Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: RST KY Jon 04/24/24 01:48 AM
I just saw a listing for .410 AAHS Winchester empty hulls selling for $350.00/500 on GunBroker. That works out to $17.50/25 for empty hulls. I can buy loaded shells for less and then shoot them myself. Plus $19.50 shipping. Some of the current prices are insane.
9 506 Read More
Re: Improve Beretta Xtra Wood Finish Jimmy W 04/24/24 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Sun Dog
Yeah. Amazing what those old Remington Nylon 66 rifles sell for now.
I saw one Saturday morning with a scope for $500.00. It was pretty rough. I have one in like new condition- black with chrome. I've had it since they came out.
8 332 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? Ted Schefelbein 04/24/24 01:35 AM
Hinge pin free:

Best,
Ted
9 433 Read More
Re: Update Jimmy W 04/23/24 09:19 PM
And has anyone heard anything about 67 Galaxie. I guess he got flooded out the same time you had your storm, George.
3 235 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand 12boreman 04/23/24 08:23 PM
Nice! Its very difficult to find anything with the cheek piece on the right hand side for a left handed shooter.
9 167 Read More
Re: Blued? graybeardtmm3 04/23/24 06:18 PM
for me, it's a matter of "honest wear"....late last year i sold a gibbs underlever hammer 12ga (1879-80 likely) that had been rebarreled with fluid barrels under the 1925-54 proving rules (evidently by the gibbs shop). at some later point, it had been completely "restored", and had been honed (7 thou on the left, and 12 thou on right). it had not been reproved, so my assumption was it had been reworked stateside....the work was professional caliber, the price was fair - i had bought it early last year. shot it a few times with 5500psi reloads...and would characterize the gun as "eye-candy".

i enjoyed having the gun, but had a chance to sell for a couple hundred more than i had paid....and did so without hesitation - the gun simply was not honest enough to capture my long term affection. i appreciate the concept of "sympathic restoration", and am somewhat affronted by the overboard approach of making an old gun look "new".

i have, and have had, a few extremely high condition guns - most of which i am/was loath to carry afield. i would rather have a fine gun that can be used without the attendant nagging fear of a scrape or blemish being added. at the price-point that i live with, i want to consider my guns as finely crafted tools...not as artifacts.

as stated above...knock yer lights out - and enjoy your gun...

best regards,

tom
8 293 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Under 3 Flags - Steyr 6.5x53R Parabola 04/23/24 06:17 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Buckstix’s recent post about a Sauer 8x57 taken into military service 1914/5 reminded me of this old veteran taken into service on the other side of the conflict at the same time.

It started life as a Model 1892 Steyr Mannlicher Romanian service rifle.

At some point prior to 1914 Daniel Fraser converted it to a stalking rife. He used the original military stock cut down to half length, added a longitudinal foresight dovetail for a caterpillar sporting foresight, a 3 leaf (all folding to clear the view for the Lyman cocking piece peep sight) express sight and cut a transverse dovetail for the Lyman sight at the back of the cocking piece.

The bolt handle, originally straight is curved down.

He marked the barrel “Shot and Regulated by” with his address and stamped a D. Fraser cartouche on the right side of the butt.

Then (note the British Government crossed flags Proof or Acceptance mark stamped partly over the NITRO PROOF mark on the barrel) it was taken into British military service.

A number of Mannlicher rifles in this calibre have been observed with these marks.

The late Tony Edwards, author of 4 volumes on British substitute standard Great War small arms, was unable to find any documentation on their purchases or deployment.

Theories include sniper use, sniper training or Royal Navy use to sink mines by trawler crews.
0 53 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game buckstix 04/23/24 05:36 PM
Well,

I found another ring assembly on eBay and bought it. This had a wider ring, and it was lower by 0.025" and it worked just fine to level the scope. I didn't adjust windage on this target because the group was so nice. I adjusted the scope to the left to center the group before putting away the rifle. I fired a total of 15 shots and recoil was very comfortable and could have shot more but ran out of time.

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]
5 517 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: L.C. Smith Grade 3E English stock NEAT!! Marks_21 04/23/24 04:53 PM
Barrels original.
Stock properly serial number stamped under the tang.
I don't have dimensions on hand.

2 119 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 ChiefC 04/23/24 04:15 PM
Drew, David, All,

This is an awesome site thank you all for your contributions in narrowing down my assumptions in new LC Smith (both correct and incorrect ones :-)

Drew, my apologies I misread the LC.org writeup on the No.0 by missing the period " Twist Steel barrels were available when it was first offered, but they were changed to Damascus Steel in 1899. Starting in 1907, new London Steel barrels were an option." As mentioned before I was aware of the history letter, but figured it was a bridge Id cross if the shotgun warranted it.

David, wow, the information you mentioned is really helpful "They made 216 No. 0" with 26" barrels in 1901 and 1 with 24" barrels.". I can definitely exclude the 24" barrel and if it is a 26" then it helps the cause. A run of only 216 No.0's is small, wonder if it boosts its collectability.

This is quickly changing my view on purchasing the History letter, let me mull it over a bit and if I do purchase Ill share for visibility.

Thanks again everyone,
R,
ChiefC
17 730 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Parker DH english stock. Chad Linder 04/23/24 04:15 PM
Mark, I'm interested in this gun
1 97 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? BrentD, Prof 04/23/24 03:43 PM
I love the stool. No chance I would even consider changing it into a gunstock. Leave it just like it is.
10 320 Read More
Re: Powder price guess BrentD, Prof 04/23/24 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by dogon
Slightly off topic but related. You think common reloading powders are expensive, take a look at Blackhorn 209 muzzleloading powder. This stuff has a going rate of $80 to $100 for 8oz's. Even at these prices for a half pound, it's impossible to find & usually sells out as fast as someone gets it in stock.

Why not just real black? Although expensive at ~$34/lb, it is not that bad, and itis the real thing.
7 222 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! ClapperZapper 04/23/24 02:59 PM
Just my opinion.
Based on 35 years of SxS shoot attendance.
Every shoot but a couple that cost a shooter more than $100.00 (including shells) will struggle.

In the LP of MI we have many, mostly well attended, that acknowledge the reality that these customers are cost sensitive.
Fuel, cartridges, targets, and then rooms and meals, push the most ambitious shots away from attending.

The TofT shoot (great venue and people) was a perfect example of reaching too far.

I enjoyed shooting there, but I have good ears, and heard avg SxS shooters discussing it (+ and -)for many years after.
15 280 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 01:37 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Like my local fireman said, "So many variables." And it says, right in Marc Ret's third post that ammunition is safe, "if it IS NOT IN THE CHAMBER OF A FIREARM. 🙄
15 444 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun Daryl Hallquist 04/23/24 12:26 PM
Does this match AaronN's post #645945 ? Gun by Hedeline.

519 296,811 Read More

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.