September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (shrapnel, Walter C. Snyder, Argo44), 258 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,925
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure Researcher did not tell you the Fox E [Philadelphia} was built on a Parker frame. Hmmmmmmm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

VaCollector: I'm not sure if you received my earlier PM. Since Raimey posted his thoughts which were the same as mine. If you decide to go the auction route I would recommend Ron Long at Charlton Hall Auctions & Digory Haddoke. True, Charlton Hall just completed their inagural sporting guns auction and learned a lot from that. Digory was involved in the appraisels & all gun measurements and I was highly impressed with his expertise. He will be back in June or July to appraise and measure guns for the December 2008 auction where he will also be present. Charlton Hall has been in the auction business since 1929 and has an international following. You can reach Ron at (803) 779-5678 or on his cell at (803) 466-6244. His e-mail is info@charltonhallauctions.com. He is straight as an arrow and will treat you right.

One problem in dealing with the U.K. auction houses is that they are forced to tack on a 17.5% VAT for guns being re-imported into the U.K. That, together with the shipping costs involved, would severely eat into what a qualified bidder would pay. Charlton Hall will send a bonded shipper to pick up your collection and I'm sure that Ron & Dig would travel to your place in Virginia to do the appraisels.

As also suggested I would consult with your tax attorney beforehand to learn how best to avoid excessive inheritance taxes
You seem to have an amazing and valuable collection and you must have been very special to your uncle.

Best Regards, George Lander
palmettotreasure@aol.com
Phone (803) 429-5828

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting collection indeed. I second the vote for Mr. Cote, and if he cannot or chooses not to offer his opinion, he will be able to direct you towards a number of excellent professionals who will. As for the P. F. DuPont, it does not appear to be a Parker action. From the looks of it, it is a true Philadelphia action. The floor plate is a bit different than a Parker, and it lacks a dolls head and the characteristic plug screws on a Parker. Philadelphia Gun made a decent number of firearms with recessed pins similar to a Parker early on. Boy does that Frasier have beautiful case colors and wood. Updated pictures would be a wonderful treat

Last edited by CMWill; 01/02/08 12:16 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That in my opinion is a Philadelphia fox..very nice indeed

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: VaCollector
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
If I were so fortunate to be in your position I would pay to have all the measurements and specifications verified by a recognized authority, including a condition report and appraisal.

..... enlist a reputable third party professional whose name can be used in the description, you eliminate a lot of the trepidation buyers have about cyber transactions.

Suggestions??

Perhaps Dig, or any of the double gun geniuses working in this country, Mr. Trevallion comes to mind.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not one that will ever be in the same rarified air as your fine collection, but being one that did have a bit to do with the collector car market, I have a suggestion. First, I would get no less than two but no more than three independent appraisals for each and for the collection, if purchased as a whole unit.

A call to the folks that run the "Vintagers" event may be able to give a you a suggestion or two also. No shortage of disposable income at those events.

Diggory Hadoke is the first to come to mind along with Charles Schneible of British Sporting Arms, Millbrook, NY. (www.bsa.com) The third is Toby at Heritage Guns (http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/hgframset.htm) All three have been most helpful to me with even the most mundane and trivial questions.

If I win the Lottery this week, I will send you a note and be on my way to take the entire lot off your hands!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Charlton Hall just completed their inagural sporting guns auction and learned a lot from that."

That has yet to be seen. The last thing you want to do with that collection is let a auction house that has not had sucess selling fine guns learn on yours.That is bad advice to "steer" (using RE term in its true meaning) someone with those guns there.
If you go with an auction house go with one that has SOLD guns in the six figures not one that is learning.

Last edited by Dave K; 01/02/08 10:00 AM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

"A Philadelphia Fox" is partially correct. Actually, "A Philadelphia Arms Company" gun (not Philadelphia Gun Company), made under the supervision of Ansley Fox, probably with the name "Fox" on the receiver.

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, what's all this talk about tax obligations? I don't understand any of that. Please explain.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.