September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Chantry, Drew Hause, 3 invisible), 435 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,873
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#98502 06/14/08 06:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have one of these and if yes what do you think of it? I saw a 28 ga. s/b/s today marketed by CZ. The gun was very finely made with everything well fitted externally. I know it's made in Turkey, and the Turks have little history of gunmaking. Nonetheless I thought it well done and quite handy. What's your opinion --- only if you own one and not if you manifest the prejudice we all as double gun owners hold against certain countries of origin as sources of good guns. Remember when the Spanish were looked down on, even as some of their finest makers
could compare with London Bests? And what about the griping when the first Mirokus showed up? Later to be Browning's BSS "Japanese parts assembled in Korea"? They were great bargains when they sold for $250 brand new! Thank, Chopperlump

Last edited by chopperlump; 06/14/08 10:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I Have 2, 0ne in 20 ga. and the other in 28 ga. I've had them for at least 4 years, bought the 28 when it first came out and the 20 a month or so after that. Both have had over 4 flas through them, mostly at pasture clays. The 20 is used mostly for ducks over decoys using bismuth no. 5s or Kent Matrix no. 5s and 3s. Have killed a big Canada at 30 yds. with no. 3 Kent Matrix. Neither of these shot guns have given a problem. The 28 is my early season grouse and woodcock shotgun. Have better makes os shotguns but these Turkish shotguns have worked wellfor me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a Bobwhite so I will give you an opinion based on personal experience in the field. I bought a 410 a couple of years ago because there are very few options for a properly scaled smallbore doubles anywhere near that price range. The same holds true for the twenty-eight gauge. The next least expensive choice would be a spanish boxlock but you have to decide if it is worth it to step up to something like a Ugartechea. I think you are making a wise decision if considering a CZ to go with the Bobwhite. With two triggers and extractors as long as regulation is good there is less to worry about than there would be with a SST gun. If I could get one without choke tubes I would have probably already gotten a twenty-eight gauge Bobwhite to play around with and let my wife use when she hunts with me. That Bobwhite I own has given me no problems at all and been a complete joy to hunt with.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would you not get choke tubes? A friend of mine is looking at a 12ga. for sporting clays and just plain fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Katt
Why would you not get choke tubes?

I don't need them. The only two barrel gun I own that has them is a Classic Doubles 101. In 18 years since I bought the gun nothing but the I/C and mod tubes have ever been in it. Also, on the CZ guns with choke tubes there is a noticeable flaring of the barrels at the end. I don't like the blunderbuss look, especially if I would never be switching chokes. The exceptions for CZ are the 16 gauge and four-ten which come with fixed chokes. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several of my friends at C d'A Skeet & Trap have them in most of the gauges, and all seem to be really great guns for the money. One friend did quite a bit of patterning with his two and a couple of low priced Spanish doubles. The Turkish guns were much better regulated then the cheap Spanish guns both of which crossfired.

The Turks have been pretty good with firearms for quite a few centuries. Ask the Brits and Aussies who faced them at a place known as Gallipoli. Remember the Ottaman Empire? Seems to have been the only outfit to ever maintain any stability in the Near East.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one. Weighs 5.4 lbs with 26" barrels which is the only length offered. The screw in chokes are a "feature" but I have to agree with Snipe; I prefer the smooth barrel profile. Specs on my gun are: LOP 14 5/8; DAC 1 1/2; DAH 2 1/8. Balances 4 5/8" in front of the front trigger. I calculated MOI as .94. I thought the trigger pulls were a bit rough and stiff so I stoned and polished the surfaces and side of the components to eliminate burrs, etc. This really smoothed out the action. I've not had any of the doubling or broken firing pins that you hear of. Don't expect to find flat springs inside; it is a single coil spring. Not pretty or elegant but functional. I wanted to try a 28 and there is nothing even close to the price range in other makes either new or used.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 2, a 28 and a 12. My son has a 16. The 28 has thousands of rounds thru it, nary a bobble. The 12 I bought to shoot steel in, and it has done well, not as many miles on it.Excellent value for money.

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't think you can beat them for the money in terms of combined appearance, weight and handling. Had picked up a Ringneck in 20 ga and a Bobwhite in 28 ga on the internet fairly recently and just returned from my brother's place where we shot field clays this weekend. Both shot very well and everyone there who shot them liked them as well. Have a Bobwhite in .410 now en route to me as well.

SH is correct that the ones with choke tubes (all but 16 & 410) would look better without the straight muzzle end to accomodate the tubes, but every maker's doubles with removable chokes exhibits that same appearance trait. Unless you can afford several doubles in various chokes to serve all your possible shooting needs, removable chokes do offer the most flexibility.

The Huglu/CZ's also have a properly scaled action for each gauge, amazing for such a low priced double gun, and is one of the main reasons the different gauge Bobwhites look and fell so great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 28ga ringneck, only a single trigger, but i use it for quail behind dogs, so it works. I have had zero problems, and its easy to carry and shoots where it points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.