June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 429 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,172
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brother just found the NB book titled, "De Shootin'est Gent'man". Inside cover had a personal note written and signed by Ole Buck. The note mentions 3 people and a fishing hole Buck mentioned to have fished on May 17th. Question, Is his writing a note common in his books? What type of value might it have with this personal touch? I'll e-mail a photo of the page to anyone that thinks they might have an idea who Bucks' pals were in the note. Best I can make out of the writting is one guy is ---- Franzel? Lyman McLallen[this spelling is just a guess] Last name is Aaron Jones. Fishing hole is Wapanoca? Randy

RMC

Randy -

Living here in Mississippi is in the middle of Nash Buckingham country and I am definitely a big fan here. I will look up your references to Buck's pals and see if they correspond to known friends. I think McAllen is one of Buck's long time hunting partners, but I will double check that. Wapanoca is one of Buck's famous duck camps in North Mississippi.

The rarity of personalized notes in Buck's signed copies of his books depend on the edition of the book and the date of the personalization. His limited edition books were limited publication and largely sold via word of mouth to friends and friends of friends and Buck personalized alot of these.

However, in the last few years of his life when he lived in Knoxville (or Nashville, I can never remember which) near his daughter, he did sign alot of books for people who would write, requesting personalizations from him. These tended to be more mass published editions, but were usually from the mid to late 1960's until his death.

As for value, well as with guns it depends alot on condition and the particular edition. Send me that information and I will price it for you.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Wapanoca" is a fishimg hole.

It's in Arkansaw about 20 miles across the Mississippi river NW of Memphis. It's known for Catfish and bream....State or Federally operated for years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall "Beaver Dam" was his hunting spot in North Mississippi.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a big fan. Buck's Bonus Tip: "Unwritten Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas regulation: Yankees must be watched at all times, especially around our womenfolk."

Sidelock
Sidelock

PJ,
That kinda ties in with what a TN girl once told me; "you caint, but ya'll can"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm getting just a little "twitch".

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's the carpetbaggers and damn yankees that you have to keep an eye on.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is couple more tips for hunting late season wildfowl...
Duffster "flying with only one wing extended-the wing opposite the artillery barrage. The folded wing facing the barrels protects the shot-sensitive cargo hold.
Solution: Use heavy 3&1/2inch, wing removing loads.
Drakes flying behind, under, or over hens. Solution: Hens are good eating too."

I know a man that may have BO WHOOP. It is a Burt Becker 3 inch Fox Super with 32 inch barrels. Fully engraved action. The story is that it was found near a road in Mississippi a long time ago, and was in a family until sold on the internet a few years ago. The Gentleman that has it brought it to me, and I almost fell over. If it is not BO WHOOP, it is its next cousin. Does anyone know the serial number of the original? That would clear matters.
He had no idea what he had,and was hunting ducks and geese with it using bismuth shot, so he did not destroy the chokes. He said it was a fantastic gun, and killed hard.

Pondoro Taylor,Elmer Keith,Karamojo Bell,and Jeff Cooper knew what they were talking about.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.