and have used them often.

If someone is looking for a sneaker type boot, I recommend you take a look at the Cabelas FullDraw. Very light and very comfortable with good ankle support, but not much sole/arch support/stiffness. Good for soft ground, flat or steep terrain, but not too much rocky ground as your feet will feel the pointy rocks.