Just my observation, but I believe the argument of whether to faithfully remake the M70 is moot.

Those that are old enough or nostalgic enough to want a real pre-64 will seek them out and settle for no remake, faithful or not.

The new one could be made to much higher quality but then even that fact would be snubbed by some. The fact that they are made in any other place than the original building would be snubbed. The fact that the owners are just using the Winchester name under license would be snubbed. It'd go on forever.

Frankly, I think the opportunity to capitalize on fixing the mistake made in 1964 has passed. That was FORTY-FOUR years ago! I'd be surprised if this current version could be a business success in just the traditional walnut/blue steel configurations. It'll take modern variations of plastic stocks, stainless and maybe titanium to stay viable in todays massproduced boltgun market. A walk thru any large volume boltgun dealer's shop will confirm this. The younger hunters buy new guns. Older hunters either have their guns or are looking for that one they always wanted, you know... that pre-64.

BTW, I have a USRAC "Classic" pre-64 clone in .264 with the BOSS. No. That ugly BOSS is not traditional, but that thing really works.