Rocketman,

I've hesitated to respond, because others here are certainly more versed about frame production than I am (likely Don Moody for one). All I know is what I can pull from Schwing's book.

Schwing stated on pg. 235 of his M21 book that Winchester did produce their frames in very large lots - with over 5,000 having been made the first year of production (1931). He then goes on to mention that only 615 guns sold that first year despite company speculation that they'd be doing 'big business' with the M21 - inspite of the ongoing depression.

The economy of mass producing the frames makes real sense, but how they were pulled by ser. number and put into final assembly apparently did (does) not, as he relates on preceding pg. 234. He mentions previously numbered frames being buggered up and scrapped during production, as well as entire trays of serialed rough frames languishing around for as many as ten years before being called up. This is how he explains the unreliability of dating M21s by ser. no., which is 'why' we're clearly dependent upon the Cody Museum for anything substantive.

Not that illuminating a post on my part, but that's how it came about according to Schwing, and I hope it's of some use.

Rob Harris

Last edited by Robt. Harris; 01/16/08 05:47 PM.