September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, doublenut, Jim H., azgreg, 1 invisible), 228 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,898
Posts550,571
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last night i read where California closed large areas to all lead ammo-rifles, pistols, shotguns. They say Arizona is next on the list to target for banning lead. Ted S. posted a link to a Minnesota DNR paper where they were talking about banning lead shot within the next 10 years.

I am getting some ideas an materials together for a couple of custom upland shotguns. But i sure do not want to sink the money and time into them, only to have them wind up as "relics of the good ol' days." I am afraid that I won't be able to feed the old doubles in a few years time. What do yall think is the future of ammo? I really cannot afford to shoot doubles at $3/shot or whatever. I am really worried about building these guns, only to be able to shoot them for a couple of seasons.

I don't know about you, but my crystal ball is not too clear and what will happen in the future. What are your feelings on this? Is anyone else hessitant to sink a lot of money in old doubles? I hate to say it, but modern doubles are looking better to me, but the have their own issues (ones I can afford are not so spiffy).

And please, do not go off on politics, what should or should not be banned, global warming, or whatever. I don't want to see this devolve into a political rant. I just want to talk about the wisdom of sinking a lot of money and effort into an old double at this point in time.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Stokeld:

"No lead shot" is a reality. Look at the range at or near St. Petersburg, FL. where they are in litigation over shooting as well as have banned lead shot. Look at the Federal hunting properties where lead shot is not allowed except at the rifle ranges and for muzzleloaders. State properties will be the next to fall and private outfitters may hold on for a while, but "no lead shot" is inevitable and I would say within the next 7-10 years. But there's so much more character, etc. in a vintage double.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Much depends on make of double it is. In some cases it's less expensive to shoot steel until the thing "falls apart" and get another one instead of buying those $xpensive shot alternatives. I'm going to try some light Kent and Fiocchi steel loads for sport and upland game in my uni-barrel Remi 31 with Mod. choke barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hate to say it but...

The USA would be a whole lot better off if the Pacific Ocean ate California...and Florida blew away in the next Hurricain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many from People's Rep of Washington are moving into Idaho and Montana ruining charm of those states. They're like f...... neoplasm soaking up control and natural resources from less affluent locals.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will choke tubes allow us to keep shooting classic guns with modern non lead ammo?

BD
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Please, do not move this thread to a negative political bashing thread, what shoulda, woulda, couda be done, or whatever.

I am just sitting here, wondering if it really makes sense to sink a lot of time and money into a couple of custom European or British SxS's. I would hate to have two very expensive wall hangers 10 years from now. Man, typing that last sentence is almost making up my mind for me.

skunk out
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

maybe I'm too optimistic....I don't see the western states which I hunt in moving in that direction anytime too soon. The economic impact of hunting in the plains states far outways what some left coast liberal is wanting. Montanta,SD, ND, KS, NE all bring in huge amounts of money from upland bird hunters, I just dont see them changing radically. If they do, I just might have to become an outlaw,,,,,I might need to invest in some black clothes, someone needs to keep Johnny Cash alive.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am tempted to think it really doesn't matter if ammo is 3 bucks a round. On my last trip to North Dakota I shot nearly 100 rounds with upland and waterfowl hunting. While I don't keep track I know if the ammo had cost $300 it would have been a small percentage of the total cost. I could have shot my SBE and saved a few bucks but lost some of the pleasure of using guns I really like.
I do believe that the no lead thing will be the norm in a decade it will be as federally mandated just like waterfowl no toxic. South Dakota has had non toxic on all state land for several years and they depend on the bird hunter more than any other western state.
This is all probably wrong thinking anyway. I suppose I should just open shop and be a friend of the new age hunter. I will become a environmental repository for those old lead consuming toxic waste shooters. Just send me all of those old Fox HE's and their like. I will make sure they don't harm the environment by spewing toxic waste over my marsh and uplands.

Last edited by Birdawg; 12/22/07 03:03 PM.

BD

I firmly believe that even if lead shot is banned in every state of the union we'll still be shooting classic vintage doubles and fine clay target guns long past our life times. The reason is, as always, economics and lead will be replaced with some alternative bio-friendly material that won't cost $2 to $3 a shell like the current non-tox hunting loads. In other words, "necessity is the mother of invention" and the need just hasn't been forced on the manufacturers yet. An example might be natural rubber versus synthetic rubber. It wasn't until WWII that we were forced to find suitable substitutes. Now we have them and some are better than the natural product. I expect lead shot will finally get a suitable substitute that won't hurt our barrels. JMO.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.