Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Didn't Captain Bogardus shoot a W&C Scott gun ?

Bogardus shot and endorsed a Parker in the early 1870s when he was first building his reputation. Bogardus shot out Ira Paine for the wing shot title in 1871--Paine also used and endorsed the Parker Gun in the late-1870s. Paine shot out John Taylor for the wing shot medal in 1870; Taylor used and endorsed the Parker in the Parker Bros 1869 catalog. All were live bird opportunists who moved on to other makers as better deals were offered.

Doc Carver used and endorsed the Parker Gun in 1878, then picked up a Greener when he went to England. Annie Oakley's "first real gun" was a Parker G-grade 16-bore Frank Butler bought for her in the early 1880s. Near as I can determine no top professional guns were wedded to the Parker. Even Capt. du Bray owned a Purdey and a W & C Scott and Son presentation gun with his name on the rib (now owned by a Vet. Dr. in WI). One of the large problems in the conveying provenance info about the old time guns is establishing points along a time line. So, yes, Capt.B shot a W & C Scott at one time, but other makers' guns at other times. Burried in my records I have Bogardus using guns of at least six different makers, sometimes as many as three seemingly interchangably in the same few months. Even Ansley Fox shot a Parker at the 1900 GAH while sponsored by Winchester ammo. My conclusion from all of this is that no conclusions about inherant quality can be drawn. Opinions differ. EDM

EDM