April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Southern Sport, Perry M. Kissam, Stanton Hillis, obsessed-with-doubles, 1 invisible), 249 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,038
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Parker DH english stock. Chad Linder 04/23/24 04:15 PM
Mark, I'm interested in this gun
1 73 Read More
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Blued? FallCreekFan 04/23/24 04:13 PM
As for your two questions:

“Do you think the barrels were re-blued?” Seems so to me but there are plenty of experts here (starting with Dustin above) who can answer that definitively.

And …

“Should I get them re-blued?” That’s a purely personal question and should have a subjective answer. You didn’t ask if I (we) would re-blue them. And that’s probably just as well as you’d get subjective answers with justifications. And there’s nothing wrong with that. These are our guns. We’re the stewards of them for this chapter of their existence and then they go on to the next fellow. Make yourself happy and in so doing make yourself part of the history of the gun. That’s good…and good enough.

Meanwhile, enjoy your fine gun in good health.
8 262 Read More
Re: RST ksauers1 04/23/24 03:46 PM
Really? Not what I need and use for hunting
7 372 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? BrentD, Prof 04/23/24 03:43 PM
I love the stool. No chance I would even consider changing it into a gunstock. Leave it just like it is.
10 278 Read More
Re: Powder price guess BrentD, Prof 04/23/24 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by dogon
Slightly off topic but related. You think common reloading powders are expensive, take a look at Blackhorn 209 muzzleloading powder. This stuff has a going rate of $80 to $100 for 8oz's. Even at these prices for a half pound, it's impossible to find & usually sells out as fast as someone gets it in stock.

Why not just real black? Although expensive at ~$34/lb, it is not that bad, and itis the real thing.
7 209 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? FallCreekFan 04/23/24 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by damascus
This is what a young man did with a tree Burr in the 1920s.

Love what that young man did. But more so, the story. Thanks for the “show and tell.”
10 278 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? John Roberts 04/23/24 03:06 PM

JR
10 278 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! ClapperZapper 04/23/24 02:59 PM
Just my opinion.
Based on 35 years of SxS shoot attendance.
Every shoot but a couple that cost a shooter more than $100.00 (including shells) will struggle.

In the LP of MI we have many, mostly well attended, that acknowledge the reality that these customers are cost sensitive.
Fuel, cartridges, targets, and then rooms and meals, push the most ambitious shots away from attending.

The TofT shoot (great venue and people) was a perfect example of reaching too far.

I enjoyed shooting there, but I have good ears, and heard avg SxS shooters discussing it (+ and -)for many years after.
15 269 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? Hal M Hare 04/23/24 02:55 PM
Prove everyone wrong!
10 278 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? Bob Cash 04/23/24 02:50 PM
You've got to love the knots !!
10 278 Read More
Re: Blued? LeFusil 04/23/24 02:49 PM
If you want those barrels to look good again and correct, they’ll have to be polished and all of that old blacking removed. Anything else would be half assed. I don’t like putting new rust blacking over old, worn or heavily patina’d blacking. It never blends right, especially when you look at the barrels in good light. Easier to just strip it all off and start with clean bare metal.

Dustin
8 262 Read More
Parker DH english stock. SOLD Marks_21 04/23/24 02:37 PM
SOLD Very respectable DH grade Parker, english stock , skeleton butt, tight and sound. 30 in, full and x-full, 14 in LOP, 2.75 DAH, 1 5/8 DAC.
#2 frame. Discoloration of wood around skeleton butt, and a trace of blemish ( i mean a micro speck ) in the left bore 6 inches from the muzzle. I wouldn't give it a split second of thought, I don't believe it was honed, altered or touched in anyway. Clean survivor.
SOLD

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 73 Read More
Re: Blued? HMAK 04/23/24 02:37 PM
"Cerakote? Really? And you are asking about originality issues?"
I'm not really even remotely considering Cerakote, just put it out there to see what kind of response I'd get.

My real question is do you think the barrels have already been reblued at some point in their life?

I personally will not be doing the re-blue - if it is done, it will be done correctly - it would be sent off to someone that specializes in re-blueing.
8 262 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? NCTarheel 04/23/24 02:32 PM
That walnut blank will make some nice turkey calls. Several years ago, I purchased a similar blank determined unfit for a gunstock blank that worked out well for making turkey calls. By the time you cut and turn down the wood, most of the imperfections are gone. Anyway, it worked out with the blank I tried.
10 278 Read More
L.C. Smith Grade 3E English stock NEAT!! SOLD Marks_21 04/23/24 02:30 PM
I SOLD a neat little L.C. Smith -- Grade 3E, 26 in Nitro Steel Barrels, English stock, Monogram grade checkering. Clean and respectable gun. SOLD

2 79 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? Jimmy W 04/23/24 02:20 PM
Those TV shows where they dredge rivers and find logs that have been underwater for 100 years or more are interesting. Years ago I could have been one of three guys at my club to have a Silver Seitz trap gun made from the same tree of Birdseye curly maple. But at $12,000, I had to pass. 😔
10 278 Read More
Re: RST Jimmy W 04/23/24 02:10 PM
And Winchester 209 primers are back out!! 😊
7 372 Read More
Re: Powder price guess dogon 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Slightly off topic but related. You think common reloading powders are expensive, take a look at Blackhorn 209 muzzleloading powder. This stuff has a going rate of $80 to $100 for 8oz's. Even at these prices for a half pound, it's impossible to find & usually sells out as fast as someone gets it in stock.
7 209 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? HistoricBore 04/23/24 01:41 PM
Looks like no responses so far.
All I know is that the Webley 700 boxlocks have a hinge pin that is not removable, but can be built up with some TiG welding and then ground down to size, which is expensive.

Over to you, gunsmiths...
6 343 Read More
Re: RST ed good 04/23/24 01:39 PM
yeah!
7 372 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 01:37 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Like my local fireman said, "So many variables." And it says, right in Marc Ret's third post that ammunition is safe, "if it IS NOT IN THE CHAMBER OF A FIREARM. 🙄
15 424 Read More
Re: Blued? HistoricBore 04/23/24 01:34 PM
Bluing?
I would call that 'patina', the signs of a useful life in the field, many exceptional adventures. Leave it as it is.

You should see the barrels of my 1946 Webley 600 boxlock ...

HB
8 262 Read More
Re: Powder price guess Der Ami 04/23/24 01:28 PM
I always say, "If you wait until you need something to buy it, you pay too much".
Mike
7 209 Read More
Re: Blued? Der Ami 04/23/24 01:15 PM
I agree with canvasback about the Cerakote. The blemishes remind me of a blue job carried out in winter(poor) light. The barrels can be de-greased with acetone after disassembly and the barrels re-blued without re-polishing. A couple passes of slow rust bluing, carefully done in good light should do the job, without a lot of time or expense. Polishing is what takes the most time and where the most likelihood of damage lies.
Mike
8 262 Read More
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand ellenbr 04/23/24 01:12 PM
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

If I read the number correctly, the tubeset weighed 1410 grammes on the final pass.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
9 150 Read More
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.