Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
I'm digesting "Pioneer Life or Thirty Years a Hunter" by Philip Tome (1782-1855). Wrote...nothing about little brids.

Jagermeister: I assume you have the 1928 Reprint. Back in 1914 there was only one 1854 original, that in the library of Chas. Sheldon. I guess I can take this off my Want List because I'm interested in shotguns and wildfowl and small game research/reading and draw the line at rifles and big game. Given the difficulty of obtaining books such as Tome's Pioneer Life, it takes some doing to build a library with seminal volumes.

Just today my own original copy of Schreiner's Sporting Manual (1841) arrived in the mail. I missed my last opportunity at this rare shooting flying book in 2005 when James Cummings had it for $2,500; I just bought my copy on eBay for $32. Go figure! I have a complete photocopy from the original at the National Sporting Library in Middleburg VA, and a bad print-on-demand trade paperback, but to have my own iconic original...Wow! I feel like I bought the Czar's Parker for pocket change. And I didn't need a FFL. EDM

EDM