September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (R Reynolds, SKB, 4 invisible), 448 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,865
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hansli,
I can't answer completely but I am using it on cherry right now and while the wood is not yet finished, it looks like it will be very little or no effect. I would do the whole piece were I do to a stock but with more soaking up near the head where the recoil will matter most.

Perhaps Doug can tell us more about such things from a stockman's perspective.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I'll try to answer some of your questions with some qualifiers: If the wood is one of the American walnut varities which it looks like it, I have found this porous wood to generally be more brittle than smaller pored wood. This would make stocking the gun more difficult. Open pored wood is, as has been stated above, a lot harder to fill than small pored wood. Oh, and it checkers like dog doo doo.

IMHO, you're much better off buying a nice dense small pored blank to make a stock from and drill lightening hole in the butt if needed.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

All walnuts are open pored wood. Maple and Myrtle are closed pore wood. Within the walnuts, some wood of any variety can be MORE open or closed pore. Just being more open pored doesn't mean this wood is soft. I am finishing a faily open pored piece of Claro right now which is the damnably hardest piece of any kind of walnut I have EVER worked. Many places I had to use a file instead of sandpaper. It has been cut out maybe 50 years and has tempered to amazing hardness and has cost me all kinds of time in finishing.
Now the ONLY advantage of English (Juglans Regia) is that it cuts so well. Black and Claro and Bastogne are rather chippy. English works much easier and cleaner. You can use larger cutting tools without the worry of chipping you get with the other walnuts. The other walnuts are often harder, but they are still chippy. Thus, English takes less time to finish. You have to fill all walnut pores (one way or another).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.