I would contact Julia's Auctions. I've dealt with a handful of auctioneers on the East coast - Devines, Amoskeag, Alderfer - and I think they do the best job.

If you don't want to go that route, I would sell the guns yourself via Gunsamerica.com and Gunsinternational.com. If your guns are good, people will pay top dollar for them.

But before I showed them to any dealer or auctioneer (or a potential buyer), I would have them looked over by someone who is a real expert in these kinds of guns. I would have them give you a detailed, written appraisal of each one and then I would go from there.

Auctioneers make mistakes. Some of them are know for some things and not for others. Others don't know English guns or have an established clientele for high-end stuff.

They're also willing to make big deals to get good guns - stuff like cutting their fees, eliminating costs to you, etc. You have to make sure they take care of you, too. A bad write up in their catalog can kill your stuff, as can crummy pics. I know it seems counterintuitive, but it does happen.

If you go to a dealer, remember this: they make their money on the buy. So it's in their best interest to pay you as little as possible. Even if you go the consignment route, you can still get burned. For that reason, I would insist on a full cash buyout up front. There aren't a lot of dealers in the US who can write a check for $50-$60,000, but some can and will. Just remember, they will do what they can to buy your guns for as little as possible (as will most people).

If you want more info, and some leads on people who can inspect those guns for you, feel free to email me at the address below.

Good luck.

OWD
hfn_03570@yahoo.com

BTW: I forgot to mention that this dealer is looking for Gordon guns:

http://www.gun-vault.com/

And I know Julia's is selling step to bidders in the UK and Europe. So they can tap you into that market (and no, I don't work there ).

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/01/08 07:15 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com