September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (mel5141, azgreg, Vol423, 1 invisible), 481 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,863
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to see you fellows got the "buttie" thing sorted out.For your info "Rosie Lee" is Cockney rhyme slang for tea. Not that I have a drop of English blood in me, but being married to a "Lancashire Lass" for 35 odd years has enabled me to become somewhat
bi-lingual.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The last factory loaded 4 gauge shells were done by Eley in the early 80's and they were all 3 ounce if memory serves. About the only semi-commercial source these days is Alan Myers. I was in his shop a few years ago and saw his giant 4 gauge reloading setup. The powder and shot bottles on the press were gallon size. It was pretty impressive, more so when I found out he'd built the whole thing himself from scratch. He uses an all plastic case that he had the molds made up for.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my conversations w/ Mr. M.V. Highsmith, I learned that he once owned a W.W. Greener(I believe) single 4 bore that he goose hunted with. His story was that it was guaranteed(by whom I'll have to ask) to down a Botswana Swan(I couldn't find a pic and may be recanting incorrectly) at 120 yards w/ a 1/4 lb of shot charge. Being curious as to how much lead was involved from an empirical standpoint, I inquired as to how much lead would be needed. He leaned his head back, raised his eyebrows and said "an adequate amount". I waited in silence for what seemed like an eternity, which was actually about 2 minutes, and then pressed him on the issue wanting some quantifiable distance in chains, furlongs, yards and his only response was "oh, from about here to the fireplace." Sadly, he had long since sold the longarm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gentleman who loaned me the Holland & Holland told me to lead the really long ducks about the length of an iron farm gate. It worked, I killed a couple super long birds that day. Or super long for me anyway.....

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bouvier
A "buttie" is a fried potato sandwich .... Sometimes called a Chip sandwich. At the high class places they are fried in butter .... at the pubs near the ports they are fried in bacon drippings .... yummmmmmm . Just the thing to set you up for a night of strong ale .....

Al

I believe it is the same as an Irish "Boxtie". Like a potato pancake taco.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know they still call them a buttie in Down Patrick and that's the heart of Northern Ireland.

D

Sidelock
Sidelock

I refrained until now from commenting on this because it really is a Brit thing. A buttie is a sandwich, a chip buttie is a chip sandwich, a bacon buttie is a rasher sandwich. What the US calls chips we call crisps, what the US call fries we call chips.... same school of English as a rug and a mat, 'cept when it is on a head and it's a wig! Proper chips are twice-fried in lard,however the Belgians say that they should be fried in horse fat, it's an oil boiling-point/temperature thing. Boxty has nothing to do with it, that would not be put in a sandwich... ever.
http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/2kitch/rPotatoes.html

Also have a look at Champ, if you are of a culinary bent!
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 4 bore double gun at Cabelas is #1923 Sold in 1870 to Captain Ingham. The history of this gun and its owner is given on page 59 of David Bakers excellent book, "Thomas Horsley, Gunmaker of York."
To purchase acopy of this book contact: david.baker14@btinternet.com

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Buttie is a Sarny(ie) ..or sandw(H)ich.....at least when I grew in Somersetshire...I think they could hold other things than just "Chips"....but Chip butties sure rings bells
Rather have a pint O' Scrump then Fen Beer anytime...you can drink..or sprinkle it on your chip buttie in stead of Sarsons Malt
Still can't spell the queens english
cheers
Franc

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.