September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (jlb, Ian Forrester, battle, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 460 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

DeltaBoy; A long bbl split like that looks more like a flaw in the steel, that was drawn into a seam in man'f. Most likely over time it finally decided to let go, for no apparent reason, most likely fatique from use. Bbls burst from an obstruction will most always show a ring bulge. I do not see this on this bbl. Don't blame your son, he most likely was in no way responsible.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AFG
The crack on mine is like the one pictured. I seriously doubt the ammo is at fault. I load thousands of trap and skeet rounds...It had never done this before and I had shot it several times over the summer since it was refinished without a problem....

I questioned the seller about the fox pictured. He claimed it let go while shooting factory #4 hunting loads. A short time later, another one showed up on eBay. Same crack on the opposite side of the frame. That seller never responded to my questions.

Interesting that yours cracked the same way. I am very glad you were not injured.

I've had 1 gun re-cased. John Griffin at Classic Guns was very though in questioning me regarding the gun's history. In particular he wanted to know if the gun had ever been re-cased since it left the factory. I am not sure every one with a furnace and quenching tank asks that question. He warned me that a gun can only be subjected to this process so many times before damage is done. Either the metal will warp or become brittle. It is very difficult to know the full history of a 70-90 year old gun.

Interesting that you say the gun was refinished. Was it re-cased? Who did the job? Not that they are to blame in any way.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting diagnosis, Jones. The location of the hammer axle directly in the plane of heavy bending forces is frequently mentioned as a potential point of failure in boxlocks but the searchlight has always been on the crack itself. I've never heard this scenario in which a gun not previously known to double does so as a result of dislocation of the sear axle contingent to cracking the bar and opening up the bearing points, a sequence of causation which would not occur to most of us particularly when a gun comes apart in our hands.

I'm puzzled by the photo of the Ebay Sterlingworth. My assumption has always been that when you pull the triggerplate on a Fox, you're looking at a single piece of steel with only the hammers, sears, cocking rods, lever, bolt and safety bits added. When I look in the crack in the photo, I see another uninterrupted wall of steel underneath as if the construction were laminar and the bar only a very thin shell in this area. What am I missing?

jack

DeltaBoy, 2piper is right (as usual). Relatively "minor" bore obstructions (and I hate to imply ANY obstruction is not very serious) will cause bulges. As increasingly severe obstructions are tested, they create increasingly larger bulges, then ruptures. Obstruction ruptures usually are local blow-outs rather than splits.

Greener in "The Gun" illustrates bulges created by light wad obstructions, pictured next to a blow-out caused by two light wads with just a small fraction of shot between them.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

Should have said hammer axle in above post. Sorry, but I can't find the edit function on the quick reply.

jack

2piper, Fred, An Elsie with a barrel flaw? But this explantation makes me worry about the other barrel. This happened about 25 years ago and I just found someone to fix it. The wonders of the internet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry et al: I am not clear on the difference between "ReCase Coloring" and "ReCase Hardening". Is it just a matter of degree (and degrees--heat) of doing the same thing? I tend to refer to screws as needing case hardening (for a practical reason) and receivers as being case colored (mostly for asthetics). Thanks, Gil Russell

[IMG]

Deltaboy, I too have great respect for LC Smiths. My main point was/is that I see no signs of an obstruction having caused your bbl split.

The vintage barrel materials project now underway will be analyzing another bbl, with a very similar and similarly-long split. Coincidentally, it also is from an LCS. It hasn't been analyzed yet, but certainly will be.

What caused that failure, or yours? I don't know yet, but can identify several possibilities.

Flaws do happen, even in the best products, and have a number of origins. Slag inclusions and voids were common in vintage steels. Homogeneous ("fluid") steel barrels were made several ways. Some of these drew the metal out considerably, in the longitudinal direction. This provided grain orientation and also tended to elongate inclusions and/or voids. Proof testing found the worst ones, but some undoubtedly survived proof.

Another possible cause or contributor is wall thickness insufficient for the local gas pressure. Locally-thin walls can be due to excessive striking (filing) on the outside, or boring out inside. Either can be done after the gun leaves the factory, to whatever brand and quality of gun. Of course, any local strength issue is exascerbated, increasingly, as local gas pressure is increased if higher-pressure loads are used.

One other common problem is a stress concentrator, which has a local weakening effect similar to a "flaw's." One good example illustrating this (or actually illustrating avoiding it), on well-made guns, is the rounding of the inside corner at the junction of the water table and standing breech. A square corner would suffer much higher stress for the same applied forces, than does a corner having an effective radius.

A longitudinal groove in a barrel wall multiplies the otherwise-uniform hoop stress, at its location. The exact effect depends on the geometry of the groove, the material hardness / lack of ductility. The perfect example is the effect created by a glass cutter. If memory serves, such a scratch in glass can raise bending stress by a factor of several hundred, at its location.

Engineers didn't understand until the 1930s that cyclic stress above a threshold value, but far below the yield point causes cumulative damage. This problem is magnified, often greatly, by seemingly-innocuous ornamentation that causes dangerous stress concentration. In one case photo-documented in a classic fatigue study, text stamped in a flat-bottomed font, closely-spaced, created high local stress that caused an airplane propeller to break with fatal results. (I don't have a photo posting site, but will be happy to forward a copy of this failure if anyone wants to post it.)

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred:

Have also seen an LC with the longitudinal barrel rip in a Roanoke VA gunshop.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

One poster mentioned the "chicken-egg" situation which is the most likely. Further, every time I blow up a shotgun, I take every remaining shell in my bag, cut them open one by one, and examine and weigh the contents, actually examine everything and weigh the powder. How did your remaining ammo come out on the scale?? Second question, how much of a coincidence is it that the receiver was just run through an oven? Who is your case harderning guru? Not that he is at fault, but that is one factor that should be thrown into the mix.

Last edited by eightbore; 10/28/06 04:52 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.