September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ithaca1, azgreg, j7l2, steve f, SKB), 376 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,924
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some men wear kilt because they have good looking legs. Some because they want to honor their families. Some wear kilts because they want others to think that they are Scottish. My family roots goes back to Scotland and is easily traced and confirmed, but death will take me before I wear a kilt. I do not have the legs for one and nothing looks worse than a fat, middle age man in a kilt. That is my two cents worth on the subject.

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
When I hear a windbag like this Maloney dishonoring same, I take offense.

Tut tut, more name-calling, LD? You dishonor yourself, then.

I have said nothing to dishonor the kilt - only spoke the truth about who wears it in the Highlands today. If that truth offends, so be it; for all your family history, I probably know more about Highland ways than you do. The whole kilt/clan/tartan fetish is greatly exaggerated by the Scottish diaspora, like the romantic rubbish about Bonnie Prince Charlie - something, perhaps, to lend color to otherwise ordinary lives. Even the lowliest office clerk can pretend to be a lord as he struts about in his store-bought kilt with his sgian dubh and claymore (all quite possibly made in China).

Last edited by jack maloney; 06/16/08 09:04 PM.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's all affectation after the sea change, jm, as it should be. Amnesia is not a bad thing when it scars over the wounds of oppression and starvation.

jack

Lest we forget, jack, lest we forget... Most of these clan-proud hyphenated Scots ignore the black history of the Clearances, when their ancestors were turfed out by their be-tartaned chieftains and kilted lairdies.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only thing I object to is a man who walks in a kilt. If you ain't marching, dogtrotting, leaping from rock to rock or all-out running, I don't think you have proper respect for the Scots genius.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clearances, enclosure--how would we remember when we've already forgotten Charlie Keating?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Junior won at Michigan Sunday, bout time.......

If you want a real laugh, check out this site for a House of Commons debate on out-sourcing the traditional kilt for the British Army's proud Highland regiments: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2006-03-27c.526.4

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wear vintage shooting attire when I go to vintage shooting events. Yet, I have no interest in emulating any "layer of culture." If I were to go to a Cowboy Action shoot, I'd wear their costume. But that would not mean I was emulating their layer of culture, only that I recognize a costume part for what it is. I see a lot of non-vintage attire shooting at the VC and have yet to hear the first complaint about it. I have seen a few costumes for which bib overhauls would have been an upgrade --- and no one complaining about them.

Note that the "commoners" of all combatant nations followed their own twits into that great meatgrinder. Europeans were rich enough to hold that sort of a war and bored/overpopulated enough (and that includes the commoners, too) to participate. Like a flood, once started, there is no way to stop it - it simply has to run its course.

So, JM, what about Cowboy Action shooters and their costumes.

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
So, JM, what about Cowboy Action shooters and their costumes.

Aw shucks, R-man, pr'tend cowboys are jes' pr'tend reg'lar folks...tho' I 'spect they ain't much admired by our Native American friends. Heck, I used ter dress up in cowboy duds myself, but I guv it up in 5th grade 'cuz chaps 'n spurs don't work so good with base-running.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.