April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (FlyChamps, Jimmy W, jake van dyke, ChiefC, 4 invisible), 312 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,011
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: 1914 Lefever DS SxS 16 gauge in great shape Colonial 04/22/24 02:24 PM
Probably not a good idea for this gun, but I have chamber sleeved a 16ga to 20ga, and am happy with the result.
I bought a Elsie 20 at auction that turned out to be 16 and they kept it.
If you cant return it.....
5 248 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Leather pads mark 04/22/24 02:03 PM
Nice
1 100 Read More
Re: 1914 Lefever DS SxS 16 gauge in great shape mark 04/22/24 02:00 PM
Call the auction company. I had this happen twice. Both times the auction companies offered to refund for return or keep the gun at a discount price.

Auctions are usually as is but when an item is inadvertently listed with the wrong gauge they usually step up and make it good.
5 248 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 David Williamson 04/22/24 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by ChiefC
Sorry Eightbore,

Didn't see your input, I am unsure if 26" original or not or if I measured correctly. I simply lowered a measuring tape in the barrels until it bottomed out and I recall a rough measurement of 26". Maybe I'll remeasure, what do you believe they should be?

Oh, I also remember measuring the muzzle bore to confirm the gauge and it was at around 20mm.

Thanks
r,
ChiefC

They made 216 No. 0" with 26" barrels in 1901 and 1 with 24" barrels.
16 638 Read More
Re: A Wild and a couple of turkeys. Jimmy W 04/22/24 01:39 PM
Nice gun, indeed!!
3 255 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 Drew Hause 04/22/24 01:30 PM
A Research Letter would confirm the original specifications, and possibly to where the gun was shipped
https://lcsca.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=43784&module_id=245742

No. 0 was introduced in 1894, initially with Twist but by at least 1898 Good 2 Rod Damascus

1902 Sears catalog

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
16 638 Read More
Re: Beware of dealing with Gary Downey at Osprey Arms eightbore 04/22/24 01:25 PM
Gary Downey was named in this thread. Can we hear the names of others, like "a Pennsylvania dealer" and "a rather notorious dealer"? If the stories are true, we shouldn't hear any replies from these guys disputing the stories.
52 2,947 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 ChiefC 04/22/24 01:18 PM
Sorry Eightbore,

Didn't see your input, I am unsure if 26" original or not or if I measured correctly. I simply lowered a measuring tape in the barrels until it bottomed out and I recall a rough measurement of 26". Maybe I'll remeasure, what do you believe they should be?

Oh, I also remember measuring the muzzle bore to confirm the gauge and it was at around 20mm.

Thanks
r,
ChiefC
16 638 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 ChiefC 04/22/24 01:12 PM
Hello Drew,

Thanks for the additional information albeit in your opinion not good. Cannot return, so I guess this makes it an awesome shooter. Odd though, this gun came from the estate of a prominent shooter who shot competition and knew his trade. And according to LC Smith.org site research a 1901 was not offered with Damascus barrels until 1907.

Like everything else, will await/seek alternate opinions.
Thanks again,
R,
ChiefC
16 638 Read More
Re: 1914 Lefever DS SxS 16 gauge in great shape Stanton Hillis 04/22/24 10:34 AM
Welcome to the forum, Tom. This is a good place to have lots of exposure to the vintage doublegun "community". You should put the advertisement in the Doubleguns For Sale sub-forum here, along with all of the details on the gun that you can garner. The more info you can provide the easier it will be for potential buyers to discern what you have. Chamber length, barrel length, bore diameter, choke constrictions, length of pull, drop at comb and drop at heel, butt treatment, whether fluid or pattern welded barrels, and minimum barrel wall thickness are among the things most knowledgeable potential buyers will want to know. Then, good close up pictures should be posted here. if you need some help with that some of us here will be glad to assist you.

SRH
5 248 Read More
1914 Lefever DS SxS 16 gauge in great shape Tom Tritschler 04/22/24 03:18 AM
I purchased this at auction as it was advertised as a 20 gauge and that's what I'm gravitating to now. Turned out to actually be a 16 gauge and I'm trying to find best way to market it for sale and fair price. Anyone have any recommendations. We're in Middle TN.
5 248 Read More
Improve Beretta Xtra Wood Finish Replacement 04/22/24 03:02 AM
I am going to buy a Beretta A400 Upland 28ga with 3" chamber to use as my duck gun until my shoulder heals from rotator cuff surgery (if it ever gets back to normal). These guns all have the Xtra Wood finish, which is "real" wood, but enhanced with lasers and who knows what else. It looks good, but the finish is matte with very open pores, so I'd like to add something to the wood to make it a little easier to keep clean after days in the blind. Anyone here have experience working with the Xtra Wood? I'd like to rub something on or in without any sanding, because I don't know how deep the factory faux finsih is. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
6 249 Read More
Re: A Wild and a couple of turkeys. R. Glenz 04/22/24 01:31 AM
He did good!
Grass isn't that tall in central MN yet.
3 255 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Leather pads BrentD, Prof 04/22/24 01:27 AM
A new pad for my Kimball/Skimin and Wood. Not too bad for an amateur. At least, I am happy with it. Another 1/2" of length, 1/2" of cast, and 1/8" of drop will probably cost some grouse their lives this year.

The original horn plate and engraved screws are saved and can be put back on anytime. A couple more of these pads and I might actually get half good at it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 100 Read More
A Wild and a couple of turkeys. Mike Harrell 04/22/24 12:14 AM
My brother still lives near where we were born and raised in the midwest. I sold him a nice T. Wild 12 bore 15 years ago and he's still taking game with it. I told him I'm pretty sure he's the only one to ever use it on turkey since I bought it in England and brought it back with me.

3 255 Read More
Re: Robert shotguns Argo44 04/22/24 12:13 AM
Aaron, an absolutely outstanding and fascinating presentation. Thanks. Gene Williams
3 916 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca ChiefAmungum 04/21/24 11:19 PM
Yeah, not a field grade! The nose of the comb looks odd to me. I think that the top strap has too much bend to allow for more modern drops at comb and heel? Nice to get it going again. A neat story! I've shot a few Polywad shells. Worked fine.

Chief
20 740 Read More
Hinge pin arrangement, explain? ChiefAmungum 04/21/24 11:15 PM
A plea to the body:

Explain the possible hinge pin methods in common use for SXS shotguns. Removable, not, etc. I am familiar with tapered, driven out with or with out set screw. Threaded with slotted head. Not so much with covers or caps or irreplaceable like a Scott 700. I read somewhere of the Birmingham method, made in place and I assume not removable or replaceable.

Looking for some insight!

Thanks,

Chief
1 217 Read More
Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? rtw 04/21/24 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Researcher
My 1959 Browning catalog and price list show the solid rib still being offered on standard weight Grade 1 12- and 20-gauges. The next Browning catalog and price list I have is 1966 and no solid ribs.

Does it state anything about solid ribs being available on Lightenings?

According to Ned Schwing's book on "The Browning Superposed", 1996, page 241, the stock dimensions for the 20 ga were changed in 1960 to D@C = 1 1/2", D@H =2 3/8" from D@C=1 5/8", D@H 2 1/2". The LOP stayed the same at 14 1/4". The post 1960 stock dimensions are much more workable for me than the earlier dimensions with more drop.

Ideally, I'd like to find an all original 1960-1965 Grade I vintage RKLT 20ga Lightening with 28" M/F choked barrels and a solid rib. I am not at all sure it was ever available in that specific configuration. It seems like they may have all been made with vent ribs???
7 450 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 Drew Hause 04/21/24 07:08 PM
The gun has been poorly refinished

The 'case colors' on the sideplates and action are from heating the metal with a torch and using cold blue to produce colors

The barrels, triggers and trigger guard have been blued, likely with hot caustic salts meaning the 2 barrels and ribs will, before long, separate.
The barrels are damascus and it is likely they were cut. A gunsmith could measure the length of the choke constriction to confirm, and you might see a gap between the keels and barrels at the muzzle.

We think 'SD&G' is Schoverling, Dales & Gales; a large sporting goods firm in New York City.

If you can return the gun, do it.
16 638 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca KY Jon 04/21/24 05:43 PM
You do know Les passed away?
20 740 Read More
Re: Beware of dealing with Gary Downey at Osprey Arms Jimmy W 04/21/24 05:29 PM
About a year ago, I stopped at a used car dealer's to look at a older Ford Ranger. It was in very good condition. And when the salesman came out to talk to me, I can't believe that he told me the story-- "It was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays." I thought he was kidding, so I asked him to repeat it- and he said the same phrase over again and he was dead serious. I could not believe that somebody would say such a thing when they were trying to sell a used car. 😏 But maybe it was true.🙃
52 2,947 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca ClapperZapper 04/21/24 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by AGS
I am guessing the cocking hook. I have 2 I have been trying to find someone to do for a couple of years. Replacements were once available, but I can't find a source or a used one.
Last I checked, Diamond in NY had some for sale.
They need to be fitted, tested, polished, then hardened. Then repolished.

It becomes a $500.00 job on a $300.00 shotgun that won’t cock right.
20 740 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca KY Jon 04/21/24 04:57 PM
Our best Ithaca gunsmith recently passed away. Shame he was such a good one and a great person to deal with. I have been looking for someone to go over a couple Mag10’s I recently picked up. He was nit only capable of working on them but also had a small stash of parts. I have been stocking up on a few parts but l can’t find 30 years of working on them. Be nice your gunsmith ought to be a national holiday.
20 740 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca AGS 04/21/24 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
I have a 4E Flues 20ga, and I bought it with the intention of using it in the field. It currently has an issue that needs a gunsmith's attention. But once that is taken care of, I fully intend to hunt with it.

I am guessing the cocking hook. I have 2 I have been trying to find someone to do for a couple of years. Replacements were once available, but I can't find a source or a used one.
20 740 Read More
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.