September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Roundsworth, SKB, Karl Graebner, Argo44, buckstix, 1 invisible), 464 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,879
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
GregSY Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can hardly stand to thnk of this, but here is a post someone made from another forum in reply:

"older brother cutting back the barrels and stock of great grandfathers old shotgun for his "house gun"... nice little 20 gauge side by side.....an ingraved PARKER CHE."

Can anyone top this?

A friend has an old sxs boxlock hammergun with twist barrels that belonged to his grandfather. His grandfather had cut the muzzles lengthwise with a hacksaw for about 1 1/2" to 2", squeezed them together in a vice and welded them back together to tighted up the choke.

Cody

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Sidelock
Sidelock

Diamond grade Lindner Daly barrels cut to 20 inches by cowboy action shooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sell it!!

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a chrome plated Colt 1911, dated 1917, that had fake Mother of Pearl grips. Of course the "plater" just about wore every bit of scripting off the thing,. What a waste.
(I'm sure Ken will appreciate that one)

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 10/27/06 03:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh Lordy, Lordy, Lordy --- can I ever. Had a guy show up with a Colt SAA that he couldn't get back together. Seems his local plater had chrome plated it to hell and gone at a good price. Couldn't understand why he couldn't get it back together again so thought I could. Sent it off to have it stripped & gave it back to him. Never saw him again.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Ken to tell the truth.... I bought it from him (stupid cheap). I took it to Bob Cogan in Tampa and he stripped it, replated it, brush finished it and reset all the type. I added the elephant ivory grips. At least I saved it. I actually I liked it so much I found a turd 1903 and had it done to match!

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1958, my dad had a gunsmith cut two inches off the 26" barrels of his recently acquired 20 ga Superposed. Said it shot too tight and no one seemed able to open the choke enough to suit him. Then to "balance" out that activity, he took a rasp to the stock and hollowed out an area along the top, just below the comb. Did a decent job of refinishing the stock. After he got it "right" He probably shot a million quail with that gun. I have it now, found a used set of 26" barrels as a replacement, and refinished the wood. But it still has that modified stock as a remembrance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doubbletrubble --- you say you made those grips ?? Looks like a mighty fine job you did there ol boy. Do you offer this kind of work to others ---- I might have some clients who could use your talents. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ken, No I added them. I had them cut by a guy you may have known from Colt. However I did just buy a bunch of ivory scraps and blanks from a guy that I was going to play with for inlays and such. Ivory is pretty easy stuff to work with and handgun grips are childs play compared to say restocking a sidelock! I have 2 lbs of the stuff now. The possibilities are endless. The biggest obsticle is getting good slabs with nice graining. The rest is pretty easy actually. I also git a couple of horns that my neighbor gave me that he knocked off a cow he slaughtered. I'll be boiling them up this weekend (outside of course) Whew!

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 10/27/06 07:03 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.