Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#71465 12/13/07 11:27 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wouldn't post it here, except it affects my future ability to enjoy my hobby, which is shooting fine and not so fine guns.

Looking around the gun clubs, my problem is not unique. I hit 50 this year, and hit it hard. Started having some weight related health problems, and finally decided that enough was enough.

Co-worker was using the Nutrisystem program, so I signed up. The first 10lbs fell off, and I've settled down to about a 2.5lb/week steady weight reduction. Five weeks, and down 20lbs.

It's not great food. Face it.. no 1,500 calorie a day program is going to be great food. It's tolerable, and some things like the black beans and rice are actually pretty darn good with some Tabasco sauce added.

Mostly, it's a education about what quantities I will be eating in the future after the weight goal is reached.

This is possible. It works. Find somthing that works for you and do it if you have poundage excess. We are losing too many good shooters for a silly reason.

Now, I gotta buy new shooting apparel...

RG

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck on your weight loss diet.
I just started a diet myself; it's something I made up. Its funny one of the things I'm eating is black beans and rice with hot sauce, it's pretty good and I've lost 16 lbs. in just about one month.
Another thing I'm eating a lot of is Chinese stir-fry. Which can taste pretty good.
Pete

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

RG,

Best of luck to you on your mission! I have always believed that dropping pounds is more difficult than quiting cigarettes- people don't need cigarettes. It can be done assuredly! After many years trying, my sister in law has reached her goal. She won't say how much she lost, but I would honestly estamate 50lbs!

Best to you,
Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife has struggled with her weight since she was in her 30's. She has piles of the NutriSystem around. I haven't tried it yet but may. We are now both 51 and I was told a couple weeks or so ago that my cholesterol is high and they want me on Lipitor. I'm 190 5'10" and have taken a vow to loose weight and exercise more, not just during the hunting season. My ultimate goal is 165 but I will be satisfied with a steady decline no matter the rate. A little over a week into it and I can already see some lbs gone.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, be careful with Lipitor,I'm just going with through this with my dad, actually both my parents,...dad has been on lipitor for a few months an started to experience some real bad side effects,..so I did some research and found out there are all kinds of problems with the drug
Do a search on "Lipitor side effects" and see for yourself!
there are plenty of other ways to lower cholesterol without going through severe aches and pains or forgetting what you just had for lunch!
Start by having your oatmeal in the morning on a regular basis

Best,

CJ

Last edited by C. J. Opacak; 12/13/07 01:42 PM.

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Luck Shotgunjones and all. I kept noticing my clothes were shrinking in the closet, then one day I saw this huge guy in the mirror.
I wanted to see my twin girls grow up and decided I had to change my eating habits. I have lost 30-35 pounds in about a year. I am about 5-7 and went from 210 +/- to 180. I feel much better. I wish you great sucess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lipitor, Zocor, Simvastatin(sp) or any drug has side effects, hopefully you will be ok with it.
I was first on Zocor, 10 mg doctor moved me to 20 mg, double in price (good thing for insurance). Now take a gereric Simvastatin same dosage. Same results.
Weight was always around 180-190 lbs. 5'10" Combined Cholesterol was 210, now the breakdown is 64 LDL, 34 HDL, 67 Tri-cylcerides. Blood pressure last time was 123/76. Drugs do help.
My wife has flucuated in weight, married in 1970 she weighed 125 lbs. at 5'9". Gained weight after the kids had grown and left the nest. Now she has lost 47 lbs. in a year using Weight Watchers, point system. If you stay on your plan you get a bonus at the end of the week by getting to eat 35 points worth of food you couldn't have during the week.
Most authorities will tell you diet alone doesn't work, lilke Chuck said you need some type of exercise to go with it.

Last edited by JDW; 12/13/07 02:23 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try the Purina diet, I tried it and lost 50 lbs eating nothing but Purina dry dog food, only be careful!!! I wound up in a hospital in a comma; they said I got hit by a car while I was sitting out in the middle of the road licking my privates…

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, Rockdoc, it's tough to lose weight, for a couple of months I drank two of those Ultra Slim Fast shakes after every meal and I didn't lose a damn pound. Total ripoff.

Sorry guys, couldn't be helped.

Last edited by Yeti; 12/13/07 04:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm wary of diets that limit the type of food you can eat. I'm a firm believer in you can eat the same variety of things you eat now, just eat less and exercise more.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of ways to lose weight. What worked for me, I don't recommend for others. Following bypass surgery (5 of 'em} I was told the heart was now good after a slight attack I'd had before the surgery. Am Type 2 diabetic, drink (enough to put me to sleep at night, and often that's a lot), then following a catscan my Md. informed me that I had cancer. Chronic lymphatic leuchemia. Great, I said. A death sentence, right? Nope, said the Doc. If you gotta have cancer, this is the kind you want. It's highly treatable for years. At 71 that sounded pretty good. After 4 chemo sessions it was in remission. I went from 205 pounds to 160. Now nearly a year after the bypass, I am finally getting back to around 180. Knees are shot from steroids, so that may be next item. Anyway, don't lose weight the way I did.
It might be the disease you hope for if you gotta have the big C, but it still wears you down. Merry Christmas to all! Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ,
Yeah I'm leary of Lipitor. I was asked about family history of kidney probs and my mother has fought them all her life. I will try to do this with exercise and diet first. Next blood test tomorrow.

Steve,
Was that the Purina 1 diet or ProPlan? Side effects can be nasty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I lost 75 pounds on the Atkins diet five years ago. That is the red meat diet. Ate meats, cheeses and salads until I got sick of steaks and burgers. ever was much for rabbit food in the first place. Would day dream about pasta, green beans, breads and ice cream.

Kept the weight off for several years but just noticed that I have regained about 20 of those pound back in the last year. 50+ is easy to get into slower habits and gain weight. Next year it is back onto the diet. My cholesterol went down while I was on the diet even though I was eating all the wrong foods. You know, red meat, cheese, butter and so on.

Real fact is that any diet will work to some extent. The catch is what you do after you end the diet. Go back to your old habits and you might as well keep your old clothes. You will need them in a year of two.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Agreed Jon. The effective part of the NS program is portion control. It's a no-brainer. Supplement their products with fruit, veggies, and salads. Follow the schedule, and you have to lose weight.

You also learn what a 1,500 day diet looks like. I figure I burn 2,500/day and now intake 1,000 less/day. After I shed the correct amount just up the intake a bit, but not too much!

The key for me is five small meals, instead of two huge ones. This also helps the blood sugar stay steady, which controls carb cravings. It's a sound system, and not really a 'fad' diet.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I jumped on the scales last spring and was 230 lbs! At almost 53 I figured I'd better do something before my health suffers. I'm fairly stocky, but at 5'8", this was just too much weight.

I determined to exercise more and started riding my bike to work June-Sept and lost about 25 lbs, while still eating essentially the same as I usually do. Lots of fruit, nuts, beans, brown rice, veges, and of course wild game and fowl. I've cut back on eating sweets, bread, sausage, chips, and most junk foods.

Although winter has cut out riding my bike to work, I continue to exercise 4-5 times a week. I've gained about 5 lbs back, but I'm determined to stay around 210 until summer gets here, then I'll start up again with the bike riding.

If able, nothing works like a sensible diet and plenty of water and exercise. It sometimes takes a mental shift on what one eats, but it can be done with determination.

Good luck and stick with whatever you decide to do.

Cameron

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my teens thru early thirties, i was a gym rat, alot of that time excessive about it, even had people coming up to me for diet advice. I of course stopped all of that in my late 30's till my early 40's and found out my quality of life had suffered with my weight gain. So i bought a treadmil and some dumbells and work out 4 times a wk. I wont see a six pack of abs ever again, but I can walk behind my dog and not tire. Diets are fads, the only one that works, is to work off more then you take in. You are what you eat...Good luck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any of you guys know of a cure for DDD ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Recoil Rob said; eat sensibly (balanced diet) and EXERCISE MORE (sorry to shout but it's that important and simple). You need to develop a new lifestyle that emphasizes burning, not consuming, food. I exercise (no gym, just fun stuff like hiking, biking, bird hunting, xc skiing) 1-2 hours, 6-7 days a week (on average). No Lipitor needed, and I fluctuate between 146-150 lbs., at 5'10", 58 years old. Certainly some of it is genetic, but if exercise becomes more important than food, weight becomes a non-issue. Of course this sounds easier than it is, but a change in life style (exercise) and a sensible diet are the answer, not dietING (IMHO).
Ok, jOe, I'll bite, what's DDD?
Joe

Last edited by Joe Bernfeld; 12/15/07 08:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

DDD...the fatal dew dick disease.

Caused from my belly being so big I can't see what me dicks dews.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Way to go ShotGunJones....i've dropped close to 30lbs this summer.
An added bonus is that now my guns have that nice little bit of Cast Off that they didn't have before,when my face was chubbier!
keep it up
Franc O

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought it was dicky do disease; when your stomach sticks out farther then your dicky do!

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The symtOms are the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

About 15 years ago I went for the company paid life insurance physical and was denied because of high blood sugar. At that time I was about 275 and spent a lot of time in airplanes and hotels. My doc told me that if I could get my weight down and keep it to a sensible level ...... he might be able to take me off the diabetes drugs he was prescribing. The next person he sent me to was a dietitian who was the nutritional director of a very good hospital. She is a no BS person ...... and said that she could bring my blood sugar and weight down if I did two things .......... eat way less fat and control my intake of carbo's. And ..... Add some exercise to EVERY DAY. I will spare you the details (nothing worse than other people's diet stories ..... they all sound like they should be on Dr. Phil) ..... So every morning I took the dog for a brisk one mile walk ...... rain or shine. And when I traveled I got up an hour early and took the walk ....... no matter the place. Over two years I lost 80 lbs. Over the long run I haven't been able to keep to exactly the same food intake but I still walk every day ...... at least a mile and usually much more ...... I've put back about 20 lbs in all that time but have changed my eating habits enough that my sugar is normal without drugs and my cholesterol is fine. Someone smarter than me said that the only way to loose weight and keep it off is to eat less and put more activity in your life. I try to keep my intake to around 1800 - 2000 calories a day ...... So I never darken Mickey D's door, keep my hands out of the cheese doodles and keep the portion size of fat rich protein to an amount smaller than my fist.

Al

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.