September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (jlb, bushveld, azgreg, craigd, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,061
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
....Why not just be happy they are shooting?

It is so simple. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by SKB
Always best to set a good example Craig, although I have a feeling that your agenda and mine for those impressionable minds might not be the same. Unlike you, how they might vote is not something that I feel that I need to influence. Let them decide the issues themselves and focus on the guns, gun safety and fun would be my approach. I'll leave the politics to you culture warriors, I have other interests.

I agree Steve. There are many who know what is right for others, and are only concerned with themselves.

Quick question, you are mentoring, and the curiosity based conversation keeps turning to black guns, even though you supply classics, antiques and ammo. How do you teach these children that they are wrong?

By the way, it is none of my business about how others choose to vote. Unless, they decide to share it, and I make the decision to comment about hypocrisies as I see them. Have you noticed, closet culture warriors always seem to jump at the chance to defend the cultural warriors of their choosing?

I love the gotcha games Craig. I have an answer for you. Those seeking guidance on black guns can look elsewhere, I am purposely and blissfully ignorant on the subject. Not that I don't want to help, I'm just not able to wink. I did just pick up a stunning collection of Best guns to broker, on those I am happy to mentor and heck those kids are welcome to bring a Savage 311 or a Remington 870 along and I am delighted to advise. Same goes for the local kid heading off to the Marines, happy to work on his Turkish semi-auto for him, but to be honest, only because he is a kid. I really don't do repair outside of the scope of restoration any longer.

I certainly did notice the rise in culture warriors on the board over the years....kind of hard to miss to be honest.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by SKB
Always best to set a good example Craig, although I have a feeling that your agenda and mine for those impressionable minds might not be the same. Unlike you, how they might vote is not something that I feel that I need to influence. Let them decide the issues themselves and focus on the guns, gun safety and fun would be my approach. I'll leave the politics to you culture warriors, I have other interests.

I agree Steve. There are many who know what is right for others, and are only concerned with themselves.

Quick question, you are mentoring, and the curiosity based conversation keeps turning to black guns, even though you supply classics, antiques and ammo. How do you teach these children that they are wrong?

By the way, it is none of my business about how others choose to vote. Unless, they decide to share it, and I make the decision to comment about hypocrisies as I see them. Have you noticed, closet culture warriors always seem to jump at the chance to defend the cultural warriors of their choosing?

You sure do jump around a lot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never was in the Boy Scouts or the Cub Scouts. But we always spent a week or two every summer at the nearby YMCA summer camp. I always had such a great time. That is where I shot my first gun-they had several of the Remington black and chrome nylon .22s that everyone got to shoot. That is one of the things I remember most. I ended up buying one about 20 years ago- new, and I still have it. And I still shoot it every once in a while. Great memories!!

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/12/24 02:37 PM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I enjoyed scouting, as did my brothers. We were in a great troop with terrific adult leaders.

My son’s troop was not as camping and field oriented as mine was, but still all good.

I never saw negative stuff from adult leaders that may have happened in other troops, anymore than I saw anything but good from the numerous priests and nuns at my parish schools growing up.

I only have good memories of scouting and catholic schools, both help make me successful.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
2 members like this: Jimmy W, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
....I only have good memories of scouting and catholic schools, both help make me successful.

Exactly the same for me oc. Our son had his spare time tied up with other things, but I don't know if we would have encouraged it. The scout's values were changing, and not for the better.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I spent a week at summer camp this month helping run the rifle range. Lots of Scouts had never held a gun before. All but one ended up qualifying. 3 shots in a quarter 5 times and 5 shots in a quarter 5 times. Open sights. Also worked a little on the shotgun range. First week in Aug I’m leading our troop on a shooting outing. Mainly shotguns. I enjoy teaching young people to safely shoot.

6 members like this: Karl Graebner, BrentD, Prof, craigd, Stanton Hillis, Jusanothajoe, PhysDoc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Edm1
I spent a week at summer camp this month helping run the rifle range. Lots of Scouts had never held a gun before. All but one ended up qualifying. 3 shots in a quarter 5 times and 5 shots in a quarter 5 times. Open sights. Also worked a little on the shotgun range. First week in Aug I’m leading our troop on a shooting outing. Mainly shotguns. I enjoy teaching young people to safely shoot.

Good going!

Do Scouts still shoot the open sights at a range of 50 ft.? We actually didn't shoot notch and post open sights, but aperture sights. The front sight was probably open, but the rear was a "peep".

I'd give a purty if I had some of my old paper targets I shot as a boy at Scout camp.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Yes, you must use open sights. The camp I was at used Ruger bolt actions with aperture front and rear. I used Winchester 67s with open sights when I was a scout in the 80s. Yes still same distance.

Last edited by Edm1; 07/24/24 08:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I competed with roundball muzzleloaders from '84 to about 2003 the NMLRA called "notch and post" sights "open sights" (presumably because the rear notch sight is open at the top and there is no hood over the front sight) and aperture sights were not included in that classification. There is a definite advantage with aperture sights over notch and post, and usually one could not compete against the other. Both aperture, and notch and post, fell under the category "iron sights". I understand what you mean however, no problem.

There were two brands of target .22s we had at the range at camp. One was a Mossberg and I cannot remember what the other was. I fell in love with competitive shooting there.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.