September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (al, LeFusil, lagopus, 1 invisible), 434 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,844
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, I can't imagine someone would ream the choke out of it. Regardless, I'm packing bore micrometers next trip south.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was just shooting on Beaver Dam last week actually, had a good trip and killed ducks both mornings. Visited Buckingham's grave at Elmwood in Memphis, and had a viewing of "Bo Whoop II" at DU headquarters as well.

Wapanoca was another old duck club that his father, and later he were members of. It's now a wildlife refuge, never visited it but I know where it's at over in Arkansas.

Aaron Jones was a young black guide at one of the clubs I believe. I've not read all the tales in a couple years but that name sticks out.

Email me a shot of the dedication page to:

hunterdlh@yahoo.com

Chub Andrews owned "BW II" for many years. I wouldn't put anything past that ying-yang, so it could have had the chokes altered.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 3-inch 12-gauge Super-X load in the 1920s, when most Super-Fox guns were built, was 1 3/8 ounces of shot. The 3-inch magnum 12-gauge load with 1 5/8 ounces of shot was introduced with the Winchester Model 12 heavy Duck gun circa 1935. My 1928-vintage Super-fox handles both of those loads very well, but the time I shot a few patterns with the later day 1 7/8 ounce 3-inch magnums I got holes I could throw a small Brittany through.

Thanks guys for helping on the choke question. It seems everyone agrees that the gun shot well and if it is off, something happened to it, or the shells are not up to snuff for the gun.
Chub Andrews is the guy that my friend bought a Fox Super from. It was supposed to be his, not Nash's. He bought it because of the connection to his other gun.

Pondoro Taylor,Elmer Keith,Karamojo Bell,and Jeff Cooper knew what they were talking about.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a tangled web this has become!

Ole Cowboy

say hello to all us spiders

Pondoro Taylor,Elmer Keith,Karamojo Bell,and Jeff Cooper knew what they were talking about.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I'll drag the Super out for some pattern testing this winter. Suitable no tox ammunition is now prohibitive so the old girl will be back in the lead business until things change a bit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There have now been more sightings (and threads re:) of Bo Whoop than Elvis, and CC/dt asked me to post some of his SuperFox pics. PictureTrail just went down again but as a public service I started a 'Nash Buchingham and Bo Whoop' album. When PictureTrail wakes up, I'll post the link. For now here's this

Works by Nash Buckingham:
de Shootinest Gent'man: and Other Tales (several editions)
Mr. Buck: The Autobiography of Nash Buckingham
Mark Right!
Tattered Coat
Game Bag - Tales of Shooting and Fishing
Ole Miss'
Hallowed Years
Once Upon a Time
A collection of his writings published 20 years after his death.

Other resources:
Nash Buckingham: Letters to John Bailey by Nash Buckingham, John Bailey, and George Bird Evans.
The Best of Nash Buckingham by George Bird Evans, 1973
Nash Buckingham. Beaver Dam and other Hunting Tales by Dr. William 'Chubby' Andrews.
http://www.owaa.org/legends/legendNashBuckingham.htm

Quotations from Nash:

"One man’s blowing can be wholly effective, of course, but put two fellows to work who know their notes on well-tuned instruments and some added ‘come hither’ gets into circulation."
from Mattock Bay Mallards

"The best long range shotgun load to have in one's boat for mallards is a fine retriever."

"Tell me, if you can, of anything that's finer than an evening in camp with a rare old friend and a dog after one's heart."

Last edited by revdocdrew; 12/15/07 12:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by eightbore

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Rev, There are two different books "De Shootin'est Gent'man", there is the Derrydale and various reprints from 1934 and there is another book with the same title published by Nelson in 1961 which other than the title story is entirely different and has 19 other stories or articles that I believe are not available elsewher in book form.
Also there is Nash's last book "Once Upon A Time" which was published after his death of also un published stories.
Thanks, I enjoy your work.
Lawrence

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.