March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Gauges and payloads coosa 03/27/24 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Sad to say Coosa, is that most S X S shooters don't even know if the loads they're shooting regulate in their S X S gun. I've found that lots of vintage S X Ss prefer a certain payload at a certain velocity, and loads a lot faster, lighter, etc. will NOT regulate, but will crossfire badly, or vice versa. I'm certain I have several that would not even come close to being regulated with 3/4 oz. loads, at any reasonable velocity.

I've never patterned light loads in any of my SxS guns, but I have tested 8 different guns with the heavy TSS turkey loads. None of them would shoot either barrel to POA. In 7 of them, the right barrel shot to the right and the left barrel to the left. One kinda cheap Spanish gun cross fired every load that I tried in it. It was made in the 60s, but looked new. I suspect that everyone who ever owned it couldn't hit a thing with it and gave up using it. It had fixed chokes, but was worthless the way it was so I took a file to it and got it to shoot a TSS load straight. It's now my backup turkey gun and has killed several turkeys. Of course, that load is the only thing it will center.

My theory is that a SxS gun can only shoot one load perfectly. The results might be acceptable with other loads, but only one can be right.
59 2,090 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission RyanF 03/27/24 01:49 AM
Barf. DEI. Didn't Earn It.

Skeptical any of them can tell a grouse from a pheasant or a trout from a whitefish. I mostly feel bad for the CPW employees that have STEM degrees and are qualified professionals. This has to be a kick in the nuts for them.
29 553 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission craigd 03/27/24 01:38 AM
Where's Jimmy and prof, going where the science takes them. At least Steve's okay, shoot'in pheasant on Ida's sacred grounds, that she, oops does it identify that way, has forsaken for greener urban pastures. Baby steps, just kidding, it's a sprint, to the new common ground.
29 553 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads DGM 03/27/24 01:37 AM
I' was first introduced to 3/4 oz RSTs by Morris Baker while at Hausmans. Also have had some from NobelSport. Certainly soft shooting and no muzzle flip. Seems to do a great job on close in clays. But where I've really used it has been shooting quail in my 6.5 lb 12 gauge. Easy to get a second shot off and doesn't damage the birds. Turns my 12 gauge into a 28 gauge. I'm amused by people who think they need an ounce of shot to kill a 6 ounce bird. That's like throwing 15 pounds of lead at a hundred pound deer.
59 2,090 Read More
Holts March 2024 Owenjj3 03/27/24 01:32 AM
I went 1-4 today, but really put in some trolling type low bids on a few items. Wound up with one gun case for £220. I really wanted the Woodward 16 ga hammer gun but just lost out. Did someone here win it???
11 353 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
CVA kit from the 70's PhysDoc 03/27/24 01:31 AM
When I was a teenager, I took some of my Milwaukee Journal paper route money and bought a CVA Kentucky Pistol kit at
a gun show. Within a short time, I screwed something up, removing too much wood for the forend cap to attach to
and the half cock notch on the tumbler broke. The kit sat in my parents basement until my dad decided to downsize,
he brought from Milwaukee to Kansas City tubs of stuff, including the kit and his Seneca Falls lathe. I dug out the kit
in November, thinking my 10 year old son and I could finally finish it, it touched me that my dad had put a small hand vise
with the kit to compress the mainspring, which is necessary to replace the tumbler. Some parts were lost over the years, and I found a
replacement tumbler on ebay.

Did any of you start this way? Truthfully, I felt like a failure for not being able to finish it. Now I think, the kit maker was a
bit shoddy, and this was before CNC equipment was widespread (so I forgive them) , and optimistic about the buyer needing for example, only a hand drill instead of a drill press. I've learned a lot and have better tools and have now forgiven my 14 year old self for not completing it. Attached are a picture of my son working on it and the kit in pieces, with the parts ready for finishing. We are now browning the barrel, applying coats of Howe #1 to the stock and have heat blued the small parts.

So once again, did any of you start this way and have similar memories?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
5 102 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission John Roberts 03/27/24 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by GLS
It could be worse. No one is named "Karen", But"Krystal" is close... Gil
Krystal Tran definitely trumps Karen, GLS.
JR
29 553 Read More
Florida SXS Shoot April 7 DGM 03/27/24 12:43 AM
Looks interesting.

April 7th

SIDE BY SIDE SHOOT
OK CORRAL GUN CLUB
OKEECHOBEE, FL

SIDE BY SIDE FUN SHOOT, 50 TARGETS SHOT OVER 7 STATIONS (SUB-GAUGE COURSE) ADDED HANDICAP FOR SMALL BORES: 16 GAUGE- 2 TARGETS 20 GAUGE- 4 TARGETS 28 GAUGE- 7 TARGETS .410 BORE- 10 TARGETS , STARTS AT 9AM WITH LUNCH AVAILABLE AROUND 12PM. GOLF CARTS NOT INCLUDED

Registration/Details: https://app.scorechaser.com/tournament-F0OYALLOQBD0T7

Nice Club: https://okcorralgunclub.com/
1 88 Read More
Re: shotgun shooting after cataract surgery Little Creek 03/27/24 12:22 AM
The real issue for me is not at the range. It is night vision while driving. Gone down...
21 572 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission GLS 03/27/24 12:12 AM
It could be worse. No one is named "Karen", But"Krystal" is close... Gil
29 553 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission eeb 03/26/24 11:44 PM
quote=Bluestem]Start sending them grant applications to build new gun ranges that include target shooting programs for "disenfranchised youth."[/quote]

Genius. This is Babylon Bee level satire right here
29 553 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission Bluestem 03/26/24 11:25 PM
Start sending them grant applications to build new gun ranges that include target shooting programs for "disenfranchised youth."
29 553 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission KDGJ 03/26/24 11:25 PM
Did I miss something? None of these people have a hunting background or seem to care about hunting. Maybe they’ll just work in Denver. sick

Ken
29 553 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 HalfaDouble 03/26/24 10:20 PM
The entire 360 family is confusing. The 360 2 1/4 BPE and the 9.3x57R(360) were black powder cartridges in essentially the same case so used BP (or for the Brit, Nitro for BP) loaded to max 28,000 PSI. The 360 2 1/4 Nitro Express used the same brass but was loaded to 34,000 PSI so for newer rifles only and marked for Nitro. The 360 #2 Nitro Express was a much larger in diameter 3 inch case with nearly twice the powder capacity and Nitro only. To add confusion, the 400-360 NE used brass in between the two in diameter and 2 3/4 inches long for Nitro only. I load my 9.3x57R(360) rifles with nitro powder at nitro for black powder levels and I would guess that the Germans did also. Early German and Swedish loads would have been BP. Husqvarna made rolling block rifles in that caliber until 1915 and recommended loads from 50 to 54 grains of BP with bullets from 160 to 195 grains in weight.
20 381 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. Argo44 03/26/24 10:04 PM
I usually leaf through every catalogue Scotarms publishes on line (mostly parts and actions) as a curiosity. There are invariably a dozen names I've never heard of. It's a fine hour.
http://www.scotarms.co.uk
35 1,296 Read More
Re: Fort Worth Gun Show ed good 03/26/24 09:44 PM
gunsinternational and gunbroker....
2 146 Read More
Re: Fort Worth Gun Show skeettx 03/26/24 08:43 PM
2 146 Read More
Fort Worth Gun Show Tamid 03/26/24 08:37 PM
I attended this show a few weeks ago. Its been about 20 years since I attended my last US gun show. MY overall impressions are what has been said on this site, 50% handguns, 25% AR platforms, 20% trinkets and food and 5% other guns. My question revolves around the other guns. There was a significant missing of used long guns for sale. Hardly a shotgun and only wall hanger sxs. Was it just the show or where do people sell their used guns?
2 146 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission KY Jon 03/26/24 08:26 PM
One large city can run roughshod over an entire state. Chicago over Illinois for example or Denver over Colorado. What a shame. Once the crazies gain power they quickly move to total control and then almost actively work to destroy the very things which made them move there in the first place like low crime, safe cities. Then they fix things until they have their dream California state, which they fled before and move again to a non California like area. Rinse, repeat and screw up things again.
29 553 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 Der Ami 03/26/24 07:40 PM
CJF,
It seems that you are mixing terms. In the 360-2 1/4" case there was an "express" loading with a lighter bullet at a higher velocity using black power. The term "nitro for black" doesn't apply to the rifles, rather it applies to ammunition loaded by factories for black powder rifles using smokeless power at a pressure appropriate for the rifles and hopefully to "regulate" close to the black power load. Also, in the 360 2 1/4" case, there was a Nitro Express load with a 300-grain jacketed bullet at a higher velocity for use only in rifles proofed for Nitro Express ammo. Your fine Watson double rifle is not for 360 Nitro Express, but 360 Black powder Express and 360 Nitro for Black powder Express should be OK.
Mike
20 381 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission John Roberts 03/26/24 06:55 PM
Absolutely worthless, unadulterated garbage. Nothing but a Democrat bureaucracy that achieves nothing other than appeasing the woke left, Satan's spawn. We now dwell in a modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah...
JR
29 553 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission improved modified 03/26/24 06:22 PM
So glad I don’t live in Colorado. Had a buddy move there and he was in denial about the reality of the situation. He owns class 3 stuff and he will pay the price. What the state doesn’t realize is that by offering “access to the outdoors” by disadvantaged groups is a default confession of guilt that the state of Colorado engaged in discriminatory practices in the past and now needs to rectify that.
29 553 Read More
OT- New Colorado DOW commission Lloyd3 03/26/24 06:10 PM
Travis Duncan
Public Information Supervisor
720-595-8294 / travis.duncan@state.co.us

Colorado Parks and Wildlife announces the appointment of new Outdoor Equity Grant Board members

DENVER – The Department of Natural Resources and Colorado Parks and Wildlife today announced four new Outdoor Equity Grant Board members. The board, created by the passage of House Bill 21-1318, increases access to Colorado’s outdoors with investments in organizations that provide outdoor recreation, conservation education, and career opportunities through the Outdoor Equity Grant program.

We welcome the following newly appointed board members:
• Ida Williams - A member impacted by and with experience in racial justice issues (4-year term)
• Hilda Nucete - A member with experience working on conservation issues (4-year term)
• Krystal Tran - A youth member from a community served by the grant (2-year term)
• Omar Munoz - A youth member from a community served by the grant (1-year term)
Board members were selected through an open and public application process. After careful consideration, the committee selected the final candidates from about 40 applicants, and the four new board members have now been formally appointed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the Department of Natural Resources.

“Congratulations to the new members of the Outdoor Equity Grant Board. In only a few short years the Board has already demonstrated significant success and impact for Colorado youth and under-represented communities in Colorado’s outdoors,” said Dan Gibbs, Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Natural Resources. “I am impressed by the new energy and youth who serve on this Board, who have stepped up as the next generation of leaders who are willing to do the hard critical work to ensure we have equal access for all Coloradans in our great outdoors.”

The board administers the Outdoor Equity Grant program and awards grants to organizations or applicants that engage youth up to age 25 and their families from underrepresented communities by providing equitable access to Colorado’s parks, outdoor recreation, conservation activities, career exploration, and job training. The traditionally excluded communities served by this program include Black, Indigenous, and people of color, American Indian and Native, LGBTQ+, those with disabilities, and low-income individuals.

“I am grateful for all the members of the Outdoor Equity Grant Board who advise Colorado Parks and Wildlife in making Colorado more equitable, inclusive, and accessible,” said CPW Director Jeff Davis. “ Every year I am impressed by this Board’s thoughtful approach to serving youth and families from diverse backgrounds across the state of Colorado, and I look forward to seeing the sustained impact this Board will have on CPW’s mission.”

About Ida Williams:
Ida, born and raised in Colorado, is a member of the Santee Dakota, Oglala Lakota, Northern and Southern Cheyenne, and Ojibwe Tribes. Ida studied Accounting and Finance at University of Colorado, Denver, as an undergrad before getting her MBA at Gonzaga. She has worked across many industries throughout the state but now supports community-led philanthropic projects across Colorado through her work at Trailhead Institute. Before joining Trailhead, Ida worked with American Indian organizations and local entrepreneurs to build financial capacities and better boards of directors. Ida is deeply connected and invested in the nonprofit community, especially those serving urban American Indian Families and Youth. She also owns her own small business beautifying Coloradans. From hairbrushes to power tools, Ida loves learning and trying out new skills and crafts. When she’s not working on something, Ida can be found spending time with her big family or outdoors enjoying our own Colorful Colorado.

About Hilda Nucete:
Hilda Nucete's journey is a tapestry woven with threads of advocacy, leadership, and a profound love for the outdoors. Born in a Venezuelan oil camp and raised amidst the bustling streets of Caracas, Venezuela, Hilda's path was shaped by the complexities of her homeland's political landscape. In 2007, she embarked on a life-changing move to Colorado with her family, where her awareness expanded to encompass social, racial, and environmental justice.

Professionally, Hilda's passion for positive change led her to roles such as the Protégete Program Director at Conservation Colorado, where she orchestrated impactful environmental initiatives. Currently, as the Senior Director of Civic Engagement at League of Conservation Voters, she leads voter registration programs in marginalized communities, registering over 1.5 million voters.
Hilda's commitment extends beyond her professional endeavors. She served as the Co-Chair for the Health Equity Commission and chaired the Best Practices for Community Engagement Subcommittee of the Colorado Environmental Justice Action Task Force, driving transformative recommendations.

Outside of her advocacy work, Hilda finds solace and joy in Colorado's breathtaking landscapes. Her love for the outdoors not only rejuvenates her spirit, it fuels her commitment to environmental conservation and justice.

About Omar Munoz:
Omar Munoz is pursuing a pre-med biology degree at the University of Colorado, with plans to advance to medical school, and works as a medical assistant and EMT with a profound commitment to supporting underrepresented populations through healthcare. Beyond these roles, Omar is also a CPR instructor, teaching life-saving skills at the clinic where he works and for his community.

Omar is deeply involved in volunteer work, assisting in teaching English and citizenship classes, and an avid outdoors enthusiast, embracing all that Colorado has to offer. From hiking and skiing to exploring the state's diverse geography, his interests in the natural world extend to its rocks, minerals, plants, and wildlife. He is driven by his passion for healthcare, education, community service, and a profound appreciation for nature.

About Krystal Tran:
Born and raised in Denver, Krystal is passionate about sharing accessible green spaces in urban areas with her community members through environmental educational programs. In 2022, she graduated from Colorado State University in Environmental Science and Sustainability, Environmental Affairs. She hopes to continue addressing environmental disparities and recognize programs that have the same passion for environmental justice. In her free time, she loves to thrift, explore local businesses in the city, and take care of all her house plants.

For more information about the Outdoor Equity Grant Program, visit cpw.state.co.us.

___
The OEGP is funded with Colorado Lottery proceeds and allocates funding through grants for initiatives that focus on increasing access to the outdoors for youth and families from communities that are traditionally underrepresented in outdoor recreation and conservation. For more information, visit cpw.state.co.us.

CPW is an enterprise agency, relying primarily on license sales, state parks fees and registration fees to support its operations, including: 43 state parks and more than 350 wildlife areas covering approximately 900,000 acres, management of fishing and hunting, wildlife watching, camping, motorized and non-motorized trails, boating and outdoor education. CPW's work contributes approximately $6 billion in total economic impact annually throughout Colorado.

Copyright © 2024 Colorado Parks and Wildlife, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website to receive communication from Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

Our mailing address is:
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
6060 Broadway
Denver, CO 80216
29 553 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt Lloyd3 03/26/24 05:12 PM
Thanks Dr. Drew! A timely article (certainly for me these days). The rotary bolt seems to be almost exclusively an American application. Smith, Baker, Fox, and Ithaca employed them endlessly and as the years pass, they keep on doing the job. Alex Brown's 1883 design is good one and in a mostly machine-made gun, they are hard to argue with. The Brits don't use them on anything "bespoke" (unless you consider the Greener cross-bolt or a 3rd-bite a variant) because they generally criticize any rib extension as another "unnecessary-encumbrance" to accessing the barrels for the loading process, and for London "Best" guns "they simply won't do". Allright...very different economic situations(!) and the Brits clearly know their market well (and make sure to build accordingly). With only a few exceptions, American guns have always tended more towards the unadorned "general-use" category anyway (historically, most American families could only afford one shotgun & it had to do it all, i.e. hunting & defense). If there was the luxury of another weapon at home, it was likely a rifle (or occasionally, a pistol) and similarly unadorned.

It was and is a purely economic game and that really is "the final word". Col. Askins was simply schilling for the home team (because "he knew where his bread was buttered"- to quote my maternal grandmother).
10 371 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. Jimmy W 03/26/24 04:31 PM
You know something? If it weren't for people like you gentlemen, we would probably never hear about a lot of these. Thanks! We truly learn a lot from all of you!! Good Luck!!
35 1,296 Read More
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.