September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (al, lagopus, Argo44, shrapnel, 1 invisible), 486 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, as you can tell be a couple of my previous posts (and thanks so much for your responses) I've really become interested in english doubles. I like to get one for around 3k and have been able to narrow it down to these makers:

Westly Richards

Webley & Scott

William Evans

Charles Osborne

Thomas Wild

The above are all BLE, 2 1/2" chambers. I know that all of them are top notch makers, but here is were I need your help.

Is there one maker that stands out for quality more than any of the others?

In short which maker would you pick?

I know, I know pick the gun not the maker, but I'm not able to handle any of them (these are all thru the net, alas). So, your thoughts?

Thanks again for all your kindness and putting up with me, I sure do appreciate it!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I sent you a pm. asking for your e-mail address.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

GJZ, never got it, never do om here, any way here it is:

wesbutte@westriv.com

Take care!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you. Picture on the way.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Joe, the pics won't come up.

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret

Greg, good luck with whatever you get but here's my 2 cents. Westly Richards will most likely bring the highest price even if it was in the poorest shape of all mentioned. 3K won't get you much so if that's all you want to spend you might be better off concentrating on the Webley&Scott. Your money will go farther. A clapped out Westley Richards is not as good as a tight Webley in good shape even if they cost the same. Evans, Osborne or Wild could be all over the map as to quality, You'd have to see and handle them to know.
npm

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How's this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The A & D boxlock originated out of the house of Westley Richards and I would be hard pressed not to choose it IF its dimensions are what fit you. I think that you should look at the tube chokes, rib types, etc. instead of the maker.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice gun, whats the weight?

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no possible responsible answer to your question.
The guns, as described, could all be fine as shooters. They all could be holes to sink a lot of money into to make them worthy.
$3K is not much money to have in pocket to go looking for a gun, by any of those makers, that would not have problems.
The English market, where most of these guns still reside, has not much interest in extractor guns. There is a premium on ejector guns. Therefore the price for the ejector guns is inflated here and there.
I would think that a gun by any of those makers that was a BLNE , priced near $3K, would be a good buy that would need little.
I would suggest that you contact someone that has the trust of our friends, to search, in Britain, for the gun that will please you. He can then ship it, after any necessary attention. To be a newby, looking on the net, for a good English gun, can be a horrific experience.
On the other hand, we have many here, on the BBS, that can also help you to find your desired shooter.But to decide before hand that a scant few makers fit your idea of a good English gun, opens you a lot of regret.
Whatever you decide---please have the gun shipped to a responsible and competent SxS smith to evaluate before you decide to keep it.
Hope this is helpful.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.