June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Drew Hause, prairie ghost, graybeardtmm3), 421 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,585
Posts546,746
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, can't find fault with these nice original high conditioned guns. You've an eye for 'em - sir!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 11/08/06 07:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dogdigger
to say hello and nice board.

I think the trigger guard has been removed at one time and not "seated" correctly upon reinstallation. Some of the leaves appear to not line up about the same amount as the gap.

I also think that dogdigger has it right. Besides some of the edges of the leaves not lining up, notice the bottom of the knee of the figure at 9 o'clock on the trigger plate. There's an obvious misalignment between the two pieces. The plate needs to be seated forward enough to close the gap and the edges will align.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn

This H&H is an example of Grifnee's interpretation of a style that has been around since classical Greece. If one is to be critical of art, one should know the context, or "structure" in which the art can be discussed. The piece also looks as if may not be in completeley original factory condition, showing some wear from the trigger plate being manhandled, causing the "gap". I am posting a phto of some Philippo Negroli work from 1533.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

And this is from a Negroli Burgonet, 1539.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands

And this is a Purdey, 1926.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands

My point being, as that as a work of Art, the Holland in this thread is a very nicely done and well executed piece when viewed in the structure of its style. Of course everyone is entitled to their own likes, or dislikes, but it can be a good thing to appreciate it in context of its structure, unless one is blessed with the good fortune to be able to see all the world through the eyes of a child.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry,
'sounds like wine...the more you know about it, the more you can appreciate the good stuff. Unfortunately, the not so good stuff doesn't appeal as much as you get more sophisticated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried looking at the Berretas through the eYes of a child and I still can't appreaciate them.
L.F.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of most interesting aspects of the artisinal crafts revival in our 'New Victorian' era, has been a steady rise in the quality of contemporary work.

I first noticed it in the recreation of American longrifles when John Bivins, Monte Mandarino, Wallace Gusler and others of similar skill began to do work equal to the crafts of the Renaissance. Mannerist styles, Grotesques, Baroque and Rococco scrolls, and lush acanthus leaves adorned recreations of great museum quality historic arms.

The scholars and engravers heregathered will find the above paragraph to be the barest inadequate sketch of this revival, but Gifnee's interpretation of the historical artistic precedents speaks for its ownse'f, brudda.

We live in fortunate days, indeed, when such work and scholarshipis readily available at the click of a key. Mr. Hand's photo collection of original work is worth a book, for the edifcation of those of us not fortunate enuff to have studied these masterpieces.

The was a small exhibition within the past few years, called "Three Hundred Years of Gunmaking", or close to that. The catalogs are unobtanium, but well worth the cost for comparison between the modern masters and their predecessors.

Keeps those good pics a rollin' in, cowboys.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is an Harry Kell c 1940,upcoming Shooting Sportsman Article by Victor Ventors/Trevallion. The Fred Scales'Mystery Gun'.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.