September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Drew Hause, Karl Graebner, SKB, playing hooky, MattH, 1 invisible), 539 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,852
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a few have posted and I for one agree, every once in a while there is a good deal. In some stores the people are more knowledgeable about guns then in other stores. In their defense with all the guns they carry, would you as an employee be able to tell someone about each and every gun they carry, no way. There should be a file card within access to each and every one who works there to go to and see what that gun has ie; guage, caliber, stock length, drop, barrel length, chokes, condition, cracks, etc., etc.
I also agree that some don't know which end is up.

I do know a little about L.C. Smiths and some of their descriptions make me laugh, example: "Light weight No. 0 frame means the entire gun only weights 6 1/4 lbs".

OWD wrote on another forum and I replied to not feel bad that I had missed out also on a Crown Grade for $2300, single trigger, ejectors, 32" barrels, Monte Carlo Stock. I asked why it sold so cheap, their answer was "becasue of the 32" barrels, not everyone likes them". At 10% condition it was still worth $3000.

So not all guns are over priced and if you think that this one is overpriced let me know. Zabala Churchill, Regent 1V, 12 ga, ejectors, 25" barrels imp.cyl/mod, Anson forend release, chopper lump barrels, straight stock oil finish. 24 lpi checkering. $350.00

I have a few others also. Plus where can you get a 30 day refund if you don't like it.

Added this also. If Cabela's is high check out some of the gun auctions and see what guns are bringing, and look at the same sellers who have had the same guns on there for 6 months or better. To me a lot are over paid for what they are, it's like a buying frenzy (Czar's gun?). Where else can you view so many different guns.
The computer age of viewing and buying is making guns get listed for more, just like cars, there is an a$$ for every seat and sometimes that a$$ is ours.

Last edited by JDW; 06/09/08 11:42 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have been following this discussion and a couple of other similar threads over the last couple of months with interest. And I guess I am not tracking, and would second JDW's observation above. I just left Cabaela's site, and in the English boxlocks alone, there are at least half a dozen listed in the $2k and less range which, on surface, seem to be pretty good buys. Out of interest, I called on one of them, and had a long discussion about the gun with a patient young man who was "still learning", by his admission, about SXS's. No expert for sure, but a seemingly honest guy doing his best with what I am sure he thought was a pretty demanding customer. Oh yes, the phone was answered on the second ring, I was immediately transfered to the library, and the gun was in the store. The salesman tore it apart, rang the barrels, shook it with the forend off, and gave me his honest opinion on condition. He then knocked $250 (10%) off the price. We'll see if it meets his description, but I know there will be no problem returning it.

I guess I tend to follow my friend Bill's observation, that "guns are where you find them." Sure, on that same list are several others which, on surface, seem to be over priced. They are at least more expensive than I am willing to pay for them. I just don't understand why I would allow an over priced gun to somehow make me so angry that I wouldn't purchase a fairly priced one. Particularly when every sales or auction site on the web has some guns at least which seem to be more expensive than they should be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
They just want you to feel stupid for not acting a little faster when you couldn't have to begin with. Ignore them. They are way overpriced anyway. Good luck.

I agree, just ignore them completely. Ups my odds considerably if everyone on this forum will follow Jimmy's advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you keep on looking there are going to be great deals out there. I don't bother because there is nothing in existance I need or want. Frankly I rather put extra money into my next vacation trip instead tying up more $ in dust collectors. Good hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had but one experience with them. I saw a nice prewar European SxS 16ga on their website. Called and got a sales person who went and retrieved the gun. I started to ask my check list of questions about the gun and not even midway down the list, the man interupted me and said that there was no need to go any further. I said why not..and he said because he was going to buy the gun himself. He promptly hung up on me. I called the store back and asked for the dept manager and explained what had just occurred. He told me that while he would talk to the employee about his lack of people skills, he didn't see anything wrong with his transaction as the employee had the right to purchase the gun...Good bye..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, are you kidding? You must have been talking to the same guy in a different voice.;) That is simpley amazing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I talked with Cabelas today about a gun. I thought it over priced but what the heck it's only a phone call..Glendale Arizona to be exact.
Got some English sounding chap...talked with him about a gun they had. I asked him if it was a consignment gun...he said no. According to him the gun was in good shape mechanically...(the last guy at Cabelas that said that sold me a gun that was off face).
I guess because he had an English accent I was supposed to think he knew something.

I then told him that if the gun was in good mechanical condition it was at least a thousand maybe fifteen hundred dollars over priced because of almost no remaining finish...blackpowder proof...and short chambers. Short stocked with too much drop.

I told him if I bought the gun at the price he was asking and decided to sell it....I would be in for a very long wait.
He replied if someone doesn't buy it in six months to a year he might come down in price.
I'm beginning to think these guys live in a dream world...he's trying to sell a nostalgic shooter at best..not a collectible gun.

Here's the gun.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11655

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabellas or Johnny down the block, there are two kinds of guns--flagpole and anxious to morph into cash. I can't afford to salute the first; I can sometimes afford to expedite metamorphosis for the desperate, the unengaged, and the congenitally reasonable. I'd bet the Cabellas price according to their view of what the market will bear rather than their view of what I will. AND, the bird in the hand tomorrow is on the wing today. I believe that's called the luxury of waiting for the right buyer.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Few months from now I'm going to take a couple good guns to Hamburg, PA store and try to sell them. I'm tired of guys in local shops trying to "...-rape" me. Basically I'm going to look at some land to buy, and I can't imagine getting worse deal, because that would be like to giving them things away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit

I believe that's called the luxury of waiting for the right buyer.

It's also called waiting for a sucker.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.