July
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, Ted Schefelbein, irs, 2 invisible), 85 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics37,047
Posts519,642
Members14,183
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Boss & Co. Argo44 07/03/22 04:06 PM
Simon Reinhold is a fine speaker, who discourses with absolute assurance. The video is a good one. However, Simon does say some things occasionally which are questionable. His assertion early in the video that London gunmakers from 1800-1845 relied solely on word-of-mouth and that there was no public advertising at all is demonstrably not true.
8 608 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: New 20 Gauge TriStar Bristol SxS For Sale gold40 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Price reduced to $700.
1 200 Read More
Re: IOWA DOUBLEGUN CLASS KY Jon 07/03/22 01:49 PM
Not to be offensive, but there is a lot of knowledge held by men just as old or older than I am and they are willing to pass some of it on to others for very little money. This is a great idea. Just wish I could go and learn about case relining and case restorations. Do note there is no Spring chicken among these guys, so take what they can teach you, or wish you had later. We have lost too much talent and knowledge about doubles, to be passing up a chance like this lightly.
11 773 Read More
Re: W. Förster - E. Barthelmes Z-M - SB & Co.-Liège ellenbr 07/03/22 12:59 PM
Yesterday was a day that this sporting weapons marks quest pretty much came full circle. The fella that provided me with my 1st German Combo had his son stop the car on the side of the road(where you typically can find me) to chat a moment. He has 89 years and is deaf as a post but had some device, sort of headset that he could hear a bit. I hadn't seen him in say 20+ years and really didn't know if he was still with us. We had made a trade on said Combo as a partial payment for some services I had rendered. He had acquired it from a friend in an Alabama Hunt Club. Turns out it was a donor and the springs were removed for a 16-65 over 8X57R/360 I believe. But this it THE Combo that sparked the flame into researching European Sporting Arms that has brought me this far. I decided last night to pen him a letter of Thanks for the initial contribution and hopefully he can still read as he cannot hear(Heavy Artillery or similar) and will not wear hearing aides.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
7 214 Read More
CENTRAL WI SHOOT mark 07/03/22 12:58 PM
0 28 Read More
Re: Wall thickness measurement Drew Hause 07/03/22 12:13 PM
William back on p. 8
"the wall thickness of my Lefever barrels, and the means I use to evaluate them is 100% irrelevant here." And the request to do so is "silly and unreasonable"

The title of this thread is "Wall thickness measurement" and I and others have provided a substantial collection of numbers to help establish the standards of the makers.
Either you do not have a wall thickness gauge
Or you have numbers, which could benefit the forum members, but which you choose not to share.
118 4,341 Read More
Matched Pair William Moore & Grey Vol423 07/03/22 04:36 AM
Made in 1902, Boxlock Ejectors, 12 ga, 28", 2-1/2", in proof. Single selective triggers. Cased. Gunbroker auction 938500375. $5000
0 74 Read More
Re: Going Home... gil russell 07/03/22 12:09 AM
What a beautiful tribute to a friend. What more could one ask for?
21 1,041 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Accraglass mc 07/03/22 12:01 AM
39 % think Elvis is alive
2 228 Read More
Re: Fabarm Autumn at Medford Remington40x 07/02/22 11:50 PM
Single or double trigger version?
4 300 Read More
Re: 16ga. CSMC RBL, lightly used, cased Grouse Guy 07/02/22 09:24 PM
Back on market (I was away), and reduced again to $3,800.
7 968 Read More
Re: German 16 gauge chamber length? ellenbr 07/02/22 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
If they were made for export to the US, I've also seen them marked 2 3/4 on the extractor face.

This was correct till recently when extractor faces with >>70<< have surfaced. I can post a foto if need be.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
3 232 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Mirror polishing internals damascus 07/02/22 10:32 AM
Mirror polishing of small internal lock parts n days past was a profession and a skill that is hardly done today. The only trade where it is still done regularly is in high quality mechanical watch and clock making. Some of the older products used are still available but at a cost. Abrasive stones are just one of many abrasives though the problem is what type is used for finishing "Water of Ayr" stones are available in many grades for producing a high finish on hardened steels the finest polish is obtained with Dimond dust in olive oil, Jewellers Rouge in
any oil. To bring the metal surface up to a level where you can consider working it to a mirror finish the following items are of a great help "Engineers Emery sticks" of various shapes and abrasive sizes, mechanical buffing wheels using various paste polishes "Tripoli" polishing soap is a good all rounder to get a high polish on softer metals though using polishing wheels does have a tendency yo remove sharp edges killing that sharp overall effect. Dont forget to use finger protection when using mechanical polishers it will be a painful lesson if you dont.
9 502 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: 1903 Takedown Aperture Sight rtenenbown 07/01/22 09:01 PM
Thanks, Gents.
It is a pop up Tang Sight.
I had read somewhere that it was to aid in focusing.
It would be for very deliberate shooting.
I wanted to verify it wasn't my soon to be octogenarian vision.
3 165 Read More
Cogswell & Harrison BLE Jamie243AI 07/01/22 08:22 PM
I am researching a gun for sale. It is a 12b BLE.. On the bottom of the frame, it has two small screws side-by-side. What is the difference in this frame from the others I have seen with a single large screw in the bottom? It dates 1925 from what I can tell.
0 207 Read More
Re: WTB Hawkins small heart rifle pad Classicioi 07/01/22 02:51 PM
Please check your PM's Walt... Thanks
9 491 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: a pretty nice looking greifelt 16 ellenbr 07/01/22 10:55 AM
Yeah, Kerner-Anson platform with sideclips or Purdey Wings along with nice work on the fences. I'd like to see the marks though.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
2 139 Read More
Re: NON_TOXIC Shotshell Reloads Stanton Hillis 07/01/22 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Saskbooknut
I find it hard to believe that the Hot Shot tester priced at $210 , ($195 in quantity) is prohibitively expensive.

I'd agree, but I'm not trying to convince you. I was just reporting what he told me about five years ago. I do know that wardens in GA have a terribly skimpy budget for equipment, and on top of that don't make much of a salary, either. It's pretty much a thankless job. They issued a special edition tag for vehicles three or four years ago that raised some $$$ to help wardens buy needed equipment that the state wouldn't issue them. I bought one for one of my trucks, to help them. Maybe they have the devices now, I dunno.
12 592 Read More
Re: Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers volume 3 canvasback 07/01/22 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
CB, I know these spiked, you might have missed it:

https://www.amazon.com/British-Gunmakers-appendices-additional-Birmingham/dp/1846890667/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2I24MV8W40KTX&keywords=british+gunmakers+volume+3&qid=1656635217&sprefix=british+gunmakers+volume+3%2Caps%2C66&sr=8-1

Thanks for the heads up Dan. That’s crazy! I guess books are things I buy and then don’t follow the market. Unlike guns. Haha.
3 291 Read More
Re: Reloading Component Scam GLS 06/30/22 12:27 PM
There have been accounts of people going to Nigeria to square things with the scammers who ended taking more than just the man's money... Gil
16 789 Read More
Re: Turn-of-the-century shotshell pressures keith 06/30/22 03:01 AM
Preacher, why do you post stuff like this???

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Thin barrels do split

Honed to .739" with resultant wall thickness .018". I do not know the load which caused the split

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

And you also post stuff like this below, concerning your one-and only Damascus barreled OE Grade L.C. Smith 16 gauge gun...

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
"I personally measured the wall thickness of a 1906 L.C. Smith 16g No. 0E with “Good Two Rod” Damascus at .016”, 14” from the breech which [prior to having the wall thickness measured] had survived 250 2 1/2” 7/8 oz. Polywad Spred-R shells, 100 2 1/2” 7/8 oz. at 1145 fps. (about 8000 psi) loads [William Larkin Moore's], and 2 cases (500 shells) of 2 1/2” RST 3/4 oz. at 1100 fps (4,600 psi per RST) without rupture or dimensional changes."

My 3/4 oz handloads are listed in the manual at 5400 psi, a buddy chronographed the load at 1185 fps, and cases of that load have been through the gun.

The end-of-chamber MWT is .114" R (the thin barrel) and .118" L. 9" from breech is .032" R and .044" L.

It is my opinion that barrels that are thin from 12" from the breech to the muzzle (where pressures are much lower) are likely to split; not disintegrate

But the hand guard provides some additional safety.

You can get pissed at me for pointing out the obvious, and I'm sure you will be blinded by personal animus in your response. But it sounds like KYJon feels the essentially same way about guns like your one-and-only Damascus barreled OE Grade L.C. Smith. And he was commenting about barrels that are not only thicker than yours, but also have that .018" to .020" wall thickness a full 6" further from the breech than your gun.

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Thin barrels 20" from the breach do not scare me but anything less than that or closer than that will need careful consideration before I shoot them. Very careful.

It is little wonder that your friend Ed is repeatedly questioning everyone about what barrel wall thicknesses they consider safe, and why they feel that way. Nobody here, who has any good sense whatsoever, would advise someone to buy or shoot a ratty old Damascus L.C. Smith O Grade that has barrels with an .016" wall thickness at 14" from the breech. If you really wish to pass yourself off as a copy-and-paste internet shotgun barrel expert, then you really need to stop posting flawed and conflicting data, and potentially dangerous advise.
22 857 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: 1939 M70 Std. Grade .375H&H Mag 1916XE 06/29/22 11:17 PM
It is nice to see the appreciation of quality firearms here. The reason that the 1886/Model 71 are still popular in Alaska and Canada
is the frequency of bear encounters. That means black, brown Kodiak, and interior or Toklat grizzlies.

One never knows around which corner Mr. Grizzly will show up unexpectedly, and he may have just
been down to the pub and was involved in a fight over a shapely gal. Bear spray sounds nice but a pre-war 450 Alaskan with 400 gr FP bullets sounds better.
And bears can come from the same direction as the wind...

I am looking for a set of 7/8 in rings for a G&H sidemount-have a 2 in set for a trade. Looking for the rings with 2 screws to mount a Lyman or Leupold Alaskan.
38 2,260 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Old German SXS Hammergun spentwings 06/29/22 11:13 PM
After the holiday, I will try to get better shots of the barrels. Also, the gun has a couple of screws that are definitely not stock. Do you know of any sources that might fabricate gun screws?
17 488 Read More
Re: E.Hoerning single shot Der Ami 06/29/22 08:04 PM
journeymen,
Good for you, that is a very good skill to have. Tig is very useful also, but there are a few things that even it can't do. If the pins are tapered, you should be able to tell if the holes are also tapered by trying to put them in from the other side. It is your rifle but if it were mine, I wouldn't replace the pins if they are still useable.
Mike
10 909 Read More
vintage buttplate question PhysDoc 06/29/22 03:31 PM
Ok,this maybe a waste of electrons and time, but I see these plastic buttplates on ebay advertised
as Remington Sharps Creedmore buttplates

plastic buttplate

Then I spotted this steel buttplate that looks identical

steel buttplate

So, I wondered, is this second buttplate some sort of rare original, if so, and you need it go ahead and grab it. I'd just like to know more
about the history of these.
0 100 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2022 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.