September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (buckstix, bsteele, Argo44, Jolly Bill, 2 invisible), 181 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,854
Posts550,020
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Firearms Engravers & Gunmakers Exhibition in Reno, NV Jan 25,26, 27, 2008 at the Silver Legacy Resort will feature a historical display of American custom gunmaking.
Jointly sponsored by the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and the Firearms Engravers Guild of American the annual Exhibition consists of custom guns and engraving by the members.

The ]Special Historical Retrospective will include some 30+ American custom rifles and shotguns largely from the between the wars era. Well recognized craftsmen represented will include: R.G. Owen, Fred Adolph, Rudolph Kornbrath, Joseph Fugger, Wundhammer, Adolph Minar, Alvin Linden, Zischang, Tom Shellhammer, John Dubiel, and others. Well know firms such as Kirkwood Bros., Griffin & Howe, Sedgley, Hoffman and others will be represented.
This display will surely be one of the finest groupings of earlier American custom gunmaking ever seen in one location.

Guest curator Michael Petrov will attend and autograph his book on the subject along with other extremely knowledgeable collectors available to discuss the firearms.
I urge all those attending the Safari Club Int. Show in Reno that week to note the location and attend this unique event.
A truly singular opportunity to view the finest historic and contemporary American custom gunmaking!
More info: ACGG

(Michael, Terry, all, please chime in with photos or info on some of the guns to be shown)
Respectfully,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this the same display that was at the fine arts museum in Minneapolis a few years ago? If so, it is a great display.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An entirely different display than Minn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, This should be a wonderful display. I'm looking forward to seeing it and meeting Michael also.

Anyone that has a chance to attend should try to make the show. It's a great show for both the exhibitors and the guests - lots of room for everyone to move around.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm looking forward to this myself with special thanks to several folks who have worked hard to see this happen. I'll post some pictures of a few of the rifles and guns that will be on display.
There will be custom shotguns from makers such as Bob Owen and Hoffman Arms. Also included in this display will be IMO two outstanding single-shot sporting rifles, one by John Dubiel and one by A.O. Zischang.

As I get time I will post a list of what is going to be on display.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reno Show 2008

Anonymous:
Jack O’Connor’s Adolph Minar 1903 Springfield.

Charles
Unknown 1903 by same maker who made the rifle both I and Monte have.
A Griffin & Howe Take-down
VL&D marked rifle made by Owen
Two, Tom Shelhamer Mausers
Alvin Linden Mannlicher style rifle
Sedgley 1903 Springfield, a typical one.

Terry
1891 S & W pistol, engraved by Lynton McKenzie, cased with 1908
Olympic gold medal
Zischang Borchardt sporter .25-35
Bob Owen Shotgun
Griffin & Hobbs and/or John Dubiel low wall sporter(s) .25-20 or .22 LR (bring them both or pick one)
G & H 1897 Westley Richards .222
Pope Mauser/Griffin sporter 7 x 57
G & H Mauser/Fugger engraved .257 (Did we photo this and #24, the .350 G&H? Both are cased)
Hoffman/Kornbrath 28 gauge
Hoffman/Kornbrath 20 gauge

Paul
Wundhammer 1903 Springfield

Michael
Kirkwood 1903 Springfield
Bob Owen Remington Model 12

Mark
Full Military 1903 Springfield by G&H
John Dubiel High-Wall
Krag by Shelhamer
Ned Robert’s Krag Sporter
Townsend Whelen's Adolph Krag
Bob Owen .257 Mauser illustrated in Dunlap's book
A fancy Sedgley of his choosing

Monte
Harvey W. Rodgers
Plus, Will fill every blank space with as many Kornbrath & Fugger rifles as we may need 10-15

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is one of my favorite sporting rifles, one of the best I have ever seen. Both the metal and woodwork are outstanding. Made by Zischang, caliber 25-35 WCF. Notice the safety in the triggerguard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There will also be one rifle by an “Unknown” maker with the hope that someone will be able to shed some light on the maker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish I could be there, looks like it will certainly be drool worthy. That unidentified rifle is fantastic, hopefully you will get some good leads on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: StormsGSP
Wish I could be there, looks like it will certainly be drool worthy. That unidentified rifle is fantastic, hopefully you will get some good leads on it.

Hopefully there will be some pictures to post after it’s over. I know where three rifles are by this “Unknown” maker, this one is mine. Not being able to ID this maker has driven me to distraction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP, can you identify the engraver of the "unknown maker" rifle ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

Thanks for starting this thread. The depth of knowledge here is always amazing. One of the few places where learning occurs on a daily basis. I wish I could be in Reno, but am happy with this virtual sampling, thanks to Michael.

Pete

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Although I've been to most of the Guild shows, this one is going to be a particular treat. Not only am I looking forward to the historic pieces but I finally get to meet Mr. Petrov, after 15+ years of correspondence and phone conversations!

Also note the Safari Club (Jan. 23-26) show with (probably) H&H, Purdey, Hartmann & Weiss, D.M. Brown, Hofer, Fanzoi, Olendorf, Westley Richards, etc. some of the more recognizable foreign names, as well as Galazan and many of the elite American dealers.

Hope to see you there!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
MP, can you identify the engraver of the "unknown maker" rifle ?

Daryl,

I believe that the same person that built the stock, carved and checkered it also did the engraving. Pictures to follow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, if that is the case, then the "maker" of the rifle must have been mostly known for his engraving. At least it seems to me that engraving well is the hardest part of the gun, but of course the carving and checkering are very rare in that quality. Well, more photos will help judge the gun better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,

It's hard to tell what he was known for, if you took away the engraving and the carving you still have one heck of a well made rifle. The third rifle has no carving but is both engraved and finely made. Made by someone who understood how a rifle should be made.

My rifle and the rifle going to Reno both have a connection to Chicago so I would not be surprised to learn the maker was working there.

The owners name is on the floorplate, a well know person who lived in Chicago.

Last edited by Michael Petrov; 01/03/08 04:46 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can see that the curls are closed on the end in both the wood and metal and they both have a hole in the end, punched in the metal or cut in the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fascinating. Can you place a date on the rifle, knowing the owner ? I think we recently talked about a Chicago engraver who had a German background. Hmmmmm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that all three were made late teens or early twenty's. My rifle was made in 1919 so sometime after that it was customized. I have one suspect in mind but not enough evidence to even say his name, not an engraver however.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 28 Gauge Hoffman-Kornbrath.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re; The R.E. Maypole '03 Sporter: Could the floor plate w/name have been a later addition. The floorplate engraving appears (from a distance at least :>) to be a bit cleaner cut along with the fact of the entirely different style of oakleaf & acorn. Not that mixing styles isn't done and done often, but it just seems to be a harsh break in this engravers/carvers style. Great looking rifle. Nothing better than a well done prewar style 03 or Mauser sporter IMHO. Possibility of an ID inside the barrel channel. That would be too easy I suspect.
Thanks for (all) the great pics!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I LOVE that rifle, I really hope you find out who made it, talk about the total package. Very well may be my favorite Bolt action I have ever seen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP, who built the rifles for Russell C. Smith? Wasn't he from Chicago? He had a boatload of nice custom rifles, some probably built close to his home. The last RCS gun I "didn't buy" was a wonderful ebony stocked gun that a neighbor of mine sold to Jim Parker at Ohio Gun Collectors several years ago. I didn't notice the gun at the Jim Parker auction so it's out there somewhere. The wood is as black as the ace of spades, real weird gun but nicely put together. I don't remember whether it was engraved but most of Smith's guns were engraved. I wonder where it is today? Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, I have for some time believed that the gold name and the banner around the name (I'll try to do a good picture)were done by someone else. The gold is very well done,looks like whoever it was did a lot of gold work. The rifle headed to Reno also has some gold work on the floorplate so I'll get to look at more then pictures.

Bill: Dr. Russell Smith used a lot of different gunsmith but most were between the wars and a little later. If you have a serial number on the rifle with the dark stock I would be glad to try to find out if I have any information on it. I have an inventory of Dr. Smith's rifles taken around the time he died so if it was there then I have the info. The inventory has well over two hundred guns on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP, I didn't record the serial number or particulars of the gun because I thought it would be there when I got back to it. My neighbor from across the field is a serious collector, asked me about the gun and the inscribed (probably gold inlaid) initials. I told him that it was a Russell Smith gun and told him who Smith was. He didn't know. Thinking no one would buy a black gun, I thought I would make him an offer later on. In the meantime, Jim Parker snapped it up and buried it under his table. Oh, well. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that the "balls" at the end of the scrolls in the border around the gold name do not hae the "dot" that both the wood carving and the trigger bow contain in similar locations.

I agree with one of the above posters that this rifle is about the ultimate bolt action rifle. I hope Reno sheds some light on the maker!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
The owners name is on the floorplate, a well know person who lived in Chicago.

Michael,

I have lived in and near Chicago all my life. Who is R.E. Maypole? The name does not ring any bells for me. The only thought I had was there is a Maypole Avenue. Not sure who it is named for.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert E. Maypole Compact Disc #108 Pin #1006137
Sex: M
Event(s):
Birth: 1878 Place: Chicago, Cook Co., IL
Death: 17 Nov 1950 Place: Evanston, Cook Co., IL
Burial: Nov 1950 Place: Mount Carmel cemetery, Cook Co., IL
Parents:
Father: William T. Maypole Disc #108 Pin #1005792
Mother: Amelia Catherine Lendabarker Disc #108 Pin #1006134
Marriage(s):
Spouse: Lillian M. Wulff Disc #108 Pin #1006994
Marriage: bef 15 Apr 1910 Place: Chicago, Cook Cnty., IL?

Personal Information:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stutz and the rifle seem similar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always pictured Mr. Maypole running around in his Stutz with this rifle in it. Truth is I just have not had time to any research on Maypole.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stutz Bearcat and the Maypole rifle. Life would have been good. He appreciated quality.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.