April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fallschirmjaeger), 213 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Powder price guess KY Jon 04/23/24 01:47 AM
I bought three eight pound containers of PB in the last several years. Enough to last out my low pressure needs. Never paid more than $25.00/lb but that was before last years rapid powder price increases. I wont pay the going rate of nearly $50/lb for 20/28 or other common powders. A $35-40/lb would be my high limit. There are several current production powders which will make decent low pressure loads so look at some of them. Gone are the days when we could just use our one favorite powder and wait for it to come in so we could stock up again.

I have more powder on hand now than I had when I was shooting 25-50,000 shells a year. In fact I have never had such a wide range of powders because I have learned that three or four powders are not enough. If you limit yourself to just a few you will be unable to load and shoot when you run out and they are nowhere to be found at any price. In total different powders I think last count it was 25 plus on hand with quantities from a few pounds for some types to 20 plus for the main dozen of more. I have more powder than my favorite gun store has and a vastly better selection. Buy powder when you find what you need and can pay cash for it. Don't expect it to be there later.

If the election goes against Biden I might be sitting on a bunch of high priced powders but if that bastard gets in again I might able to outlast him and all the anti gun people who will use him to try and seal the decline of the second amendment.
7 222 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 01:36 AM
I would still be afraid of being around ammo in a house fire. If you were a fireman, you would wonder if there was any black powder inside. I believe the primers can still come out of the bullets. I threw some blank .22 shells from a blank pistol in a trash fire years ago. One of them exploded and came out of the fire and hit me in my shoulder and cut me. It was strong enough to put out my eye. I understand primers do the same thing. All kinds of weird things happen in a fire. And if you know someone has ammo, you can figure there are loaded guns, too.
15 446 Read More
Re: Powder price guess Joe Wood 04/23/24 01:36 AM
Asking for a friend who has found some.
7 222 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun Argo44 04/23/24 01:23 AM
You guys are truly amazing and what has been posted here by Stephen and Aaron is a primer in the origin of the break-action/center-break gun.

Having read Stephen's article in Diggory's on-line publication, however, this observer believes he has a point. Beringer like Lefaucheax exhibited at the Crystal Palace fair. No matter what the history was between Lefaucheux and Beringer during the 1840's by 1851 both designs were in production and clearly identifiable. Hodges looks to have used a single bite for his first gun which Lang copied - at least per the gun sketched in 1856, which clearly had a single bite though using a Lefaucheux style under-lever.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It would appear then that though Lefaucheux got the sketches in the press from 1851, it was Beringer who provided the engineering for the orignal UK copies.

That may be the reason that when Blanch sent his employee to Paris to buy a center-break gun to reverse engineer in December 1855, he bought a Beringer not a Lefaucheux.

Just an observation on what seems logical from an 1850's point of view. And I'll add one of the French words for "underlever" is "cle Beringer" (Beringer key)
519 296,827 Read More
Re: Powder price guess BrentD, Prof 04/23/24 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
What’s your guess about the value of 8 lb unopened containers of both 7625 and PB?

Two years ago, I bought an unopened 5# tin of 7625 for about $34/lb. I'd buy it again for that money or maybe a little more. loads for 7625 tend to be heavier than for some other powders, so a pound doesn't stretch as far as with others. Are you selling some or did you trip over some?
7 222 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! Philbert 04/23/24 01:00 AM
The SASSS Facebook site maintains a list of SxS shoots around the country. Great to hear about the huge turnout at the Gentleman's Cup.
15 280 Read More
Re: A Wild and a couple of turkeys. RWG 04/23/24 12:27 AM
Mike:

You have to join your brother on his turkey hunts. Those are two nice birds right there. Nicely done. Russ
3 274 Read More
Re: Powder price guess skeettx 04/23/24 12:22 AM
These wonderful powders are no longer made, so if you want some, now if the time to jump

8 pounds should sell for$400 or more smile

$50.00 a pound is a decent price today

Mike

p.s.

https://www.powdervalley.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/powder/smokeless-powder/

https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/?_bc_fsnf=1&Group=Smokeless+Powder
7 222 Read More
Powder price guess Joe Wood 04/23/24 12:08 AM
What’s your guess about the value of 8 lb unopened containers of both 7625 and PB?
7 222 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca Jimmy W 04/22/24 11:05 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] I had a chance to buy one of these several years ago at the Grand American in Vandalia, Ohio. I believe Jaqua's had it for sale. It was really worn so I chose to pass on it. I was probably more interested in the Model 21s at the time. Gorgeous guns!!
20 778 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca Jimmy W 04/22/24 11:01 PM
20 778 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand ellenbr 04/22/24 11:00 PM
I have seen that infinity (∞) with the ends cut out many times but for now I cannot attribute it to one single mechanic. Maybe on at the Ferlacher Maschinenhaus?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
9 169 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca Jimmy W 04/22/24 11:00 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] A Turnbull Restoration. Sousa Grade Trap Gun.
20 778 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca Jimmy W 04/22/24 10:57 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] A Sousa Grade. At one time, John Philip Sousa was the President of the ATA.
20 778 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand ellenbr 04/22/24 10:54 PM
Can you pleasure us with a tube length?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
9 169 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand ellenbr 04/22/24 10:54 PM
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Pure Ferlacher from 1926 Jani will have to inform us of how many of those Southpaws were rolled out. Krupp steel rolled in Ferlach too. 1st pass in 1925 @ 13.5mm and then final pass in 1926. Dolphin style tall hammer, sideclips; what is not to like. Does the top lever rotate left?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
9 169 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! Karl Graebner 04/22/24 10:48 PM
Greg,
Unfortunately, Paul Harm has decided not to have the usual SxS event at the Lapeer Sportsman Club this year. A real loss for those who enjoyed it.
Karl
15 280 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun Steve Nash 04/22/24 10:37 PM
Thanks, Aaron, that's very useful (and new to me). Time to revise my notes...
519 296,827 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun AaronN 04/22/24 10:23 PM
Additionally, Lefaucheux's 1832 patent has a different action that is much more similar to the Béringer single-bite action that he would patent a couple years later.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
519 296,827 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun AaronN 04/22/24 10:10 PM
I am not sure how I missed this Béringer stuff and your article! (probably the same way you must've missed my Lefaucheux-Béringer article on the topic):

But Lefaucheux was also making "lever-over-guard" designs by at least 1835. I think this was one of the design characteristics he sued Béringer for using a couple years later. Béringer also sued Lefaucheux and in the end they both settled with Lefaucheux licensing some of Béringer's cartridge characteristics.

See section g which translates to: "same key using the trigger guard as a lever."

And a pistol from my collection using the system. Shotguns exist too:

But it is definitely still the typical early double-bite system.
519 296,827 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Hammergun 04/22/24 09:40 PM
Properly trained firefighters are not afraid of ammunition cooking off. As the videos that are linked above show, it's no hazard. Of course black powder is another story but in 41 years of service I never witnessed an incident involving black powder.

I was told about an incident that occurred several months ago where a volunteer fire department in a rural area allowed two houses to burn because of some ammo cooking off. That's unnecessary and a damn shame. Seems an obvious lack of training.

I will tell you that all the spray cans, solvents and cans of gasoline in your garage can make things interesting.
15 446 Read More
Re: Improve Beretta Xtra Wood Finish Sun Dog 04/22/24 09:32 PM
Yeah. Amazing what those old Remington Nylon 66 rifles sell for now.
8 337 Read More
Re: 1914 Lefever DS SxS 16 gauge in great shape ChiefAmungum 04/22/24 09:21 PM
I have to second Daryl and Stanton's comments. Take some good pics, compile a good description and post it here, in the fore sale section! You have a good and possibly willing audience!

Chief
5 265 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires AaronN 04/22/24 09:21 PM
And incase anyone wants to know if these answers are the same for large quantities of black powder cartridges: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/large-quantities-of-black-powder-ammunition-in-fire/28099
15 446 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! ChiefAmungum 04/22/24 09:13 PM
Sad to learn about Erik, remember him from Shooting Sportsman, way back then! Good shooting folks!
Chief
15 280 Read More
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.