Gavin Gardiner has a catalogue on line too now (Dec 11th auction) Holt's is building and looks pretty close to finished as well (Dec 13th).

As for Charlton Hall, if anyone does turn up, I'll be pleased to look at any guns there with you, measure any barrels, advise as to condition and generally talk about the pros, cons etc of any of the guns on offer.

I'll do condition reports on guns as I do in London for anyone interested.

I would advise agains buying from the catalogue 'sight unseen' at Charlton Hall in the same way that I advise people not to buy off-catalogue at any other auctions. Not because you will get rubbish, but because you need to appreciate what is on offer before you can decide what it is worth to you.

In essence I think the Charlton Hall idea is a good one. It is giving Americans access to a load of guns annually which they can see, buy and take home if they wish.

Every time I go to an auction I see stuff I do not want to buy and do not bid on. Most of it sells to someone who has a use for it and pays what his budget tells him makes sense.

Commission is always an issue to factor-in. what it is is published in advance. Currently all London auctions charge 20% buyer's commission plus 17% VAT on that commission. Christies charge 25% + VAT.

Buyers just need to do their homework and some simple maths before the sale.

Maybe it is me but I find the tone of these exchanges less than friendly and I really see no reason for it. I certainly would not say 'shut up and stay away'. I'd say - if you have questions, ask and if you want to see what is there better, come and have a look.

I like auction viewings even when I buy nothing. It is a great chance to handle and evaluate a wide range of interesting guns of all types and serves as an education.

I'll be at Holt's, Gavins and Charlton Hall - hope to see one or two faces in the States, as I always do in London.