September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (L. Brown, tanky, Southern Sport, Perry M. Kissam, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44), 217 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,061
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cary #75982 01/06/08 01:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Cary
Bill- Oscar and I had short conversation on this method several years ago on SSMBBS. He and i agreed that this wouldn't match properly done color case hardening but was acceptable on a gun valued at less than enough to make recoloring worth the cost. I quit posting the method because every time I mentioned a torch people assumed high temeratures and sent Chicken Little in screaming "The sky is falling and your going to blow up your gun. O My God, rush out and meaure the chambers first".

Iodine or a salt brine applied with a Q-tip will give you a dull red, pink if you buff it with 0000 steel wool.
Cary

Cary,

Thank you for confirming that about iodine. I keep wanting to try this as a project and never get around to it. I would think that with a little cold blue, plum brown and iodine, you could "dress up" an old beater a bit. It would never pass as the real thing, but still better than nothing.

Pete

LD1 #75987 01/06/08 01:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LD1
Thanks for all of the comments. What does re color hardening a gun do to the value of it? I have had a few double rifles re hardened. Every one of them had to be adjusted afterwards due to slight warping.

There's no pat answer to that. That depends on the gun, the gunsmith, the seller and the buyer. You'll get strong opinions from some individuals, and you'll have to decide for yourself. If 10 collectors tell you the gun has been devalued and then a custom-gun-lover like myself offers you twice what you have in it...what happened to the value?

You can't count on recovering your money from a refinished gun any more than you can from a remodeled kitchen. If you're concerned about the resale value of a gun, you'd best just leave it alone.

This is a 30-yr-old cyanide recase that I find attractive. Many here would have advised against it. It's a completely custom redo...not a restoration...yet I know I can sell it for twice what I invested.

LD1 #76020 01/06/08 11:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to see cyanide colors just look at a Del Greco "restored" Parker, then anytime you see those colors and skeet stamps on a Parker you will learn to hide.
bill

LD1 #76024 01/06/08 12:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

From my recollection, I believe that any recase-hardening of any double rifle makes the rifle "out of proof". I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Likely DelGrego cyanide re-case

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clyde Baker's "Modern Gunsmithing" (1933) has a good deal of information about cyanide hardening. It also contains caveats about the dangers of using the stuff- a dog died instantly from a drop in his eye and a photo engraver took a few steps before dying in midstep from using a glass which had a few drops in it. I'd be leary about mixing up a bucket of the stuff and cooking it on the stove. Unless my ex-wife's lawyer was coming to dinner.

Cary

Cary #76030 01/06/08 01:37 PM
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rumor has it that Ruger's Vaquero color is a printing process. If that is the case(no pun intended), then it would seem likely that the pattern and colors could be the same on different guns. I haven't had the opportunity to view two new guns side by side to compare them.

OB

LD1 #76032 01/06/08 01:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cyanide is the real thing. Used to case harden parts .002-.005 thick. We used it for parts that were subject to ware. Our quenching bath was oil, not water. it gave off different colors. I have an old Home Gunsmithing Digest from 1970, that lists using charcoal and also wrapping the piece in leather and cooking it that way for good colors.
That was close to 40 years ago and I wouldn't want to be around that stuff now.

Last edited by JDW; 01/06/08 01:49 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been playing quite a bit with the bone and charcoal process lately on scrap and test pieces. Warpage is a concern and critical parts need to be blocked before the process is started, but it is not really difficult. All of my students do this process for the baseplates of the steam engines I have them build. We just bought a larger heat treatment furnace from Brownells, but used the smaller furnace from there previously. All charcoal is purchased from there also. Here are some pictures of the procwss and finished parts.

[img]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v733/44-henry/?action=view&current=Onehotcrucibaledited.jpg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

OB, I had a chance to look at two Ruger old Buckeroo .45 Colt CAS revolvers--one was 35 prefix, the other 36. I bought the one with fewer scratches and blemishes as they were priced the same. I remember examining one and then the other rather than side by side for comparison so didn't notice a clonelike identicality of appearance greater than one would expect in two of any model of revolver with identical barrel length, finish, grips. The stuff appears to wear well based on age of the gun and it's primary use which I assume would be a fair volume of competitive shooting.

jack

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.