Raimey: I think that your posts sum it up nicely. It seems from reading this thread and also Dig's thread that everyone who ACTUALLY attended the auction had a great time. It also seems that the only naysayers are the "armchair quarterbacks" who didn't come. They seem to have all sorts of remedies to want to make it a clone of Julia's, Amoskeg's, Greg Martin's, etc. I wonder why, if they are so smart, don't they get their license and start up "the perfect gun auction" themselves. I'm certain that everyone in the world would attend and buy at fair prices since it would be "the perfect gun auction".

I too would love to know who each gun belonged to, and who they got it from, and who they got it from, etc. I have always said if each gun could speak about it's history, even the most decrepit wallhanger could relay some fascinating stories. However, only in rare cases & only then in the case of well known high end collectors is the ownership of a gun in auction ever disclosed in the catalogue or on the auction floor. Most collectors would not want their name divulged for fear of a thief hearing of it and breaking in to look for more. Yes, I had a few guns in the sale, some sold & some didn't. I bought a few guns & got some real bargains. The only ones I bid on were those belonging to others than myself.

I haven't spoken to Ron Long, he & Herrmann drove Dig to Atlanta yesterday to catch his plane home, but I believe he will say that the auction was a success & the next one will be even better. I know that he has commitments for a number of guns that were too late for this one.

In closing, everyone here who asked for a free catalogue got one. NO GUNS COULD BE BID ON E-BAY OR LIVEAUCTIONS.COM THEREFORE NO "SHILL BIDDING" TOOK PLACE. For those who took the trouble to look Charlton Hall Auctions has been in business since 1929, longer than James Julia, Amoskeg or Greg Martin. They are a highly respected firm and well known throughout the civilized world. The estimates were placed on the lots by the owners and experienced appraisers. If a lot did not meet it's reserve it means only that there was not an actual buyer willing to pay that amount. Many of the above mentioned auction houses have lots that are passed as well.

It is my understanding that Charlton Hall will hold all unsold lots for approximately thirty days and those lots may be purchased by anyone interested. That is also the custom of the aforementioned auction houses.

In closing, I second Raimey in saying that what this event needs is support and not destructive criticism. I like the old saying: "Those that can do & those that can't criticize those that can".

Best Regards To All, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com