June
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, j7l2, 1 invisible), 237 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,734
Posts502,828
Members14,040
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Way off topic….Afghanistan canvasback 06/17/21 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
No. 1 There is no right and wrong with the current admin.

No. 2 Don't try to reason anything they do. All actions are driven by the need to increase power, and wealth. In that order.

Bingo! Perfect explanation.
3 29 Read More
Re: Way off topic….Afghanistan Stanton Hillis 06/17/21 11:09 PM
No. 1 There is no right and wrong with the current admin.

No. 2 Don't try to reason anything they do. All actions are driven by the need to increase power, and wealth. In that order.
3 29 Read More
Re: Way off topic….Afghanistan mc 06/17/21 11:06 PM
Send a lot of black lives matter shirts to Afghanistan
3 29 Read More
Re: Just spoke with Stan... Stanton Hillis 06/17/21 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
The difference is Stan is living in a fantasy land.....100 mph race boats....200 to 400 reps jumping rope every day.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Living the dream, homebOy. 240 hp 2.5L Merc and my 25 yr. old Everlast jump rope. Ball bearings in both of them, BTW.

Tighten up.
51 4,086 Read More
Way off topic….Afghanistan Joe Wood 06/17/21 11:01 PM
Help me with this one. I’m struggling to understand.

So, our government has no plans to bring to the US the Afghanistans who risked their lives aiding us in 20 years of war but is willing to let the Taliban slaughter them and their familys, which they have already begun to do. And at the same time the same government has opened their arms to all illegals coming from the south, breaking all our laws and are providing them with all our services. Humm…..I need someone to instruct me on the nuances of right and wrong.

Please help!
3 29 Read More
Need information on Lefever screw Ghostrider 06/17/21 10:30 PM
I am looking for, or trying to find a gunsmith that can make a Lefever Safety adjustment screw. Any help is appreciated.
0 18 Read More
H&H , ME LIKE skeettx 06/17/21 08:41 PM

Notice the 2 on the barrels and action at the very end of the video

Mike
0 104 Read More
Re: Ithaca Crass Ejector Shotgun Woodsbum 06/17/21 07:25 PM
I have sent along the files via a shared link - please feel free to repost and use as you will. Anyone else who wants them, please contact me and I will share freely.
14 1,983 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun KY Jon 06/17/21 07:10 PM
I would put the weight as far away from the barrels as possible. That way a smaller weight, near the butt plate will be able to balance the heavy barrels. Theoretically you could do the same thing with a greater weight nearer the hinge pin but why make a gun any heavier than needed. You want balance not extra mass to tame recoil. But even a balanced gun may not swing well. Heavy barrels can be balanced with weight in the butt but they are still heavy barrels.
8 329 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: How to protect color case hardening? gunut 06/17/21 07:01 PM
spray lacquer.....
1 25 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun gunut 06/17/21 06:57 PM
or you could cut the barrels back
8 329 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
How to protect color case hardening? Mike325 06/17/21 06:32 PM
Hello, what have u guys used to help protect traditional color case hardened receivers?

I was thinking of using a poly type car wax (not a cleaner wax or abrasive wax, just a poly coating like meguiers next wax 2.0), rennasaince wax, or eezox (a clp that is good for protecting bluing resists acid fingerprints and is excellent in preventing rust). I read somewhere that carnuba wax should not be used but have no idea if that is accurate or not.

Any ideas?

I have a couple guns I'm interested in protecting one is a 1913 gun which has traditional case hardening and the other a 1970s gun which I assume is a chemical type of case hardening plus varnish but I don't really know on that one.

Thanks!
1 25 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun ClapperZapper 06/17/21 05:53 PM
It’s a pretty simple weighted average calculation.

Recognizing that the barrels weigh several times what the rear half of the stock weighs.

Unless they are very short.

So, once a person cuts the pistol grip off which is behind the center of balance, it magnifies the barrel heaviness.

You end up adding a pretty heavy piece of lead in the back to counteract the concentration of mass in the barrels.
8 329 Read More
Re: 20 gauge duck gun to game gun. Tom Findrick 06/17/21 05:38 PM
Ted, you keep saying it’s a really nice gun worth thousands in replacement, given to you from a person you respected.
It sounds like you’re about 3/4 of the way of talking yourself into leaving as-is.
I know that’s what I’d do.
32 824 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun Joe Wood 06/17/21 05:30 PM
I totally understand your question, Buzz, and it’s an interesting one. Very similar question to placement of weight in my airplane. If I put 100 pounds in my aft baggage compartment behind the rear seat the plane will fly well. But the same weight placed near the tail would create a very dangerous aft of Center of Gravity situation. But 10 or 15 pounds near the tail would probably have the same effect on CG as the 100 pounds in the aft baggage compartment. So I surmise a weight in the buttstock near the buttplate would be much lighter than one closer to the action.
8 329 Read More
Re: 20 gauge duck gun to game gun. Lloyd3 06/17/21 02:47 PM
Stan: That was the pad it came with. I'm hearing those Jostam's are getting hard to find now. You'd think someone like Tony Galazan would re-pop them sometime? Don't have that 10 anymore BTW. All that factory 1510 fps steel loosened her up a bit (Heck, it loosened me up a bit too!) so I sent it on down the road. Shooting a lefty 870 in 12 on waterfowl now. Much easier to live with.
32 824 Read More
Re: Automatic safeties HomelessjOe 06/17/21 02:44 PM
All the videos I've watched of Eoropean shooters on sporting clays course carry their guns in cases.
53 1,355 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Fox AE 12 Gauge 30" ed good 06/17/21 01:45 PM
0 73 Read More
20 Gauge Dickinson Estate 30" ed good 06/17/21 01:43 PM
0 49 Read More
fox Sterlingworth 12 Gauge Ejector Gun ed good 06/17/21 01:41 PM
0 27 Read More
LC Smith 16 Gauge Field 98% ed good 06/17/21 01:38 PM
0 43 Read More
Re: Automatic safeties Shotgunlover 06/17/21 12:08 PM
"Most in Europe carry their guns in slips or cases slung over their backs."

At a skeet range? The point was about wear to the hinge pin from carrying the gun open, which is the rule in shooting ranges.
53 1,355 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun L. Brown 06/17/21 10:52 AM
Or you can go the "moment of inertia" route, as did the late British gun writer Gough Thomas.
8 329 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun ClapperZapper 06/17/21 10:34 AM
Do you have a general set of shotgun dynamic measurements that you like?
If there is a number you are working toward, you can do that on paper and then add a set of weights to accomplish it.

If you are doing it iteratively, I have seen someone take a 2 ounce sinker, thread a 3/8 inch hole through it and use a piece of threaded rod to move the weight for and aft within the butt stock.

I don’t find shotguns balanced exactly on the hinge pin to be satisfying for my shooting.

An inch or two ahead of it seems to be a much steadier configuration for me
8 329 Read More
Re: Balancing a shotgun Stanton Hillis 06/17/21 10:18 AM
One easy way to play with that, Buzz, is to find some pvc, or other type plastic tubing that will just slide in the stock bolt hole, and leave it long as possible. Epoxy some shot into one end of it, just guess at the amount needed, to get started. You can then insert the tube into the stock hole with the shot at either end and try it with the weight forward, or rearward. You could even make one up with the shot midway the tube, or add more, until you get what you want.
8 329 Read More
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.