September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (azgreg, rrrgcy, Argo44, 2 invisible), 229 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,897
Posts550,568
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The CA ban had to do with condors eating lead. Maybe it will spread to other states, but if it does, it won't be because of the condors! I remain fairly optimistic that lead will be with us for quite some time.

That being said . . . Marc, with current steel shotshell technology, you can probably shoot steel, down to #4 shot at least, in most vintage doubles with relatively open chokes (nothing tighter than mod) without damaging the barrels. However, pressure will remain an issue. I don't know enough about reloading steel to comment on whether it can be done at pressures that won't harm vintage guns. As long as the regs remain pretty much as they are, I probably have enough Kent TM on hand, in 2 1/2" Gamebore shells, to last me the rest of my life, no more hunting than I do on areas that require nontox.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, as Mark asked, what are you going to do with your $50K worth of old SxS's or are you going to put $5K into restoring another one? Lets get down to the real issue. I love my old guns and I do hunt them but mostly I shoot clays like most of us here. I keep finding nice stuff and buying them but should we stop? And, yea I know, my kids will have to deal with them when I die but maybe I might need the money for the nursing home.

The only thing I can come up with is Teague sleeving and none of my guns are worth enough to justify that expenditure.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I happen to agree solidly with Sharpsrifle. While lead will eventually be banned or become outdated like DDT, mustard gas, leaded gasoline, vacuum tube TVs, etc, something new will come along, urged on by market forces.

I wouldn't give up on your classic guns yet!

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember all the doom sayers whining that all our old classic cars would be ruined by no-lead gasoline. Ever been to a classic car auction lately?

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps someone can clarify for me.

Since steel shot goes down the barrel in a plastic cup it shouldn't affect the barrel walls. I assume the damage occurs when the cup hits the choke area. Normal lead shot will deform while being compacted to go through the choke whereas steel shot will not compact, therefore bulging the choke area. Do I have this right?

A vintage gun with no choke should have no problems?
Will choke tubes solve the problem?

Also I've heard that some non tox is just as hard as steel, true?

Thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the non toxic is harder than steel. The exceptions, as far as I know are/were bismuth,impact tungsten matrix and "nice shot" (does it come with a pink bow?).

Hevy shot "classic double" is another but there is not a lot of background on it yet.

BD
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
maybe I'm too optimistic....I don't see the western states which I hunt in moving in that direction anytime too soon. The economic impact of hunting in the plains states far outways what some left coast liberal is wanting. Montanta,SD, ND, KS, NE all bring in huge amounts of money from upland bird hunters, I just dont see them changing radically. If they do, I just might have to become an outlaw,,,,,I might need to invest in some black clothes, someone needs to keep Johnny Cash alive.
Steve

Steve,
SD makes in the area of $75-100 mil in the first couple weeks from hunters, nearly all from non-res. However, SD has had a lead ban on stateland hunting, of phez at least, for at least the last 3 yrs that I know of.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I know about the state land prohibitions, I just don't see that carrying over to privately held land. Just one guys take.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB

... someone needs to keep Johnny Cash alive.
Steve

Johnny Cash is alive. He is just taking a bit of downtime and staying with Elvis in his tasteful condo on Mars.

Marc:

My crystal ball says that, with emotion ruling politics, politically correct shot is not going to go away. It is just a matter of when. I also agree that with a market driven economy the demand for PC shot will be met at a price that the market will be able to bear.

As for shooting steel through open choke vintage guns, it ain't a good thing but if you get enough shots at grouse to ruin a gun, methinks you will have wore out that new dog as well.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
eeb Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I've been hoping Sherman Bell will test steel in some of those old damascus guns he tried blowing up (and failing to) months back. If the chokes are open and the shot cup thick where would the harm come from?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.