September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, ArtLavely, Replacement, 1 invisible), 455 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

I have seen some of these tribore/rombo guns (don't really know the terminology)in some shotgun magazines and web sites. I like the idea of having a gun with that kind of firepower, but are they practical? Do they balance well? DO you get to use them in the real hunting situations often enough to make it worth the trouble of manufacturing them?
I know Famars makes a rombo gun in 28 or 410, but where would you use such a gun? I have also seen a Peter Hofer tribore gun in 20 ga, I guess that would be more practical.
Are they more of an oddity attraction?
I would appreciate any input, opinion and/or experience. Pictures would be a dream.
Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sliver if a person wants 3 or 4 shots, it would be much cheaper to buy a pump or semi-auto. I really like the 3 barrel side x side x side ones myself. But, in my opinion they aren't all that practical. I think that everyone that I've seen has been a 16ga or 20ga. C Lancaster made a few of the 4 barrel side x side x over and unders in 16ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a 3-barrell (2-over&1-under) shotgun here in south Georgia that belonged to a friend's father. It was a bring-back from Germany after WW-2. The gun was written up with pictures in the Summer DGJ issue. I've handled that gun and it was beautifully balanced and perfectly useable in the field...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone have pictures of a SxSxS? Never seen one, that would be neat.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice article in last Shooting Sportsman about the practicality of these. The guy shot several types of upland game and then finished the trip with some big game with his 8x57 underbarrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Relatively recent patent....

Patent

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Geo.Newbern,

I do remember reading about the 16 ga tribore in one of the magazines, either DGJ or SSM. I understood from there that they are very rare guns. If they are not too heavy and well balanced I wouldn't mind carrying 2 or 3 barreled guns. It is always fun to see a well made gun that solves ingenuously a mechanichal problem like firing in sequence 3-4 barrels.

Hal,

I have the last SSM and noticed the Africa article, but did not get through it yet. I was refering more to the tribore smoothbore guns. Iterestingly enough, Peter Hofer makes a 20 ga sxs with a .17 HMR barrel in the rib. Go to his web site and see pics. I bet that does not change the wt or balance of the gun a bit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One can still find old drill in excellent shape for around 4k. That is amazing as it is nearly impossible to find two pre-war ones that are exactly alike.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This Fabarms was on the cover of American Rifleman years ago.

Geno has posted pictures of several guns that would fit the bill.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The firing order on Mr. Ball's 3-barrel written up in DGJ last Summer was two pulls on the front trigger for the top barrels and a third pull on the back trigger for the bottom barrel...Geo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.