August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (dearmer, Stan, 1 invisible), 3 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13862 Members
10 Forums
34629 Topics
485303 Posts

Max Online: 462 @ 08/05/16 09:13 PM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com
Jump to new posts Re: Discovery. by craigd @ 08/08/20 05:50 PM

If you can shoot with your boy, that's a good enough excuse to shoot from which ever side you want. My boy is a bit older, but still a college kid. Over the last two weeks I threw many hundreds of hand and cheapie spring thrower targets for him. Coac
Jump to new posts Re: Help with wood grade? by John Roberts @ 08/08/20 05:47 PM

The wood is certainly not bad. It has enough character to distinguish it above just plain grade. Pretty much standard quality for those guns. This one's above average but the forend is plain as your hand: https://images.gunsinternational.com/lis...7
Jump to new posts Re: Discovery. by ChiefAmungum @ 08/08/20 05:41 PM

Stay the course, it WILL get better. Forced to switch sides quite a while ago. Now it's second nature. Best of luck to you both! Chief
Jump to new posts Re: Help with wood grade? by RARiddell @ 08/08/20 05:36 PM

Yeah not sure about the butt plate, was curious about the wood grade for Brownings. Seemed a little more figured for a grade 1.
Jump to new posts Re: Help with wood grade? by John Roberts @ 08/08/20 05:29 PM

Wood doesn't shrink enough to cause something as glaring as that ill-fitted butt plate. From 100 year old Parkers to 50 year old Superposeds, the butt plates all still fit perfectly with almost very few exceptions. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com
Jump to new posts Re: J. A. Scotcher by Bluestem @ 08/08/20 05:23 PM

Hill Rod & Gun sold a J.A. Scotcher gun years ago. From their archives description: "JA SCOTCHER, ST EDMUNDS, BLNE, 2 1/2", 30" choked Mod/Full. 14 5/8" well figured wood to horn butt plate. Action retains weak to moderate ca
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com
Jump to new posts Re: metal prep by Woodreaux @ 08/08/20 04:35 PM

Thanks for the great rundown. I appreciate your willingness to share your methods as always.
Jump to new posts Re: Bluing Removal by Woodreaux @ 08/08/20 04:24 PM

Would those acidic or other rust removal options work for hot blue, cold blue, etc? Or just for rust blued steel?
Jump to new posts Re: Discovery. by Imperdix @ 08/08/20 04:13 PM

That`s quite a challenge ,hope it works out for you!!!
Jump to new posts Re: Discovery. by Ted Schefelbein @ 08/08/20 03:51 PM

James, Trust me, it should. Maybe there are guys that can make it look easy. But, that guy ain’t me. Best, Ted
Jump to new posts Re: Discovery. by canvasback @ 08/08/20 03:31 PM

Well done Ted . I have the eye dominance thing going on and the thought of switching shoulders gives me nightmares.
Jump to new posts Re: Help with wood grade? by Ithaca5E @ 08/08/20 03:29 PM

It's normal to that particular model. Way beyond Select grade. There is between 25 and 50% figure, so perhaps an A+ grade. The Browning M12s had well fitted buttplates - this one is just showing the effects of 30 years of wood drying and shrinking
Jump to new posts Discovery. by Ted Schefelbein @ 08/08/20 03:13 PM

My re-education in the world of shooting sports continues. I have been slowly moving my shotgunning over to the right shoulder after about fifty years of shooting off the left. Had I but known about eye dominance, circa 1974 or so, I might have star
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com
Jump to new posts Re: virtual gun show by Boltman @ 08/08/20 03:12 PM

Absolutely beautiful collection Vall! Stunning. And of course, you know I love that M1881 Marlin. This sure all makes for a great day at our gunshow today. By the way, that Marlin half SRC - what caliber?
Jump to new posts Re: Field gun preferred weight by pmag @ 08/08/20 02:09 PM

I had a Midland XXV Featherweight 12 bore, except it had 28" barrels. It carried nicely and I shot it very well on quail, grouse and woodcock. It weighed 6lb, 1 oz after I put a pad on it. Like a fool I sold it.
Jump to new posts Re: metal prep by Der Ami @ 08/08/20 01:38 PM

I find a barrett file very handy for "backing up" abrasive cloth next to the ribs, they can get a little closer than half round. Mike
Jump to new posts Re: Bluing Removal by Der Ami @ 08/08/20 01:27 PM

If it is still on the market, brick cleaner "Sur Kleen"(?) used full strength works immediately, but has to be washed off immediately also, or it will cause pitting. As far as bluing over old finish that doesn't need polishing, SKB is abso
Jump to new posts Adding pictures to an ad by sandlapper @ 08/08/20 01:09 PM

Can anyone instruct a computer challenged guy on how to add pictures to a post on this site , please? Thanks, Marcus
Jump to new posts Re: Bluing Removal by james-l @ 08/08/20 12:15 PM

I've used CLR, its mild compared to the other methods and is available at your local grocery store.
Jump to new posts Re: Help with wood grade? by John Roberts @ 08/08/20 12:12 PM

Slightly above plain. Poorly fitted butt plate. JR
Jump to new posts Re: Field gun preferred weight by Cameron @ 08/08/20 12:11 PM

My lightest is a 5 lb 10 oz, 16 ga N Guyot, which I shoot fine. Most of the rest of my upland guns weigh between 6 lbs and 6 lbs 9 oz. At my age, a shotgun in the vicinity of 6 lbs is a blessing when hiking around some of the Snake River or other r
Jump to new posts Re: Bluing Removal by SKB @ 08/08/20 12:06 PM

Brent....that is the "old gunshow trick", Never "re-finished"... You certainly can do that. Rust blue is a chemical process that can be stopped and started at will. It actually works quite well in certain situations, especially f
Jump to new posts Re: Bluing Removal by BrentD @ 08/08/20 12:00 PM

Steve, if a rust-blued barrel did not need the polish, but did need to tidy up thinning blue, could you just clean it well blue over it? Seems that the well blued areas would not really change much while the thin spots caught up. Never had the cour
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com
Jump to new posts Re: virtual gun show by Vall @ 08/08/20 11:49 AM

Here's a couple others from my collection. Schoyen Ballard .32-40 AW Peterson Ballard in .22LR HM Pope 3 barrel set in .32-40, .28-35 Pope, and .22 WCF. With Pope's patented takedown system. Zettler Bros. Ballard #6 Schuetzen in .22 S
Jump to new posts Re: Bluing Removal by SKB @ 08/08/20 11:40 AM

Post above detailing my process. Questions and comments encouraged. Steve
Page 14 of 20 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20 >

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2019 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.