That's easy. "W" is part of the cocking system in the two-part patent 3053 of 1882 -- see line 20 in patent for explanation. A fuller explanation starts at line 90. If you like a shorter explanation specifically about this function see David Baker and Ian Crudgington's The British Shotgun Vol II (p. 112-113). For Baker & Crudgington's descripton and explanation (with photo and illustration) of the Screw-grip component of patent 3053, see pp. 56-57. Note those authors separate discussions of the two parts of the patent, as the first is not dependent on the second to function.

I do not think many Screw grips -- or many Webley guns, for that matter -- were made with the Webley & Brain cocking system. I've never seen an example, but that is not to say they do not exist. If one does, I'd love to see a pic (I can ask Mr Baker about this if you'd like to know more but may take some time to get an answer.) Regardless, I would state with some confidence they are certainly nowhere as common as the Webley & Rogers screw grip sidelock and Anson & Webley screw grip boxlocks — the screw grip bit, BTW, describes only the treble grip system employed on both. Mssrs Rogers and Anson, respectively, supply the cocking mechanism (via the barrels dropping) on these commercially successful Screw grip variants. Ditto the Anson-type cocking on Proprietary Gun.

Last edited by Blackadder; 03/12/08 09:44 PM.