September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ArtLavely, SKB, battle, Walter C. Snyder, steve voss, 1 invisible), 485 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,933
Posts550,850
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketmon'(Iv'e been talking to a Scotsmon on the Island of Sky', Those Hairy Kilted Chaps really know their Gunmaking) The question that arose' was 'When did the Proof-Houses on the Merrie Island of St.George, start proofing each barrel submitted, with TWO PROOF LOADS...and my question still is"Why"? Maybe you have seen it published somewhere?? cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are several reasons to proof a gun. In Mery ol', all new guns need be proofed. Europe requires that new guns also need be proofed, but since I once bought a rifle by a major Euro maker, and the damned thing would not chamber a round. I looked and the damned thing had never been CHAMBERED! It was, however, proofed! As it turns out, that particular nation only proofs a few out of a hundred guns. It would never happen in England as they never were much with bolt guns, so naturally, cannot be so trusted.

Of course, other reasons to proof a gun include when there has been a chamber lengthening, a honing beyond the proof limits, or when nitro proofing a Damascus gun. I don't know if the failed Purdeys may have been old Damascus guns with dangerously thinned and chamber lengthening barrels coming back for a nitro proof. That would make a lot more sense than brand new guns.

A bit on materials now. There are two different but very important steel strengths. One is Ultimate Strength. That is the pressure at which a piece of steel (barrel) will fail by blowing/cracking/splitting/etc. Another steel strength is Plastic Strength. This is the pressure where a piece of steel will expand to while under a load but return to the original shape. Over this amount, there is a plastic deformation, and the steel will be deformed. A barrel bulge is a form of this. The proof tests carefully measure the barrels at a number of critical areas before and after proof pills are fired. If there is any measureable deformation, the barrel has failed proof test. Of course, blowing a barrel is the worst form of failure. There is also the preliminary visual test by the proof house. The barrels fail if the barrels are loose to the frame, if they have bulges, or pits. They must visit the smithy and these things be fixed before the tests can continue.

Stuff happens (like the stainless Sako barrels in a certain serial number range of which at least 6 blew up). However, I would be very surprized if new Purdey barrels blew. It might make one send ones guns to Birmingham, instead.

Of course, this solves the question of which is better, LC's and Parkers or those Brit things. No LC or Parker has ever failed the London house. Proof positive, wouldn't you say, David?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete, I dont think you had an answer to my question.dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, my sincere appologies. Jealousy got better part of me. Who knows I might loose an eye or injure my arm shooting my best clunker in NC this weekend. When one's number is up it's up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I can only tell you that there is NO statistical reason to shoot TWO proof loads through a single barrel.

Pete the Mechanical Engineer

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rumours are of NEW guns blowing up and at least one old double rifle.

The Proof House sent us all a letter Feb 2007 (from memory)telling us that they were now firing double proof charges - they quote CIP regulations as a justification.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets remember many of them new London guns are leaving for points East of the Oder to places like Moscow, Ole' Leningrad,.... Our folks think "double proof" vodka is good and those weak puny English drinks ......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
The rumours are of NEW guns blowing up and at least one old double rifle.

I was under the impression that for new guns the barrels were proofed in the white, to avoid the waste/destruction of costly work should something go "wrong"???
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who said the barrels failed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B Frech
I guess I've never really understood the determination of parameters for proof testing. If a a piece of machinery is built to withstand specific stress limits, how do you determine how far beyond those limits should be considered safe?

Suppose you need to design a pipe to withstand 12,000 psi. Because of life safety issues you multiply the 12,000 psi by a safety factor of 5 and get 60,000 psi. You then design the pipe to withstand up to 60,000 psi. Then you build the pipe and you subject it to a proof test of 24,000 psi.

I made up the safety factor of 5. I have seen them as high as 100 (cranes). I completely left fatigue stress considerations out etc...

Best,

Mike

Edit - Safety Factors are arbitrary to my mind. Based on experience and science and statistics I imagine.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 04/25/08 10:53 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.