Chuck:
A good friend bought the new Danner Sharptail and really likes them. Light they are when I picked them up.

If you are a boot junkie, then in addition to above, you really do need to look at a pair of custom made Russels. The best thing about them is they are 100% leather, so they breathe and are essentially 100% waterproof because of construction. Have them custom built and they fit tight around your ankle. I find that reduces foot fatigue and makes boots feel very light.

Look at the South 40 Birdshooter or similar triple wall construction - these are the ones that are essentially waterproof. The only drawbacks are price and they are moccasin construction so I had a foot guy build arch supports that he glued into the boots. I think that cost me $15 a pair and it helps prevent bone spurs if you tend to have that problem.

The last benefit is they last forever. I have three pair that get at least 150 days of hunting/hiking a year and none show signs of wear (except heels). They have to be at least 5 years old. They can all be resoled or repaired if need be - either at factory or a competent cobbler.

You could even make a grouse/woodcock hunting trip along with going to the factory to have them fit. They are located in WI, maybe 2 hours south of good grouse country, and 3 to 4 hours from exceptional grouse country. I think there is a fit kit on line. The factory is like stepping into a time warp.

Glad to hear pup is doing well.