September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (snapcap, Ted Schefelbein, Drew Hause, SKB, 2 invisible), 197 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,906
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
It's on page 10 of the Webley & Scott catalog

http://rbsiii.com/nitro_express/Webley%20&%20Scott%201914%20Catalog.pdf

There's a picture of a Webley Screw grip gun on page 9...use the zoom tool to check it out.

No Webley guns on either page, nor any screw grips.

Quote:
Check out the third fastener on the W & C Scott on page 19..picture 196

No screw grips. Greener cross bolt and a Jones UL.

Quote:
On page 24 on one of Scotts cheaper hammer guns there appears to be a dolls head with a screw grip.

Falling block single shot on that page. If whatever page you're looking at has a Scott hammergun, it won't have a screw grip. Scott didn't use them.

Quote:
One thing I am sure of those Evans originally posted were not common screw gripped actioned back locks.

Actually, they are. Those Evans are Webley W & R 1st models illustrated on the bottom half of page 20.

You've really gotten confused somehow, which isn't hard with the Scott/Webley guns after the merger. The screw grips were Webley's invention, not Scott's, and Scott guns didn't use them. After the merger in 1897, the W & C Scott and P. Webley lines were kept distinct right up until the Scott line was discontinued in the 1930s. Look at the catalogue. The Scott guns appear under "W & C Scott & Son's Specialties" and the guns were marked "W & C Scott & Son". Webley's line appears under "Webley & Scott Ltd." after the merger, and were usually marked "Webley & Scott". That's the easiest way to distinguish the Webley from the Scott models. The screw grips were only used in Webley's line, never Scott's.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

HJ, I am happy to admit an error but there is no evidence presented that gives any indication that this pair of Evans are anything but W&R Screwgrips finished to No 1 special standard.

As mentioned there are two major screwgrip variations; one with a doll's head (per the Evans) and another with a straight extension that is stepped down for the "screw grip" grip to engage. The doll's head has the step at the back of it, too. None of these extensions are in any way hidden.

For more detailed information on screw-grips, (supported by photographs), see the following from these esteemed British gun experts:

Geoffrey Boothroyd, "Boothroyd on British Shotguns, chapter 'The Webley Screw Grip" p. 216-221. Photo shows the doll's head variant with barrels raised to show top extension." Also a screw-grip Evans sidelock.

Douglas Tate, "Birmingham Gunmakers," p 114 for technical explanation, p. 118 for photo of W&R No. 1 with doll's head extension clearly visible.

Ron Forsyth, "The Ubiquitous Screw Grip" a long feature article in Shooting Sportsman magazine with many pics of both variants, a patent drawing showing doll's head; moreover page from W&S 1922 catalog (1922, I think) clearly showing doll's head top extension on both screwgrip W&R sidelocks and screwgrip A&W boxlocks.

Last but not least our resident expert "Smallbore" -- Diggory Hadoke "Vintage Guns," p. 133 explaining bolting system and pic of straight, stepped extension variant.

A single author of this calibre could conceivably be wrong; it is most unlikely that all of them are!

Blackadder #87252 03/10/08 08:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that a drawing of the Screw Grip on page 10 of this Webley and Scott catalog ?

If it's not it's a catalog misprint because it plainly says "Screw Grip" designed by Mssrs. Webley

I stand corrected...PDF file #'s

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 03/11/08 03:01 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

HJ looks at the PDF file page numbers, and everybody else is looking at the catalog page numbers.
So yes, there is a drawing on PDF page 10, and it is a screw grip.
Screw grips do have a rib extension. (it is on the drawing if you what it looks like).
Those Evans sidelocks definitely have screw grips. One of the clues is the Horseshoe around the toplever.
Best regards,
WC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto Wild Cattles responses.

Crawford & Whatley in their "History of W&C Scott Gunmakers" tell us W&S introduced the Proprietary Hammerless in 1900 and that more than any other W&S models these were largely machine produced -- on "the interchangeable principle." They also tell us these were "fitted with the Webley Screw Grip ..." (p 69). As illustrated, these obviously have the straight stepped top-extension variant.

The older A&W screwgrip boxlocks (p. 21 of catalog) were somewhat more expensive and distinguished by intercepting sears in the better grades and I suspect most have the doll's head variant top-extension. On page 28 of the 1914 catalog there is a double-rifle variant so illustrated. Lots of W. Evans screw-grip boxlocks have these interceptors.

Most of the W&R screw-grip sidelocks I've come across have the doll's head variant.

Blackadder #87292 03/11/08 02:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this a screw grip ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
It's on page 10 of the Webley & Scott catalog

There's a picture of a Webley Screw grip gun on page 9...use the zoom tool to check it out.

Check out the third fastener on the W & C Scott on page 19..picture 196

On page 24 on one of Scotts cheaper hammer guns there appears to be a dolls head with a screw grip.

I'm beginning to think God only knows the variations in the guns made by Scott. I've got a 1915 Scott Sidelock that doesn't appear in the 1914 catalog in exact form.

One thing I am sure of those Evans originally posted were not common screw gripped actioned back locks.

The catalog page numbers I referred to are actually PDF file page numbers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, that is not a Screw Grip. Well, not a variant I've ever seen, anyway. Show us a photo of the spindle - looking at the face of the breech. If it is a Screw Grip, the threads on the spindle will be clearly visible in the rib extension slot. Also, the gun you show uses a tapered slot to achieve bolt to slot fit and to offset wear. The Screw Grip moves the bolt up and down on the threads. The photo below is of a Woodward marked "Proprietary" model.

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/11/08 07:08 AM.
Rocketman #87316 03/11/08 08:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just posted the pic because I think some guys on here think every gun with a lever bite is a screw grip.

I noticed no Dolls head on the Woodward...."Proprietary" model is what Mssrs. Webley called it in the catalog.

I've got my doubts as to Webley ever making a screw grip with a Dolls head ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Left gun is a Woodward of about 1892 with the inclined ramp, middle gun is an Screw Grip Army & Navy of 1898 with a doll's head, and right gun is the straight slot Screw Grip Woodward marked Proprietary. A picture really is worth a lot of words!

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/11/08 09:43 AM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.