September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 448 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,876
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

More and more you see on the television how lead from all of the electronics is seeping into our water supply from ground fills, oh ammunition is made from lead, oh my, we must stop that this instant!!!! It's for our own safety and for the good of the children!!!
Sorry to say boys but we don't have a chance. And when do you recall the courts ever making a ruling based purely on scientific facts. As if the court system can read, they can't even understand a census, "Let's see now 51% is that a majority???"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me ask this; isn't "steel shot" more like iron than steel?

Another problem with lead, other than is potential harm to waterfowl, is that it has gone up considerably in price. I was to Gander Mountain yesterday and was shocked at the price of shotshells. $35.00 for a 25box of premium LEAD Remingtons! The 20ga slugs I bought just last fall for $2.50 per box of 5 are now $5.! Lead production was predicted, by those who follow those things, to be in full swing at this time. Lead, however, is a less common metal than steel/Iron. It appears the demand for it is not going away, unless the environmentalist shutoff China somehow. If we want to keep shooting we had better perpare for any possible future circumstance. That means keeping steel shot in the mix. Perhaps it is the only economical option for the future of hunting. I as well as anyone can read the writing on the wall. Shooting sports, especially shotgunning, are becoming a wealthy persons game. Keeping a large fraternity of shooters together for our preservation is going to be difficult. If steel shot becomes even more common place and provides a way shooters can keep shooting, that will be a good thing. I love the older guns too and I am hoping when I'm too old or too dead to use mine someone else can. To that end I offer this; I have a American Gun Company Hammer gun with steel barrels. I will see if I can't find my way clear to purchase some steel shot loads to run through this old gun. It has chokes that are open and the theory is that these should provide protection from damage. How many rounds would be required for a definative study I do not know. At current prices I could do 100 shell? What do you all think?

Best to you,
Kurt

Last edited by ben-t; 01/28/08 01:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a noble effort - be careful!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go for it Kurt. I want to believe today's shot cups will prevent scoring. A small scale test won't persuade me about potential for bulging from shot bridging with larger shot sizes. But consensus seems to be that shot bridging is unlikely with smaller shot, and some additional positive first-hand feedback there would be reassuring.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Subgauge - so tell me about it. I've researched a number of articles on the topic of lead and waterfowl and posted them to this list in the past. Some of the early stuff, and some of the very recent. The story hasn't changed. If anything it's become more pronouced. So, do a search. Meanwhile tell me what have you read to the contrary other than Lowell?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back to the Daisy's, what they shot was technically "Air rifle Shot" which indeed was a .177" dia. BB shot is .180" dia. While I do believe in the early days Air rifle shot was made of lead, I will be 70 come March & what I shot as a youth was already the copper washed steel. The "Red Ryders" I shot had a port in the tube surrounding the bbl & you just poured the "BB's (Yes we called them that too) in, held a Bunch. We had no need to cary any in our mouths. There were earlier models which were single shot & have heard of boys spiting the BB's down the bbl from the muzzle. A Daisy 25 pump had a positive feed & held about 50 shots, A Red Rider was a gravity feed & you could pour that tube full, several hundred as I recall but you needed to hold the muzzle "Skyward" while levering to insure feeding.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent
A few years back our gun club was forced to relocate. I researched goverment documents about the impact of lead being left on the ground not just on gun clubs but other locations as well. Also they were not just specific like the ones you reference about waterfowl.
The bottom line was that unless the ground was very acid or very alakline lead stayed where it was put.
Lead is one of the most abundant elements on earth. It has not leached into anything over the millions of years here on the planet. Do you know how solubable lead is in 7.0 ph water? Lead is not salt.
The problem is that the politicians use anything they can as a wedge to make themselves richer, if that means praying on the hysterics of the public then so be it.
Remember people are smart, the public is dumb.

Mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, there are indeed a number of studies of lead and waterfowl. However, there are almost none on the impact of lead on upland game birds--and that's the direction in which the ban is heading. Whether the science concerning waterfowl is good is no longer the question. We've gone down that road. But in the process, we also bought into the fact that eagles were dying from eating shot and unrecovered birds, resulting in ingestation of lead. As I've pointed out elsewhere . . . what has happened to eagles in the interim?

It was possible to point to waterfowl or eagles, in the past, as poster birds for lead restrictions. No longer possible to point to eagles for any kind of restrictions, other than those already in place. And no evidence where upland birds are concerned.

So why expand the ban into an area where there's essentially no science?? A lot of it looks very much like over the top green, feel good stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're on target Larry. And unfortunately, making the case for no evidence of harm will probably be fruitless. The public won't bother with the facts when the easy, green, feel good path is to "err on the safe side". They'll see no important benefits to our shooting lead, and will see arguably important benefits to a lead ban.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
Much of what you said sounds fine to me. I am sure it is somewhat leachable under some conditions but I don't claim to know much about that. Lead as a waterfowl toxin, is however, quite clear.

Larry, I have not looked for lead/upland bird issues, except the condor issue which is quite real. Otherwise, I can't say. Maybe I'll look into that. No evidence is not, however, the same as no effect. I would be surprised if there is one, but I'd not say one way or the other w/o looking first.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.