Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Gauges and payloads Ken Nelson 03/27/24 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
That's why I use the same :load every time I shoot. I don't jump around using 7/8- then 3/4 then 1 oz. just to save money on shot. I use 1 1/8 oz. of shot in every 12 gauge I shoot and I have been using the same formula for 25 years. If I had one that didn't shoot where I looked I would know right off. I have only had one gun that didn't shoot where I looked. I could tell after a couple of boxes. THAT is the one I patterned, actually. I got rid of it. If I shoot my 20 gauge, I know where it shoots and I use the same reloading formula for that gun. If I can't run 25 straight at trap or skeet, then I know it's me. Not the gun. Sporting clays? A different animal. The guns I hunt with? They shoot where I look and I use the same formula when I hunt that I do when I shoot clay targets. I guess I have always been able to do that. Works for me.

OK Jimmy, I’m confused…you said you’ve always been able to adapt to a way a gun shoots. But you sold a gun that didn’t shoot where you looked. So you couldn’t adapt to that gun?? grin
62 2,282 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt BrentD, Prof 03/27/24 10:54 PM
Ouch!

I certainly don't think Merkels or Greeners with three locking mechanisms are over built.
23 562 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt Drew Hause 03/27/24 10:30 PM
David Trevallion sent me that, and this, pic long ago

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

A 2 3/4" chamber HE was used extensively with 3" 1 3/8 oz. at 1295 fps Super-X 'Record' shells.
23 562 Read More
Re: Holts March 2024 eightbore 03/27/24 10:08 PM
Shhh.
15 575 Read More
Re: 8 ga. load using Longshot 1 /18 oz. shot eightbore 03/27/24 10:06 PM
I don't know anything about Longshot, but Unique under 1 1/8 ounces of lead in an eight gauge is way slow. A much faster powder is called for in a load like that.
3 138 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt Ted Schefelbein 03/27/24 10:00 PM
I believe Damascus has a hammer Purdey that he has owned most of his life, that has no extension and but a single locking lug on the barrel.

There does not seem to be an issue with it holding the gun closed. Properly fitted, they all do that, and a rotary bolt was no better and no worse than any other bolt.

Best,
Ted
23 562 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt eightbore 03/27/24 09:59 PM
Drew, please explain the picture of the HE Fox. It appears that the extension rib is broken. Am I mistaken or is that really the case? If so, how did that happen?
23 562 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt ChiefAmungum 03/27/24 09:40 PM
All right, from a mechanical point of view a properly fitted, and I stress properly fitted Brown rotary bolt is attractive. Simply this. It holds the barrels down towards the frame while holding the barrels back against the breach. Self adjusts for wear and is a very simple mechanism. Double underlugs hold the barrels to the frame nicely. The holding to the breach is a function of the fore end I think. A cross bolt would work much the same as the rotary bolt. Needs a lot more fitting than the Brown patent. A double underlug with crossbolt such as a Merkel SXS is just overkill. either method would be more than fine. Lots of low enders work just great with a inclined slot on the barrel extension, lots of them.

In practice all work just fine. Clean the pin, lube the pin, shoot the gun!

Chief
23 562 Read More
Re: On Topic Sporting Art SKB 03/27/24 09:32 PM
Really nice detail on the this PJ Mene bronze, I did not realize when I bought it that it had been cold painted gold in color originally.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Original foundry mark

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
14 1,359 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Satrt of firing pin return springs? Der Ami 03/27/24 08:43 PM
Raimey,
I don't think pinfires have striker springs, the pin in the cartridge is the striker.
Mike
7 395 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Identify German Combination 1880 Der Ami 03/27/24 08:38 PM
Jani,
I learned a long time ago not to say anything is impossible when it comes to German guns.
Mike
7 144 Read More
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 Der Ami 03/27/24 08:27 PM
HalfaDouble,
Check again In the 360-2 1/4 and 9.3/360s group, the s indicates plural meaning all the 9.3s based on the 360 case, including 9.3X72R E, D, and Normalizert, as well as a raft of others. The 9.3X72( S&S) is often confused in writing with the 9.3X 72R Noralizert(standardized), but in use it is sometimes confused with the 9.3x74R. I have one that I bought as a 9.3X74 that as usual for the time was not clearly marked as to the cartridge it used. I had a scope mounted in claw mounts and it was sighted in as 9.3x74R. After killing several Red Deer with it, it blew a primer. I had a gas tight firing pin installed by another German gunsmith and shot more Red Deer with it. After moving back home, I started loading for a 9.3x57 and having some of the 9.3X74R cases I had shot in the Sauer BF, I just checked to see if a 9.3 250 grain bullet would enter the case. I was surprised that it wouldn't enter. After having the scope mounted, I had discovered that it wouldn't group with any bullet longer than the factory round nose jacketed bullet and I wanted to see if the 250 grain spitzer would work. Remembering the 9.3X72R was loaded with a lighter 185 grain bullet, it dawned on me after all those years that the rifle was chambered for the Sauer and Son round. After close examination of the case fired in the rifle, I discovered that where the case-mouth was crimped into the bullet the case diameter was small enough to go past the chamber into the throat. upon firing it wouldn't expand enough, thereby raising the gas pressure enough to blow the primer. Now I just shorten the cases by 2mm and load the 250 grain bullets in my 9.3x74R dies, it works like a charm. I form 6.5x58R S&S from original length 38-55 cases to avoid shortening 9.3X72R that much. A friend gave me some 9.3s already sized and I may break down and try them. The Brits might not have used cordite when the foil cases were used.

CJF
No problem, as you can see from above, we all sometimes write things that are confusing. I still think your Watson is a very nice rifle.
Mike
20 419 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads Jimmy W 03/27/24 07:56 PM
That's why I use the same load every time I shoot. I don't jump around using 7/8- then 3/4 then 1 oz. just to save money on shot. I use 1 1/8 oz. of shot in every 12 gauge I shoot and I have been using the same formula for 25 years. If I had one that didn't shoot where I looked I would know right off. I have only had one gun that didn't shoot where I looked. I could tell after a couple of boxes. THAT is the one I patterned, actually. I got rid of it. If I shoot my 20 gauge, I know where it shoots and I use the same reloading formula for that gun. If I can't run 25 straight at trap or skeet, then I know it's me. Not the gun. Sporting clays? A different animal. The guns I hunt with? They shoot where I look and I use the same formula when I hunt that I do when I shoot clay targets. I guess I have always been able to do that. Works for me.
62 2,282 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission FallCreekFan 03/27/24 07:45 PM
“Push back against the age as hard as it pushes against you.”

Flannery O’Connor
35 769 Read More
8 ga. load using Longshot 1 /18 oz. shot David Williamson 03/27/24 07:35 PM
A friend was asking me if I knew of any 8 ga. loads using Longshot or Unique with 1 1/8 oz. shot. He is new to 8 ga. and shoots most of the other gauges. He has put the word out but many of the loads were using Alliant powder and is not available. Seems Hodgdon powder is more available. Thanks.
3 138 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission Lloyd3 03/27/24 07:29 PM
Yeah, Brent's right here. Older conservative folks just don't want to get involved and then this happens. If you're even remotely comfortable, you usually just don't care and only want to be left alone. I get it.

Slouching towards Gomorra. Bork had it right.
35 769 Read More
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 HalfaDouble 03/27/24 07:22 PM
No, I'm sorry, Chris, for including that without the Nitro in front of it. Here's a bit from the Imperial War Museum that describes some Eley cartridges marked 360 Express that were in coiled brass cases. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30027656 (click the Show More to get the data) I suppose that the 360 2 1/4 BPE was so common that the 2 1/4 was not felt necessary and that no one would have expected Nitro loads in coiled brass cases anyway besides there not being room on the case heads for the 2 1/4. British proof houses were very strict about marking Nitro proofed rifles with "Nitro" and the Cordite load and bullet weight used.
20 419 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads Ithaca5E 03/27/24 07:15 PM
I see two reasons:

One is that a person has a nice gun of whatever gauge that they really want to use, and realizes they don't need the full gauge-correct load. They opt to skimp on recoil and save a bit of money if they reload.

The second is the person who sees it as a challenge to accomplish the most with the least, e.g. using a .410 in the field, 7/8 oz for trap, etc.
62 2,282 Read More
Re: Reilly Side-Lever SxS .410 - 1884 Argo44 03/27/24 07:12 PM
Jon really knows the auction scene so I totally trust his observations. But now I'm curious about the sale and the advertisement. I always thought that if a gun will not pass proof or the barrels are too thin, Holt's would put a disclaimer on the ad saying "stock and action only" - the barrels would be available only if cut. There was no such disclaimer on this gun. Perhaps sealed bid auctions are different or I've misread/misunderstood Holt's policy.

(Had I seen the gun and decided to bid on it, certainly I would have asked for more info from Holts but now am just curious about the process).
8 291 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt John E 03/27/24 07:08 PM
Stevens also used the rotary bolt on their early doubles.
23 562 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: CVA kit from the 70's rocky mtn bill 03/27/24 07:07 PM
At age 15 I read an article in The American Rifleman ( borrowed from a neighbor) about making a muzzle loading pistol much like this one. This was 1955; there were no kits, and so parts were hard to find, especially so in eastern Montana. I bought a piece of black walnut at the local lumberyard. Our town "gunsmith" gave me a piece of octagon barrel from a Winchester 32 Special and a short piece of round steel he said came from a Ford Model T drive shaft. He said the steel was too hard to make a breech plug from, and so I took it to our town blacksmith who annealed it. The smith then turned and threaded a shank and bored and threaded the barrel section to fit. A buddy from school took an interest in my project and came up with a lock pirated from a cheap Belgian shotgun. I had a catalog from Dixie Gun Works (about 20 pages; I still have it.) I ordered the remaining hardware, a bag of 00 buck shot, and a pound of FFF. Several weeks passed as I tried to fit and shape the parts. Finally I got a phone call from the Milwaukee depot. A parcel had arrived from TN. A few days later my pistol was complete. My friend and I shot it some. It went bang and made smoke.. Whether we ever hit anything I can't recall. It was no accomplishment as an artifact, but , looking back, it launched a life-long attempt to make guns that won't end up in the landfill. I still have most of the Italian percussion caps from Dixie, and they still work.
6 156 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission canvasback 03/27/24 06:51 PM
Much as I hate to agree with Brent, he's right.

The "Right" constantly gets outflanked by the "Left" because the Left is filled with activists that work for the long haul. Generational. This DEI stuff, wokeism, whatever you want to call it. the infringement on gun and property rights blah blah blah ad nauseaum, didn't happen overnight. it has been a long time coming.
35 769 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission BrentD, Prof 03/27/24 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by gunny
so what the F#$% can we do about it besides bitchn to the choir. does anyone have a solution?

Good grief, that's simple.

This "board" governs only a puffy, little grant program for mostly children and not the governing board for the Colorado Parks and Wildlife? Maybe you missed that.

Did you, your children, or grandchildren apply for the board? There were only 40 applications.

Now YOU could propose a program for a hunting or shooting activities on Colo public lands that would recruit new hunters and shooters to the outdoors and even receive some of this grant money to do it. You are all about recruiting new young people to the sports, not just providing new things for people already engaged, right?

Or you could, entirely independent of the Colorado Parks and Wildlife, host youth activities to recruit new people to the ranks?

Nah. I didn't think so either. But if you want to get anywhere productive, you have to leave the comfort of "the choir" and start talking to the people that scare you so.

Fire away.
35 769 Read More
Re: Florida SXS Shoot April 7 Jimmy W 03/27/24 06:22 PM
Sounds neat! Wish I could be there. Maybe next year. Thanks for sharing the info!!
1 116 Read More
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 CJF 03/27/24 06:11 PM
Hi Der Ami,

I agree my Watson is not a nitro gun.

I was unclear in what I was trying to say, which was that when HalfaDouble said "Just don't confuse the 360 2 1/4 & 9.3x57R(360) with the 360 Express...", that this was also potentially untrue, as my Watson is marked "360EX" or 360 Express, even though it is by no means a nitro gun.

I agree with your statement about NFB loadings being for black powder guns. I was trying to say so in my last sentence.

Sorry for the confusion.

Chris
20 419 Read More
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.