August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 10 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13862 Members
10 Forums
34629 Topics
485304 Posts

Max Online: 462 @ 08/05/16 09:13 PM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com
Jump to new posts Re: The last Rigby Falling Block .577 3", by xausa @ Today at 06:40 AM

The scope mount appears to be of the "see through" variety. Changing the rings might bring the scope down to an acceptable level. I wouldn't want to shoot it in that configuration, either.
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by gjw @ Today at 06:13 AM

Hi all, I've owned both. I had a SKB 200E and presently a Merkel 147E. IMO, the Merkel is a much better gun. Handling is better, the SKB was blocky to me. The fit and finish are better with the Merkel. The SKB just had that cheap feel to it. The
Jump to new posts Re: Why don't shotguns ring chambers? by SKB @ Today at 05:55 AM

Backer rod is not flower arranging foam. Your ignorance is on full display once again. Were you to be interested in learning instead of slinging mud, you might read Graham Wright's book "shooting the British Double rifle" as it covers the
Jump to new posts Re: The last Rigby Falling Block .577 3", by SKB @ Today at 05:53 AM

The scope is quite high and the stock low. Not ideal, not to mention the recoil involved. I would not shoot it with the scope myself.
Jump to new posts Re: Why don't shotguns ring chambers? by keith @ Today at 03:09 AM

There is currently a discussion concerning the use of fillers in the Double Rifle forum. Not surprisingly, there are opposing views echoing what I have read elsewhere, and some interesting theories. One guy says that chamber ringing is a gradual thi
Jump to new posts Re: Why don't shotguns ring chambers? by Shotgunjones @ Today at 02:36 AM

I'm planning to start with AA 5744 in the 45-70. Western Powders states to NOT use fillers or wads. They have me convinced. They also make the claim that one reason AA 5744 works well in the old BP cases is because of it's low density but that wou
Jump to new posts Re: Why don't shotguns ring chambers? by keith @ Today at 02:21 AM

I'm not so sure that the problem of ringing chambers in rifles has much to do with the difference in chamber pressures vs. shotguns, because each is designed to handle normal chamber pressure with a margin of safety built in. Originally Posted By: c
Jump to new posts Re: Why don't shotguns ring chambers? by Shotgunjones @ Today at 02:05 AM

I've considered all this. The rings form where the base of the bullet is in the cartridge, so it would appear that rifling engagement has not yet occurred. In fact, there has been no bullet motion. Inertia is inertia. An ounce is 437 grains, no m
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by Shotgunjones @ Today at 01:29 AM

My first SxS was a Merkel 47E. I ordered it as a pistol grip single trigger before I knew any better. I wouldn't do that today. They are superbly fitted hand made guns. There is really no comparison with an SKB anything. Two very different exper
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by Shotgunjones @ Today at 01:23 AM

WS1 is a converging/diverging nozzle. Mine is actually .008" constriction, but they apparently average less. It then bells out past bore diameter. Beretta makes their skeet chokes this way also, at least in Mobil Choke and Optima. It's a v
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by Karl Graebner @ Yesterday at 11:06 PM

I have Merkels in 12,20, and 28 gauge and love them. Here is my 20 ga. which weighs 5 lb. 12 oz. and is a delight to hunt with. I will be the first to admit that Merkel's are an acquired taste! Karl
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by Replacement @ Yesterday at 10:34 PM

A friend had a Merkel 47E 20ga, and it seemed rather heavy for the gauge. Nice gun, though.
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by Replacement @ Yesterday at 10:32 PM

One of my books has a drawing of the WS1 and WS2 chokes. Memory is off and the books are 100 miles away right now. Probably one of the Model 12 books.
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by Stan @ Yesterday at 10:29 PM

Dave, if I understand you, according to your measurements, the WS1 flares (opens) .010" from a measurement of .005". That would make the measurement at the muzzle -.005", or .005" more open than cylinder, correct? Do I underst
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by Researcher @ Yesterday at 09:58 PM

In my experience Winchester's WS-1 is about .005" constriction an inch and a quarter from the muzzle and then a flare of about .010" to the muzzle. Back in the 1930s Savage's Skeet Cylinder in the right barrels of their Ansley H. Fox Skeet
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by Dave Weber @ Yesterday at 09:47 PM

Correct....Merkel images on the top.
Jump to new posts Re: British gun term? by craigd @ Yesterday at 09:23 PM

Interesting comments Toby. I would have thought, if there was some evidence of barrel work that it might have had to be submitted for proof before being sold. I never would have suspected the auction house expediting a gun to the market.
Jump to new posts Re: The last Rigby Falling Block .577 3", by BrentD @ Yesterday at 09:23 PM

That scope looks to be a mile high. Is it reasonably functional up there or am I imagining things?
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by BrentD @ Yesterday at 09:20 PM

Merkels are certainly Teutonic. But also certainly not so cold as a low grade American gun. Nor is it as cold as an SKB, which is not one bit easier to shoot than a Merkel, and certainly colder than a grinch's heart. No, if you really want to see s
Jump to new posts Re: The last Rigby Falling Block .577 3", by craigd @ Yesterday at 09:14 PM

Thanks for the pictures Steve. I admit I'm not the biggest fan of the of the Webley lever proportions, but that's my hangup, and not any knock on that great rifle. Just on appearances, that scope might have collected an eyebrow or two.
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by RARiddell @ Yesterday at 09:06 PM

No, not really but curiosity has got me!
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by Stan @ Yesterday at 09:01 PM

Rick, I understand your curiosity, but does it really matter what WS1 is? You can order a choke cut to any dimension there is, within .001". What it is called (WS1, or SK1 and SK2) is way secondary to what the choke actually does. I can attes
Jump to new posts Re: WS1 choke constriction by skeettx @ Yesterday at 08:48 PM

https://shotgunreport.com/2016/03/09/skeet-chokes/ Skeets Gun Shop Gun shop in the Woodall, Oklahoma Address: 14007 US-62, Tahlequah, OK 74464 Phone: (918) 456-4749
Jump to new posts WS1 choke constriction by RARiddell @ Yesterday at 08:38 PM

What exactly is it? There is so many opinions on the net it’s hard to sort out. Can this choke be cut in a standard barrel or is it a part of the manufacturing process? Know of anyone who can cut it?
Jump to new posts Re: SKB vrs Merkel ?? by Stan @ Yesterday at 08:36 PM

Merkels are finely made guns, no doubt. They are strong and should last several lifetimes ......... but they leave me cold. I could have bought one in really nice condition for a song once. I was allowed to take it home and shoot it. I did, and I di
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2019 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.