June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (KDGJ, Ironman5, bushveld, FlyChamps, Argo44, Ian Forrester), 218 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,622
Posts547,085
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Status of RST Shot Shells Tripplebeards 06/22/24 11:14 PM
Yeah, they’ve been out of stock for years
26 6,085 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: South Dakota Pheasant Hunting ***2024*** dukxdog 06/22/24 10:55 PM
The time slots I have available which include three meals each day are:

October 28-31 -- spots--$775 per person. *** ONE Spot Left ***

The following dates are LODGING ONLY so you provide your own food:

November 30- December 4 --- 4 spots --- $475 per person

December 5-9 --- 2 spots --- $475 per person

December 10-14 --- 6 spots --- $475 per person
3 661 Read More
Re: Who Knows the Standard Bore-Size of a "TWO"Bore?? Jerry G 06/22/24 07:58 PM
I agree with NTaxiarchis that the barrels were reused & stocked later than the dates on them. I have only found dates on G. L. Bailey barrels & no serial numbers. The barrels could have been made by Charles E. Staples in Portland, Maine. The "& Co." refers to a partnership Bailey had in the 1850s.
34 9,228 Read More
Re: Big stars means two-bars? Lloyd3 06/22/24 05:21 PM
Damascus "pronouns"....now that's funny! Cool stuff Dr. Drew.
9 614 Read More
Re: Remove Breech Plug on W C Scott percussion double Mike Rowe 06/22/24 05:16 PM
The tool you need is called a hut wrench.

I don't know if you can rent one anywhere - most of us have made our own.

A large tap wrench can be modified with new jaws, or one can simply be made out of a steel bar by making a slot and removing extra material to provide any necessary clearance.
1 74 Read More
Re: OT Boy's Life Magazine Jimmy W 06/22/24 10:58 AM
Trivia: Gerald Ford-- The only person to serve as Vice President AND President and was never elected to either office. smile
51 2,418 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Mounts for a Zeiss Rail Scope? ohiochuck 06/22/24 03:18 AM
Hi!
I have a Zeiss 2.5-10 X 52 Diavari Z scope with a rail
What mount can be used to mount it on an AR-15 rifle?
Thanks!
Jim
0 50 Read More
Re: Need help with the year & model of my Charles Daly Tripplebeards 06/21/24 10:44 PM
Well, I learned something new the last couple of days with that number 65 stamped on the barrel saying it’s the chamber length! Decades ago I had the chamber measured by a gunsmith in town that told me it was a 2 7/8 inch 10 gauge chamber. A 2 7/8 inch RST shell drops right in the chamber and I’ve shot probably 30 of them without issue. After seeing that number 65 and listening to a YouTuber saying that’s the millimeter measurement in chamber size made me scratch my head because that comes out to 2.559 inches. I measured to the forcing cone today several times and came up with 2.775” on average. Well, I would assume that is with a 2 5/8 inch hole or 2 1/2 inch hole unfolded??? Explains why I never got a good pattern with the three boxes of two and 7/8 inch shells. It taught me how to get into 10 gauge shotgun reloading anyways because I’ve used those holes several times and they’re cut down probably a half inch shorter so they never came close to the forcing cones with my roll crimping. I have basically 2 boxes total of impossible to find 2 7/8” lead #5’s and #6’s. Thirteen 5’s and 6 #6’s. I sure would hate to tear those things down and just to reload them. I’m probably better off selling them out right or horse trading them for ammo I can use.
39 8,461 Read More
Re: Bump Stock Ban.........OT Jimmy W 06/21/24 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by R Reynolds
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by R Reynolds
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I read that Donald Trump tried to get the Supreme Court to ban the bump stock and make it illegal under law. But when he filled out the paperwork, he did not fill it out properly for some reason, and his request was rejected by the Supreme Court because of that reason.

Where is this procedure described in the Constitution?
Doesn't a president have the authority to pass or veto a bill that comes to him? Just asking. 🙂

Sure, the President can outright veto a bill and send it back to Congress. But that is not germane to the discussion at hand.
If you read down toward the bottom it says: "Taking a cue from the NRA, Trump used his executive authority to write a BATF&E regulation banning bump stocks." Unquote. Now what I read was that when Trump first tried that, he screwed up the paperwork and they did not accept his application. Other than that I don't know what you are talking about. But as you remember, Trump told the anti-gun people (the relatives of the victims) he would ban the bump stock. And doing his usual, "Donald Trump talking out both sides of his mouth" he turned around and said he never really wanted the bump stock banned. So, that way he can please the pro gun people and not get into trouble with the NRA. And tell the victim's relatives, "Well, I tried." His first application to do all of this was rejected because of some type of a flaw in his application. That is all I am saying. Have a nice day. smile
45 2,459 Read More
MEC can crimp for 10 gauge. Ted Schefelbein 06/20/24 09:02 PM
Part number 721-10, pre 1982 all metal construction. New, never used. $30 gets it shipped to you in a bubble envelope.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted
0 156 Read More
Re: Field Ethos Mag canvasback 06/20/24 08:31 PM
Trump Jr and Hemingway's grandson.
2 267 Read More
Re: Reloads for Winchester Low Recoil Low Noise Shells keith 06/19/24 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
Hodgdon will only be a monopoly because Alliant had just about stopped selling any powder, at any price. Without Hodgdon I doubt anybody would reload anything. And their prices still lag behind Alliant by about ten bucks a pound.

I tend to agree with this. Hodgdon was pretty reasonably priced powder for many decades. They got their start when Bruce Hodgdon became an entrepreneur before I was born, and bought up train-car loads of WWII surplus military powder, and sold it at a very cheap price to reloaders.

I read varying accounts of why powder, primers, and other components have gotten so expensive. Supposedly nitrocellulose and other chemicals are in short supply, but the chemicals used to make nitrocellulose have always been pretty cheap and readily available. Some industry insiders say that stringent EPA regulations have caused manufacturers to either close plants, or charge a lot more, so electing a pro-gun President who is also against excess government regulations helped matters prior to 2020, and if Trump is re-elected, it could help us again.

Then there is the increased cost of brass, bullet metal, primers, and powder due to wars, conflicts, and foreign policy disasters of the past 3 1/2 years with Biden and company. Supplying Ukraine for all that time, along with stockpiling for a conflict with China due to poor Democrat leadership isn't helping. Trump quickly stomped ISIS into submission, was intelligently winding down our presence in Afghanistan, and kept Russia, China, North Korea, and Iran from starting any new conflicts. It only took Biden a couple months to screw all that up, even worse than it had been under Obama. And of course, there is still a lot of hoarding by shooters who understand that the Democrats are always doing all they can to restrict supply and increase the costs of shooting through legislation and threat of lawsuits.

Another big factor is the general inflation rate since Biden took office. Because of Bidenomics, every dollar you had saved in 2020 has now lost about 20% of its' value. The dollars you earn now purchase less overall. This affects manufacturers too, so when they pay more for raw materials, fuel, energy, transportation, loan interest, regulations, taxes, and wages... then naturally those costs will be passed onto us. Older shooters on fixed incomes will be impacted even more than younger shooters who may still see at least some wage increases over time. That's why Ronald Reagan famously said, "Inflation is the cruelest tax of all."
13 822 Read More
Re: Cerakote and doublegun solder Ted Schefelbein 06/19/24 12:38 PM
Dustin sent a photo a while back of a coated gun, and the thing looked like it had been hot blued in the picture. Fantastic work. The sad truth is, run of the mill boxlocks are approaching zero demand, and if a guy has one and wants to use it, I shouldn’t care too much about what finish he wants to put on it.

Hey, the queen is dead.

Maybe reach out to Dustin (LeFusil, here) to pick his brain about the gun and the process that was used.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the solder joints on a shotgun barrel eventually need maintenance. It is a regular part of ownership, it just happens. If you are close to that point, your spiffy new finish might be ruined by the ribs needing to be re-layed.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted
15 1,191 Read More
Re: Gamebore Regal 2 1/2" Shotshells PALUNC 06/18/24 08:10 PM
Armusa, told you so
21 2,051 Read More
Re: Calico Hardwoods arrieta2 06/18/24 05:24 PM
Why do you just call the phone number and see if they answer. Are you just wondering or needing to buy wood?

John
Quality Arms
1 368 Read More
Calico Hardwoods, Colin1949 06/18/24 03:26 PM
Is Calico hardwoods, Santa Rosa, Calif. still in business/ I remember visting their business about ten years ago and i was amzed at the quantity and selection stock blanks they had. i type in their name in Google and it comes up with their name, directions, phone number, and saying Permanently closed.
0 194 Read More
Re: Add on Vent Ribs Jimmy W 06/18/24 03:01 PM
That sounds great. Good luck!!
8 546 Read More
Re: Broken Ejector Toby Barclay 06/18/24 01:35 PM
I would concur with most of the advice above.
However, the skill level of your chosen gunsmith is equally important to the method used.
I have repaired exactly the break you have with laser welding and it is still working fine but I approached it with my brain turned on, chose my filler metal carefully and hardened and tempered to achieve toughness not wear resistance. I made sure all filing was carefully radiused and polished.
If you let someone do it who doesn't understand the requirements, it could fail very quickly.
If you go for the gold standard option and have the whole leg remade, the straightness and filing/machining the flat of the split stem is critical or you may have all sort of other issues.
Frankly, if the gun was mine and I didn't have access to a first class gunsmith, I would go for laser welding the original two parts (probably using stainless filler rod as we have discovered it mops up a lot of the carbon, reducing the chance of cracking) and then temper to a fairly soft state to give you toughness. It will wear but if you keep it clean it will probably see you out.
10 796 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Sauer&Sohn - Hahn DR 11mm Mauser - Haupt 50 Der Ami 06/18/24 12:23 PM
Bill,
I'm sorry about the loss of your Grampa's guns. You are right that they can't be replaced, but you can start now, getting guns for your grand kids (and great grandkids). They will appreciate them as much as you appreciated your grampa's that were lost.
Mike
5 343 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: A fine day for shooting classics LRF 06/18/24 12:13 PM
NFB
4 426 Read More
Re: AGC Knickerbocker 12ga High condition limapapa 06/18/24 04:16 AM
So I uploaded 3 pics to ImgBB but have no idea where to find the url to enter into the image url box. Why cant I just click and drag here?
7 590 Read More
Re: Beretta Factory Case/Trade Label Ted Schefelbein 06/18/24 01:08 AM
Thanks, John.

Best,
Ted
4 312 Read More
Re: The first O/U Jimmy W 06/17/24 04:39 PM
Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!
1 488 Read More
Re: 16ga. Sidelock. Wtb ksauers1 06/17/24 04:24 PM
Email sent. Thanks.
2 342 Read More
Side safety Austin Hawthorne 06/17/24 03:37 PM
Recently purchased a Francotte grade 20E with a greener side safety. I don't think it was a conversion since there is no remnant of a normal safety. Has anyone seen any similar Francottes or are aware of why this gun could have been ordered this way?
0 175 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.