September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (lagopus, KDGJ, SKB, David Williamson, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 222 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,894
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to a map that shows drought areas in the US. If you look at the bottom of the page there is an animation that lets you go back twelve weeks and watch the change.

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

My shooting student Joe Wood sent me the link last year.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The good is that we just had some rain in SoCal over the last couple days. Not much, but it was measureable. Hopefully it not only gets the quail in a romantic mood, but also helps keep the cheat grass alive. Last season, I found that even the cheat grass was either gone where it had traditionally been, or was devoid of seed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, have hatches from what we call "golfballs with legs" to nearly half growns and things look reasonable for a good population this year. And I do not believe they are done hatching. Tom

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was driving back south from NorCal on I5 Friday and it rained hard for about 45 minutes until I hit the 99 cutoff to Bakersfield. I'm hoping that the coast ranges between that area and the ocean got a decent dose of water. But weather.com says that Arroyo Grande got nothing on Friday? Maybe only the mountains got rain. Seal Beach where I am got about 1/3" of rain from this storm, but our only resident quail are on the Naval Weapons Station/Natnl. Wildlife Refuge (the Marines won't let me hunt 'em--I already asked.).

I'm gonna be up in Limestone Canyon at dawn Tuesday morning checking camera traps and will listen and look real hard for quail.

Chuck, I assume your interest in cheat grass is chukar-related?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm also a southern California quail hunter. I live in Irvine and hunt with a French Brittany Spaniel. I has preparing a huge post and got shut out when I ran on too long. While annual rainfall is important, it is usually of greater importance when we get it. Our spring has been fairly wet, green buds and bugs bode well for our feathered friends. I'm relatively optomistic. Just like Chuck said there was no seed on anything, here or in Baja.

A note on Baja, don't travel alone at night, especially on the Ensenada Toll Road. Speak some spanish and act respectfully to the laws of Mexico and it's people. Not a guarantee that you won't have a problem but it has served me well during the 35 years I have hunted in Mexico.

Mike and Chuck we ought to meet and compare notes, maybe we could put together a hunt this fall.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I'm a newbie in Orange County/SouCal but have been working for Irvine Ranch Conservancy a couple of days a week for the last six months, so I'm in your area a lot and am getting to know the coastal mountain habitat a bit. Yeah, we should compare notes some time. I'm retired, so have the most open schedule of the three of us, I guess. PM me any time or email to armstgeo@hvcc.edu (my old work email, which my employer lets me keep so they can ask me for money periodically.....).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike C,
Let's do it.

Mike A.,
Yes, the cheat grass seed is a popular feed and I find them in it regularly in the area I hunt, most years. There's also lotus and turkey mullien in the area. In some wetter seasons, I've seen rye grass as well.

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/29/08 01:42 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Act respectfully to the laws of Mexico and it's people."
Your kidding?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My book on Calif quail has data from the 1940's on quail feed/browse. The list is quite extensive. It seems they eat seeds primarily (no surprise) but switch to leafy plants when seed aren't available or mix it up. Also it seems that local water availability may not be a requirement (at least for Gambels) if there's bugs and high water content leafy plants available.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For what it's worth, I spent all day Tuesday in northern Orange County canyonland; walked and four-wheeled over many miles of those wrinkles. I heard quail calling in just about every side canyon that had any cover/water at all; saw cocks doing sentry duty on many high points (boulder tops, snags, tall bushes). Lots of dusting sites, too. I don't know if this proves that they are reproducing well this year (don't remember much about their life cycle behavior) since I saw no chicks. But it made me feel hopeful, even though most of this area is a no-hunting zone (part of it is in the Cleveland Natnl. Forest, which is open to hunting when not closed for fire hazard).

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.