September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (al, Argo44, shrapnel, lagopus), 455 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,844
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70847 12/10/07 03:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is the second time I have seen this on L.C. Smiths. The first one I saw is on a 1927 Field Grade Longrange that I just bought from an internet dealer that never showed a picture of it or would send me other pictures. This one is from Cabelas with the same damage in the same spot.
Any answers? I took mine apart and there is no oil saturation at all, it is clean.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe it is damage from hanging out the truck window...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd have to guess that someone used something on the metal that was very unfriendly to the wood, if it is not oil soaked inside, as you said. The forend shows some of the same.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

It sure looks like oil damage; however, if the finsh is off it may be moisture damage. If it is moisture caused you should see some rust in the action area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm guessing it was either a routine use of a cleaning solvent or a particular brand of oil that had an additive. It'd probably be some kind of product from yesteryear that may or may not be available today. Maybe Marvel Mystery Oil or some such thing?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. No, I seriously doubt that it is from oil on mine, and I doubt from moisture. The wood is still firm not soft. I repeatedly used a very wet cloth and a steam iron and was able to raise the wood some to where it is not blackened now, but still looks porus.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wasn't kidding (entirely) about the damage being from hanging out the truck widow. Look how the damage pivots around the trigger-guard and how the notch in the head of the screw is polished. Wasn't road hunting for partridge a major pass-time in Pennsylvania up till a few years ago?...Geo

Speaking of use by a PREVIOUS owner, of course!

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 12/10/07 04:58 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

George, I'm sure in northwestern Pa. along the old logging roads it did and probably still does happen. On the gun that I have it is a 32" full/full choke gun that weighs 8 lbs. 11 oz. Chambered for 3" shells, a great duck/goose gun. The one from Cabelas, I forgot the state it was being sold in, but it might be possible with that one.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

It almost looks like a burn. Either from heat (?) or some type of solvent. Like the Browning salt guns, something has reacted between the metal and the wood. Could it be from someone using used motor oil on it, yet it never soaked the wood? I know a lot of the old timers used it on guns. Have you ever removed the trigger guard screw to see what the wood looks like down in the hole? If you have, is the wood rotted out deep down in the wood? Or just on the surface? Or could it be some type of fungus that didn't grow until after it left the plant? Surely it didn't leave the factory like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! I have one just like it, dry wood, no oil problem, case color is 100% in the area and there is not even a light scratch on the metal to indicate any bruise from handling? The only clue I can add is the finish was wrinkled from some unknown cause. I refinished the wood and the results were great except at the "burns". I then tried to glass the "burn marks" and the results were not great.
wthigo?
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those areas appear to me that it is a chemical burn (reaction. That's my best quess, the wood appears to be charred.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of guns suffered "bruised" wood, usually on the fore-end, from being used to press down the lower strand of barbed wire to go through a fence. The fore-end damage is sometimes blamed on dog-gnawing because that's what it looks like. I don't see any evidence of the metal being marred though in the pictures. Still I suspect the damage was caused physically rather than by some chemical. Just an unproven opinion, though...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 12/10/07 10:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you asked David, my well used 06' 00 has similar marks, though more obvious gouges. It doesn't seem to be oil soaked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rev., I'd bet money your gun was damaged by traversing barbed wire fences. I've done it and seen what it does...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

sweaty hands and finger rings?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if this rather strange addition to a 12 gauge Durston Special Lefever I recently bought is to repair or prevent the above described handling action? I haven't yet been able to dismantled to view condition or damage underneath. It looks like brass brazing joining the cross bar to the forward portion of the trigger plate.

Cheers, Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about the Durston, I had just assumed these marks were from hanging the gun on nail ar two...like you still see in farmers barns

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Robert, that is an interesting possibility. Both sides damaged from switching to left-right in hanging. My only thought on it is there isn't any damaging scrathes on the metal, at least on mine, but still is a good explanation as to how it happened.

David

Edumacated guess as to sequence of events. Wood marred by wire, nail, or other hard surface. Protective shellac/varnish/etc. comes off. Routine oil, sweat, handling causes color change. To refinish will require oil removal and dent raising. That's my SWAG of the day! Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given the location and extent of that damage-and taking the given that the wood isnt oil soaked, it would seem that the finish was probably destroyed by a second incompatible finish. As if somebody decided to go ahead and cover that area while putting a coat of lacquer on the case colors. Anybody know if lacquer over an oil might react in such a way?

h
Sidelock
Sidelock

Barb wire fences....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe its an LC Smith thing? I vote for all of the above, fences, exposure of wood, sweat etc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once owned an absolutely mint Smith that looked the same on its underside, right behind the frame. I never figured out with certainty what caused it since the gun was probably never out in the field nor even out of a gun cabinet. I finally chalked it up to some sort of chemical reaction that caused the varnish to "bubble" behind the frame, probably where a solvent or whatever likely soaked into the inletting cuts there.

The bubbled varnish on the Smith looked just like a kitchen table we once owned. The table was a high end one from Ethan Allen and while it's surcase was walnut-looking formica, the end pieces were real wood, varnished or maybe lacquered. After many years the finish bubbled up and the wife always said it was because she used a liquid furniture polish on those end pieces. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.