Previous poster's have covered most of my thoughts as well. But I will say that at one time...I thought I had to have them all. In my late 20's early 30's, I had accumulated over 200 guns (hodge podge sort of collection) everything from unique rimfires with 100 round clips to 10gauge slug guns (yes I still own one of those)to military guns to etc. etc. etc..

Then I bought my first double barrel (11 years ago) and I finally realized where my heart was leading me. Slowly over the past decade I have traded out of the hodge podge collection and aquired 40+ doubles. Each one means something to me (unlike the guns I used to own). None of them are true investment grade guns. But most American guns are represented -ie. 1Parker, 2Fox, 2Remington, 1LC, 1Lefever, several Pre-war Stevens, etc.

The buying bug is essentially the same. The latest aquisition leaves you all warm and fuzzy - BUT only for a short period of time and then the hunt is on for the next treasure. I try to pass the appreciation of fine craftsmanship and quality of fine double guns to my kids. If they decide to sell them all and shoot the latest semi-auto, then so be it.

For now, Doubles seem to be better than money in the bank!