Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: RST ed good 04/23/24 01:39 PM
yeah!
9 509 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 01:37 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Like my local fireman said, "So many variables." And it says, right in Marc Ret's third post that ammunition is safe, "if it IS NOT IN THE CHAMBER OF A FIREARM. 🙄
15 446 Read More
Re: Blued? HistoricBore 04/23/24 01:34 PM
Bluing?
I would call that 'patina', the signs of a useful life in the field, many exceptional adventures. Leave it as it is.

You should see the barrels of my 1946 Webley 600 boxlock ...

HB
8 293 Read More
Re: Powder price guess Der Ami 04/23/24 01:28 PM
I always say, "If you wait until you need something to buy it, you pay too much".
Mike
7 222 Read More
Re: Blued? Der Ami 04/23/24 01:15 PM
I agree with canvasback about the Cerakote. The blemishes remind me of a blue job carried out in winter(poor) light. The barrels can be de-greased with acetone after disassembly and the barrels re-blued without re-polishing. A couple passes of slow rust bluing, carefully done in good light should do the job, without a lot of time or expense. Polishing is what takes the most time and where the most likelihood of damage lies.
Mike
8 293 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand ellenbr 04/23/24 01:12 PM
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

If I read the number correctly, the tubeset weighed 1410 grammes on the final pass.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
9 168 Read More
Re: Blued? canvasback 04/23/24 12:43 PM
Cerakote? Really? And you are asking about originality issues?

Go ahead and blue them. Not particularly a collectible and if it’s a shooter, at some point proper maintenance trumps cult of originality.

Edit to add: I don't in any way mean to slag the gun. Sounds like a really nice one. But that isn't the issue.
8 293 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 12:43 PM
I just called my fire department and asked about ammunition going off in a fire. He said there are many variables about staying in a house that has ammunition going off. But one thing he did say was that a bullet going off in a fire "COULD DEFINITELY PENETRATE THEIR CLOTHING. 1000%". Unquote. Nuff said. Have a nice day.
15 446 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun Daryl Hallquist 04/23/24 12:26 PM
Does this match AaronN's post #645945 ? Gun by Hedeline.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

519 296,826 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand Vol423 04/23/24 12:12 PM
Barrels are 28,5". Toplever opens to the right. The stock is cast on and length of pull is 13.75". That's short for me but the bead is perfectly visible with no rib showing. I'll need to pattern it to see what adjustments if any, are needed. Weight is 6 lb 6 oz.
9 168 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! Nitrah 04/23/24 11:58 AM
This isn't a SxS event but Back Forty puts on a bunny shoot this weekend and next. To say they are Not your typical rabbit targets is an understatement. The clays themselves might be rabbit clays but they are thrown, rolled dropped in all manner of ways. I normally hate rabbit targets but I went last year and had a blast. He usually draws over 300 shooters over the course of the 2 weekends. It cost $55 and includes lunch.
15 280 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! DoubleTake 04/23/24 11:55 AM
Woods and Meadow Side by Side Classic
June 27-29, 2024
EVENT DETAILS
The main event is Friday and Saturday and must be shot with a side by side. It includes an 80-target Sporting Clays, 80-target Upland Double Flush, 30-target 5-Stand, and a 30-target Pigeon Ring. Main event is squadded and is limited to 150 people! Lewis class will be available.
Open shooting on Thursday includes a 14-station sporting clays course, a practice 5-stand, and the All Bore course. Any type of gun can be used on Thursday, except if shooting the All Bore course for score.
An additional side event will be available Friday and Saturday, as well as the All Bore course.
Onsite dry camping is available. No reservations are needed. Please look to our website for other lodging options in the area.
The clays course is just over a mile. If you are interested in renting a golf cart, please indicate so on your registration form. Otherwise, you are more than welcome to bring your own golf cart, ATV, or UTV.
Vendors are welcome. We will provide tables in our enclosed shop. If you need a separate tent, please let us know ahead of time.
Hamburgers and brats will be available for purchase during lunch time on Friday and Saturday. Saturday night we will bring in a local food truck that serves brisket and pulled pork. Payment for Saturday dinner should be sent in with your registration.
Visit our website for more information: woodsandmeadow.com
If you have any questions, please call the clubhouse at 608-378-4223 or email: woodsandmeadowclays@gmail.com

Woods and Meadow
N4335 Potter Rd.
Warrens, WI 54666
PRICING
Events
Price
Thursday

Sporting Clays (uses counter system)

Per Target
$0.40
100 Targets
approx. $40
Practice 5-Stand (25 targets)
$10
All Bore (30 targets)
$15
Maker's Challenge??
$15

Friday & Saturday

Main Event (220 targets)
$250
All Bore (30 targets)
$15
Maker's Challenge??
$15
Make-a-Break (24 targets)
$10

Main Event Lewis
$10
Saturday Dinner
$15
15 280 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! DoubleTake 04/23/24 11:48 AM
15 280 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Hammergun
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I would still be afraid of being around ammo in a house fire. If you were a fireman, you would wonder if there was any black powder inside. I believe the primers can still come out of the bullets. I threw some blank .22 shells from a blank pistol in a trash fire years ago. One of them exploded and came out of the fire and hit me in my shoulder and cut me. It was strong enough to put out my eye. I understand primers do the same thing. All kinds of weird things happen in a fire. And if you know someone has ammo, you can figure there are loaded guns, too.

The firefighting gear provides plenty of protection. There are many ways to get killed fighting a fire and ammo cooking off is way down on the list.

I realize that. I was a firefighter. And guns, ammunition, powder, and it's changing composition during a fire, etc. is still something to be aware of. And like you said, black powder is another story. Watch the different videos on youtube. If it's safe in a fire, why do the people run and hide when they throw it in a fire? The one video shows that bullets will penitrate a block of gel sitting next to the fire. It's down on the list of danger, but like you said, it is still on the list. You don't know what is in people's houses now days. Did you ever walk into a building and find a case of unstable dynamite? I did. And if firefighters are in a house and they hear explosions going off, I can't blame them for wanting to leave the house and hitting it with water from the outside. But, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your opinion.
15 446 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Stanton Hillis 04/23/24 10:55 AM
Where there is ammo there may also be a loaded firearm. A friend of mine, a deputy sheriff, was once called to a residence address where an outbuilding was ablaze in the backyard. It had been used by the resident and friends as a place to play cards. Since it was burning so fiercely, and was away from other buildings sufficiently, the fire department, with the owner's permission, had decided to just contain the location and let it burn out. Everyone was standing off at a distance when they heard a Pop!, and my friend was struck in the upper abdomen. An ambulance was called when they realized he had been shot. The surgeon told him afterwards that everyone is born with two major blood vessels alongside each other, the vena cava and the aortic artery. At the location of the bullet wound the two are all but touching. Surgeon then said that when my friend developed in his mother's womb his were separated by a small distance ........ just enough for a bullet to pass between them and not hit either one. He is alive today because of that anomaly in his physical development.

A loaded pistol was found to have been inside the outbuilding when the fire consumed it, and a round cooked off hitting Jay in the abdomen, some distance away.
15 446 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? damascus 04/23/24 10:32 AM
This is what a young man did with a tree Burr in the 1920s. My late Farther in Law was given a burr though at the time he was given it the wood was already half a centaury old and as hard as bell Brass so much to hard to work with normal carpentry tools. His Farther owned a Agricultural Engineering factory and using a band saw usually used for cutting metal he cut the Burr into a couple of planks and bolted together this stool. He was nor sure if the Burr is Walnut or Elm, My wife lived with it all the time she was growing up and has a love hate relationship with it because it is so heavy for such a small piece of furniture that if you walk into it it takes no prisoners but does leave you with bruised shins. So if not a gun stock there are a lot of other avenues to explore.

10 324 Read More
Blued? HMAK 04/23/24 10:13 AM
Looking for advice and council on my recently acquired 1959 Union Armera M205E (Grulla) 12 gauge,
the 1st picture kind of shows that the barrels are almost same color as the receiver,
2nd pic shows what appears to me a "re blue" drip,
3rd shows a darkened spot, another drip,
4th & 5th pic show muzzle ends - the dark spots on pic 4 are NOT pits,
picture 6 shows a 2" bare spot, it's not a scratch.
I have had the gun looked at by a long-time gunsmith, his comments are: "the barrels inside are pristine, the thickness is in the high 30's, gun is made when they knew how to make guns, fabulous condition, mechanically very clean I just oiled the parts, pins fire almost dead center, I'd shot this all day long"
Ok, gun is in great shape, but I was thinking about have the barrels reblued, more of a cosmetic issue. Should I get them reblued? Possibly getting it Cerakote?

I understand the value of originality but if the barrels have already been reblued in the past then originality already eliminated. do you think the barrels were reblued?
This gun is a keeper for me, so I don't care about resale, it will be my kid's problem. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

M205E
Drip mark?
Another drip?
Barrel ends
Bare streak
8 293 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? AGS 04/23/24 09:57 AM
I once bought a dried highly figured guitar tone wood set that resembled this. I have a controlled environment storage area for wood but within two weeks the wood had developed so many cracks it was useless. Even relocating wood like this can cause problems.

It could be made into something nice. Live edge furniture is insanely popular right now. I made a dining room table and a bar top with wood like this three years ago. Fill the cracks with black epoxy, level and sand then apply pour on table top epoxy. It looks incredible. The only touchy part is degassing the finish at the proper time using a quickly moving propane torch. Not hard but not forgiving.
10 324 Read More
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.