June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Argo44), 286 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,622
Posts547,087
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Remove Breech Plug on W C Scott percussion double Stanton Hillis 06/23/24 01:45 AM
I would submerge the breech end of the barrels in a good penetrant for a month before attempting the breech plug removal, Daryl. For a large volume of penetrant like that ATF and acetone, mixed 50/50 is as good, and as cheap, as it gets.

In addition to the tool you need to remove the plug, you need to consider how you will hold the barrels in a vise to do this. It may require considerable force to break the bond free to start the breach plug unscrewing. It will require a solid, but safe, hold in a vise to make the barrels immovable.
2 90 Read More
Re: Status of RST Shot Shells old colonel 06/23/24 01:44 AM
2 1/2 will do fine. Most anything you can shoot from 2 7/8 can be found in 2 1/2

It is ok to shoot shorter shells in longer chambers
27 6,108 Read More
Re: Status of RST Shot Shells Tripplebeards 06/22/24 11:14 PM
Yeah, they’ve been out of stock for years
27 6,108 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: South Dakota Pheasant Hunting ***2024*** dukxdog 06/22/24 10:55 PM
The time slots I have available which include three meals each day are:

October 28-31 -- spots--$775 per person. *** ONE Spot Left ***

The following dates are LODGING ONLY so you provide your own food:

November 30- December 4 --- 4 spots --- $475 per person

December 5-9 --- 2 spots --- $475 per person

December 10-14 --- 6 spots --- $475 per person
3 667 Read More
Re: Status of RST Shot Shells eightbore 06/22/24 08:12 PM
RST does offer 2 7/8" shells and lead. They are out of stock on both, unfortunately.
27 6,108 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? Jerry G 06/22/24 07:58 PM
I agree with NTaxiarchis that the barrels were reused & stocked later than the dates on them. I have only found dates on G. L. Bailey barrels & no serial numbers. The barrels could have been made by Charles E. Staples in Portland, Maine. The "& Co." refers to a partnership Bailey had in the 1850s.
34 9,231 Read More
Re: Status of RST Shot Shells Tripplebeards 06/22/24 06:30 PM
Old post I know.

I have an email into RST because my barrels are marked 65 but chambers are cut to 2.775” inches from the Barrel face to forcing cones. I’ve shot 2 7/8 inch ammo 2.7” OAL to the folded crimp) through it and it doesn’t pattern worth a darn I would assume that’s because when fired the fold crimps are overlapping the forcing cones. After the poor patterns from the RST ammo I only now reload only for my gun. I’ve cut all those same hulls down below where the fold crimp indentions are and use a 4 pin roll crimper. So my OAL length hulls I reload are 2.7” give or take. Short enough not to overlap my forcing cones. Needless to say, my patterns have gotten a lot better because I’m not using too long of a hull now. I wonder if there’s 2 5/8” hulls “ unfolded” are short enough (2.775” or under) so I use them in my gun? I would assume chambers were cut to the same length as recommended ammo lengths back in the day because they fired all brass hulls and eventually paper roll crimps? Sounds like in 1939 Remington invented the star crimp( fold crimp). I would assume chambers were lengthened to accommodate modern star crimps and 2 7/8” chamber detentions were lengthened a good half inch for the fold crimps when they “ un folded” when firing? Anyways, I have 13 number fives and six number sixes still in the factory boxes that I’ll never use. Guess I can either try and trade them for the shorter versions or some brand new 10 gauge hulls? Be ashamed just to rip them open to use them for halls after I paid way over 30 bucks a box plus shipping back in the day when they were available. I look on there and I see they have 2 5/8 inch light loads and not 2 7/8 inch. They also don’t offer lead anymore for some reason. I’m wondering if they only offer 2 5/8” ammo now because they figured out a few years back what I’ve just figured out.
27 6,108 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? Argo44 06/22/24 05:47 PM
Lang made the first pin-fire breech loader in UK. . .per his pamphlet it was probably in early 1854. So these can't be dates.
34 9,231 Read More
Re: Big stars means two-bars? Lloyd3 06/22/24 05:21 PM
Damascus "pronouns"....now that's funny! Cool stuff Dr. Drew.
9 616 Read More
Re: Remove Breech Plug on W C Scott percussion double Mike Rowe 06/22/24 05:16 PM
The tool you need is called a hut wrench.

I don't know if you can rent one anywhere - most of us have made our own.

A large tap wrench can be modified with new jaws, or one can simply be made out of a steel bar by making a slot and removing extra material to provide any necessary clearance.
2 90 Read More
Remove Breech Plug on W C Scott percussion double Daryl Hallquist 06/22/24 04:10 PM
I have a 16 gauge W C Scott percussion double that has a broken worm stuck in the right breech plug. Can you tell me who might be able to remove the right breech plug for repair ? The right plug is the one that comes off first. Is there a tool available for purchase or rent that could be used at home to perform the task ? Thanks for any suggestions. Daryl

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 90 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? Dave in Maine 06/22/24 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Thank you NTaxiarchis & Argo44,
The 2 gauge has a number of 1859 on the barrel & my 4 gauge has 1850 on the barrel. If these are dates, then they would be very early breechloaders. Any thoughts?
Jerry

Far more likely they're serial numbers.
34 9,231 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? Jerry G 06/22/24 02:57 PM
Thank you NTaxiarchis & Argo44,
The 2 gauge has a number of 1859 on the barrel & my 4 gauge has 1850 on the barrel. If these are dates, then they would be very early breechloaders. Any thoughts?
Jerry
34 9,231 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine Jimmy W 06/22/24 10:58 AM
Trivia: Gerald Ford-- The only person to serve as Vice President AND President and was never elected to either office. smile
51 2,428 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine Jimmy W 06/22/24 10:53 AM
The first Eagle Scout to serve as president was Gerald Ford. He became an Eagle Scout in 1927. He received the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award in 1970. When he died in 2006 his family requested an honor guard of 200 Eagle Scouts.
51 2,428 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine Stanton Hillis 06/22/24 10:04 AM
That's excellent, Tom! So true.
51 2,428 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Mounts for a Zeiss Rail Scope? ohiochuck 06/22/24 03:18 AM
Hi!
I have a Zeiss 2.5-10 X 52 Diavari Z scope with a rail
What mount can be used to mount it on an AR-15 rifle?
Thanks!
Jim
0 53 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? Argo44 06/22/24 02:57 AM
If this will help, here is a line on Reilly 4 bores.
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=633637
34 9,231 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? NTaxiarchis 06/22/24 01:26 AM
Breech loader. Sidelever hammerless as I recall.
34 9,231 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine graybeardtmm3 06/22/24 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Enjoyed the time with my Sons and their comrades. They were done as soon as they had there DL's, as was I.

an old friend, who was an eagle, and has stayed in the game for most of his life....told me that scouts had to make eagle "before the fumes got to them".

perfumes, and gasoline fumes....

best regards,

tom
51 2,428 Read More
Re: Need help with the year & model of my Charles Daly Tripplebeards 06/21/24 10:44 PM
Well, I learned something new the last couple of days with that number 65 stamped on the barrel saying it’s the chamber length! Decades ago I had the chamber measured by a gunsmith in town that told me it was a 2 7/8 inch 10 gauge chamber. A 2 7/8 inch RST shell drops right in the chamber and I’ve shot probably 30 of them without issue. After seeing that number 65 and listening to a YouTuber saying that’s the millimeter measurement in chamber size made me scratch my head because that comes out to 2.559 inches. I measured to the forcing cone today several times and came up with 2.775” on average. Well, I would assume that is with a 2 5/8 inch hole or 2 1/2 inch hole unfolded??? Explains why I never got a good pattern with the three boxes of two and 7/8 inch shells. It taught me how to get into 10 gauge shotgun reloading anyways because I’ve used those holes several times and they’re cut down probably a half inch shorter so they never came close to the forcing cones with my roll crimping. I have basically 2 boxes total of impossible to find 2 7/8” lead #5’s and #6’s. Thirteen 5’s and 6 #6’s. I sure would hate to tear those things down and just to reload them. I’m probably better off selling them out right or horse trading them for ammo I can use.
39 8,466 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine ChiefAmungum 06/21/24 10:28 PM
Alfred E. Neuman, why me worry? Bought the mag regularly. Surely (miss) shaped my brain! Later "The National Lampoon" sealed the deal!
Chief
51 2,428 Read More
Re: Bump Stock Ban.........OT Jimmy W 06/21/24 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by R Reynolds
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by R Reynolds
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I read that Donald Trump tried to get the Supreme Court to ban the bump stock and make it illegal under law. But when he filled out the paperwork, he did not fill it out properly for some reason, and his request was rejected by the Supreme Court because of that reason.

Where is this procedure described in the Constitution?
Doesn't a president have the authority to pass or veto a bill that comes to him? Just asking. 🙂

Sure, the President can outright veto a bill and send it back to Congress. But that is not germane to the discussion at hand.
If you read down toward the bottom it says: "Taking a cue from the NRA, Trump used his executive authority to write a BATF&E regulation banning bump stocks." Unquote. Now what I read was that when Trump first tried that, he screwed up the paperwork and they did not accept his application. Other than that I don't know what you are talking about. But as you remember, Trump told the anti-gun people (the relatives of the victims) he would ban the bump stock. And doing his usual, "Donald Trump talking out both sides of his mouth" he turned around and said he never really wanted the bump stock banned. So, that way he can please the pro gun people and not get into trouble with the NRA. And tell the victim's relatives, "Well, I tried." His first application to do all of this was rejected because of some type of a flaw in his application. That is all I am saying. Have a nice day. smile
45 2,464 Read More
Re: Bump Stock Ban.........OT Jimmy W 06/21/24 05:35 PM
45 2,464 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine Jimmy W 06/21/24 04:37 PM
MAD Magazine!! That's it!! Now I remember!! Thank you!! Boy, was that ever a crazy magazine. I remember that parents thought that magazine would corrupt the minds of American kid's.
51 2,428 Read More
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.