March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (canvasback, CJ Dawe, David Williamson, ChiefAmungum, John E, 1 invisible), 635 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,425
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hortonium CJ Dawe 03/19/24 11:41 AM
In regard to the red hot billets in the factory promo video, my first assumption was it was a billet of some other un kown material just to display the workings of the production facility???.... maybe I didn't watch it long enough but I didn't see any shot or bullet end product
22 473 Read More
Re: Lead ban in Minnesota? Ted Schefelbein 03/19/24 11:37 AM
Only with the idiots.

Best,
Ted
106 3,303 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: For Sale- Remington Big Boys Stanton Hillis 03/19/24 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by AGS
Given that the engraving is actually roughly carved into the stock .........

I'm fairly certain that is not carving, but stamping. When enlarged one can see that the tops of a letter or two aren't impressed as deeply as others, lending credence to the stamping of each letter. It's hard to hold those stamps perfectly for each lick.
10 295 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads Stanton Hillis 03/19/24 11:13 AM
Interesting, Bill. My club has two sporting ranges, the red and the blue courses. The blue is what most accomplished sporting shooters would consider soft. The red is much more challenging, with some long stuff on edge. I enjoy it so much more. Unlike y'all we do keep score, and are trying hard to beat each other. There are three of us that can carry the day, on any particular day, and the competition is tough. We enjoy that, ribbing each other about misses and trying to interrupt the shooter's concentration by joking at critical moments, and planting negative thoughts. There is no way that a 100 straight could be shot on that course with a 3/4 oz. load, IMO. It's doubtful that a 90 could be.

I shoot a 9 lb. Perazzi and want to utilize it to it's fullest potential. For me, that's with 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads at about 1150-1175 fps. No recoil to speak of in that gun. When I shoot my vintage doubles I drop to the lower end of the "chart", per gauge, that I posted in my initial post.

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying hard to understand, it's just way out of my paradigm.
14 202 Read More
Re: Beesley Single Trigger Sandlapper 03/19/24 11:07 AM
I've got a Scott Premier circa 1924 with SST that is a Lard via Westley Richards design. People give the L. C. Smith SST a hard time, but of all the Smiths I've had with one, and a WR droplock heavy 12 I have, they have never failed. WR put them on many of their heavy caliber double rifles, which should be a testament to their reliability. Sandlapper
7 325 Read More
Re: Shotgun shell pressure testing GLS 03/19/24 10:12 AM
As Drew mentioned, live ammo can't be shipped by USPS. I shipped rounds for pressure testing yesterday at UPS. It is a 20 minute drive from home to the UPS Consumer Counter at the UPS warehouse. Be prepared to pay through the nose as an adult signature is required which runs up cost. UPS Stores are franchises that won't ship ammo. There was a counter sign dated Aug 2022 that stated" guns or gun parts can no longer shipped by UPS except by "return service". The clerk said that UPS requires an FFL to ship. She speculated that it would be a matter of time before ammo shipments were prohibited--pure speculation on her part but who here would be surprised? As Brent mentioned in another thread, length of chamber in testing gun is critical in establishing short shell pressures. Boyle's Law regarding gas pressure and volume is at play rendering inaccurate shell pressures for shorter than 3" ammo in a 3" pressure testing gun chamber. For shortshell (2") 12 gauge, Tom Armbrust refers such testing to Bruce Ducksworth, Bruce's Big Bore Ballistics,
130 Ben Anderson St, Mount Vernon, Ga 30445
Email 338lapuaba@gmail.com
912-423-0334
2 131 Read More
Re: Changing load components GLS 03/19/24 09:50 AM
Over at shotgunworld's reloading site for shotshells (https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/the-20-gauge-3-4-oz-thread-of-justice.421067/#replies) there is a sticky regarding the 3/4 oz. 20 ga. load. It's a gathering of info relating to 10 years of threads regarding the load. Gil
7 126 Read More
Re: A short video on barrel sleeving. gunman 03/19/24 09:01 AM
Interesting .Having been heavily involved in sleeving myself its interesting to see other peoples methods .
I see you cut off in front of the bars where others including myself cut off in front of the chamber cones .We didn't see you method of machining the backends and I would have liked to see how or if your way differed from ours , bearing in mind with welded joints the marrying up of faces would not be so critical as with soldered joints .Did surprise me that you bored chokes in the lathe before fitting the tubes though
1 118 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: O/U - Bockbüchsflinte Rifle Caliber Question ellenbr 03/19/24 12:24 AM
I would @ least measure it. Interesting that the bore diameter seems to be missing. Can you make a stab @ the diameter?

Made in Zella - Mehlis by some of the Best in 1918(1913??). Tubes by Syndicat Liégeois.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
1 36 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Podcasts with Gunmakers by Reto Bueler Fudd 03/18/24 11:33 PM
There's a new one up. Ian Sweetman. Most of my shotguns and all of my rifles and pistols are older than he is. Thoughtful bloke.

I love this series.
10 1,513 Read More
Re: Lubing Fiber Wads Rick W 03/18/24 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tamid
How difficult is it to clean your barrels after using Crisco lubed wads?
I cannot tell the difference - I mostly shoot ML and would certainly notice while cleaning.
10 272 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: My .222 Ruger No. 1, John Warren Engraving BrentD, Prof 03/18/24 08:02 PM
That's really nice.
1 53 Read More
225 Winchester Cases and dies Silvers 03/18/24 04:52 PM
For sale - set of brand new Hornady 225 Winchester Full Length loading dies in factory shrink wrapped box along with (40) brand new Quality Cartridge 225 Win cases in (two) factory sealed bags. Shipped to the US for $70.00 by check or Paypal F&F. Send PM to commit and/or to get pics to your email address.
0 30 Read More
Re: Birmingham Gun Makers lagopus 03/18/24 04:49 PM
Parabola, apologies for the oversight; I must get these glasses changed! I have a copy of Douglas Tate's book and can recommend it. Lagopus.....
7 411 Read More
Re: 1000 old UK auction catalogs lagopus 03/18/24 04:46 PM
Tim, I would agree with that. The Royal Armouries have a fine library and I have contributed to it in the past. Better to go for all to be able to use. I would say to anyone wanting assistance from the library there is that they are very, very helpful. Lagopus.....
7 469 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: krieghoff TRUMPF Drilling parts Der Ami 03/18/24 03:08 PM
Terry,
I gave you a suggestion on your other posting above. The locating pin in the insert barrel might be repaired by refining the damaged area, if not, it can be replaced. The firing pin can likely be annealed, straightened, and rehardened. If not the old one can be used as a sample to turn a new one. The top lever springs in German guns are often pretty much standard and springs from other guns are often close enough to be modified to fit. I have a German single shot "tip up" rifle that came to me with one side of the spring broken off. As a "stop gap measure" I "jammed" a broken leaf of another spring from my junk box into the "v" of the broken spring. I haven't had a need to make a correct replacement after 30+ years of use(this depends on where the break is).
Mike
1 55 Read More
Double Rifles, Paradox Guns & Gauge Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: NEW MEMBER WITH KRIEGHOFF Der Ami 03/18/24 02:27 PM
xkkat,
The repairs you need are neither particular to Krieghoff or especially difficult to accomplish. I suggest you turn the drilling over to one of your excellent Australian gunsmiths for repair. I am certain you will be pleased with the results.
Mike
3 121 Read More
Re: your opinions please about this gun John Roberts 03/18/24 02:20 PM
The buttstock is very plain on the public side, off side is gorgeous. I don't like that.
JR
13 498 Read More
Re: Remingtons for Shooting.... AZMike 03/18/24 11:51 AM
Thank you Stan!
Price reduced on either of the Remington 1900's to $750
They are both tight and have beautiful bores, they feel very nice and corner well!
7 583 Read More
Re: pre & post Fulton Smith guns (photo rich) Lloyd3 03/17/24 11:26 PM
My Alma Mater! The campus has clearly expanded a bit (there wasn't anything like that when I was running around down there in the early 1980s). I'm glad to hear that they've preserved all that.
20 653 Read More
Re: Rook Rifle Reloading Tool Argo44 03/17/24 05:44 PM
I believe paradoxically that Berdan primers became predominant in Europe; Boxer primers in America which might explain the Remington Cartridges. Berdan patented his primer in America in March 1866; Boxer in UK 13 October 1866. How this juxtaposition came about, which persists to this day, is history to be explored.
2 151 Read More
Re: I have posted this to warn others about this fraud 1916XE 03/17/24 04:43 PM
There are a few things to learn from this:

1. The good point on red flag-NO RETURN
2. Communicate with your wife
3. If it looks too good to be true...or too $$$.

I no longer buy guns on auctions, but I will contact the seller privately-
especially if he is like Leroy Merz in MN. Or of excellent similar character.

KheSanh-1971
5th Special Forces Group (ABN)
26 1,145 Read More
Re: High Condition 1908 Prussian JP Sauer 16ga. Grade Recoil Rob 03/17/24 03:32 PM
Thank you CJ.
5 755 Read More
Re: Ejector Pin installation- Hal M Hare 03/17/24 02:46 PM
Thanks again for your response.
6 321 Read More

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.