March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jeremy Pearce, SKB, Sandlapper, journeymen, 2 invisible), 518 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,415
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Where Does Castoff Begin? Stanton Hillis 03/17/24 03:37 AM
IMO, it begins at the rear of the tang. I have built in cast on a rifle stock, and began it there, and it looks right to me.
1 121 Read More
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: looking for a Ruger Gold Label gunsmith KY Jon 03/17/24 01:28 AM
Being out of production or even if the factory is closed forever, like Remington and several others, does not mean you should not buy them. The failure rate of these guns is very low. Their designs are well understood so there is no mystery how to repair them. Parts can be made or repaired so that is not that big of a deal. The real limiting factor to me is that we have so few good gun smiths and many of them are backed up with work. Gold and Red Labels did have a few issues with the barrels, but that is another matter. Just because you can fix a gun, sometimes it does not make sense to pour money into it. I already have that tee shirt and might be about to pay for another.

I am looking at buying a Young Repeating Arms shotgun which was made in 1902, factory was 1901-1903, so they are a rare gun. They are a push forwards, two shot, pump repeater. Problem is this gun needs to be sleeved by UK rules. I looked into a proof exempt certificate, but that is a non starter. If it is out of proof, I can not buy it and get it sent in for reproof. So my two choices are to buy it, cut for sleeving, with a chunk cut out of the barrel, or have it deactivated, with two slots cut in the barrel. Neither choice is good to me. Or just keep waiting for another one to come along. They made almost 300 of them am told.

I do not think that is going to be an easy to sleeve gun because of its design. Everything rides on the barrel under works and action which covers about ten inches of the barrel. No easy sleeve joint 4-6" down the barrel. I have two feelers out to people who might be able to see about sleeving as a option. But I am afraid the numbers just will not work out. Rare, does not mean valuable in this case. At best this is a gun worth $1,500-2,000. I could spend that much just getting it purchased and sleeved, then more to import.
8 543 Read More
Re: The accessories jackpot journeymen 03/16/24 04:12 PM
Man that is a pot of gold
11 648 Read More
Re: I found these to be helpful SKB 03/16/24 12:11 PM
I do the same thing with tongue depressors, works great.
6 445 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Any thoughts on this rifle bsteele 03/16/24 11:54 AM
The stock looks like very early G&H rifles. That double pointed grip cap has been seen on a few rifles from the ‘22-‘23 era. No 8 35 Whelen comes to mind. Also the convex beaded cheekpiece is an early touch and I recall one of Michael’s early guns having that checkering pattern, though this one appears to have been heavy handed when refreshed.

Should shoot just fine.

Wish they could tell their stories.
7 450 Read More
Re: The $80 restock. Stanton Hillis 03/16/24 10:33 AM
Thanks, Tom. You answered a big question I always had about it, concerning the solids.

I've got a bag on the way to play with.
16 1,431 Read More
Re: Francotte SLE info needed Jimmy W 03/16/24 02:32 AM
Import of Belgium.

Ol' Lefty
3 189 Read More
Re: way way way OT but need help PhysDoc 03/16/24 02:00 AM
PM sent
8 769 Read More
Re: Baltimore Arms Carl Baird 03/16/24 01:40 AM
The shame of all this talk of beautiful workmanship in old American doubles is that I fear it's going away. I have a small collection of Hollenbeck, Syracuse, Three Barrel and one Baltimore that I cherish. My children don't care and I've gone to great lengths to explain to them what exceptional talent and drive it took to make these beauties. They all say great dad, and go about their own lives, never asking about them again.
I have a friend who grew up in Hungary and took an apprenticeship as a tool/gunsmith guy at a very young age. He said one day he was handed a bunch of steel and given the chance to make his own tools...screw drivers, chisel's, knives, etc. Then he was taught the art of making "V" springs. He said, you have to know your colors perfectly when you heat the steel...to much of a color and it won't work, too little of a color it won't work. He said, if you do it right, the true test is to take the "V" spring, clamp it closed and leave it alone over night. If it functions properly in the morning, it's a good spring.That's artistry and it's going away.
Before I leave, I hope underfunded Frank Hollenbeck gets the recognition he deserves. He made some mighty fine doubles.
18 7,859 Read More
Re: Vero Beach, FL., Sporting Clays earlyriser 03/15/24 11:49 PM
Here’s another that’s well run, about an hour and 15 minutes from Vero:

https://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/shooting-ranges/triple-n-ranch/
4 340 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith 3E - special? Stanton Hillis 03/15/24 10:12 PM
Foxy sent me this photo, taken with his great friend Brad Bachelder, just a short time before I bought the 3E from him. Some of you who knew Brad might be interested in seeing it.

Gil pegged Francis pretty well. I will say this ...... he got under some people's skins, but it was unintentional. Francis was a true gentleman, IMHO.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
32 1,172 Read More
Re: Speaking of Rust Bluing.... Der Ami 03/15/24 03:46 PM
Jim,
I don't remove the old bluing with chemical remover prior to polishing but toyed with the idea of using brick cleaner to do it. However, I decided it would save time to clean it with acetone to remove the oil before polishing as oil residue clogs the abrasive cloth. This is in addition to my post polishing acetone cleaning. I am interested others experience, especially if only "spot polishing" might be enough before bluing.
Mike
34 1,319 Read More
Re: London vs Birmingham engraving Parabola 03/15/24 01:12 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not the best of photographs but a Green gun I saw at Bonhams 20 years ago with almost identical engraving but differently carved fences.

Thanks to Goggle I was able to look it up and it is No. 5772, one of a pair ordered the same year 1894 by Sir. S. Crawley-Boevey Bart.

I looked them up in Green’s records but once again no mention of who did the engraving although there is a reference to the Whitworth barrels being from “Kilby” (Thomas Kilby , Barrelmaker of Steelhouse Lane )
63 10,268 Read More
Re: Americase arrieta2 03/14/24 11:55 AM
I remember when Bill started Americase. Myself and Paxton arms were their largest dealers. I dropped the line when he started to sell direct. Over the year they transitioned away from the gun case business to a more lucrative one.

John
Quality Arms
10 814 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: WTB-Miroku-Daly firing pin springs LeFusil 03/14/24 01:36 AM
Thanks for the leads/help. Found two springs in a local gunsmith junk bin!

Dustin
6 281 Read More
Re: Patterning a black powder double gun Stanton Hillis 03/14/24 12:37 AM
I always use equal volumes of BP and shot. I have killed a limit of doves with my 16 ga. with that loading.

Sorry, no pics. It was before cell phone cameras.
19 699 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Any thoughts on 1922 from RIA gasgunner 03/13/24 07:07 PM
Just my 2 cents, but the close grip, forward comb nose, checkering, cheek piece, and overall styling of the stock make me think it was originally converted to a sporting rifle by Sedgley. Then sometime later I think it was sent to G&H for the scope and bolt handle mod. Somewhere along the line someone added the set trigger, possibly at the same time that the later knurled cocking piece was added.

Whatever the story, I really like it and would enjoy spending a cool morning sitting in the squirrel timber with it.

John
15 633 Read More
WTB - Husqvarna 48 16ga hammer gun Mark Larson 03/13/24 06:16 PM
Looking for a Husky 48 16 hammer gun, preferably with fluid steel barrels, but will consider damascus if in nice shape. I have one in 12, and would like to find its twin.

Feel free to pm me or call 253.241.8190.

Thanks,

Mark Larson
0 102 Read More
Re: Need forend end piece for pre war Superposed dogon 03/13/24 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by PMcFall
Dogon
Thank you very much. Donnie did have one and I now have it in my hands, whoohoo!
Phil

Awesome!!! Really glad you found one!!!
7 407 Read More
Re: Skeets Bore gauge AGS 03/13/24 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
I have a 3 decade old Skeet's Bore Gauge. The sizing ring is .700" diameter. That ring fits somewhat loosely on the end of the gauge, so the smaller plastic ring was supplied to keep the sizing ring from falling off of the gauge when carrying it.

The 2 head gauge I purchased through Brownells came in a box that had provisions for storing the calibration rings and the second head and storage ring. The storage and calibration rings are very close in size. The calibration rings were normally kept in the box since you generally need them only when switching heads. I have always presumed that the protective rings were intended to store the unit with the balls off the seats to prevent sticking and rough action.

If you ever manage to "disassemble" one of the heads, you have a tedious job ahead. With the way the balls and actuator fit into the head, the only way I could get it back together properly was use grease applied with a toothpick to hold the balls in place. This followed by insterting the polished balls and rod. Not something I ever want to do again.
16 1,486 Read More
Re: Long shot: Weller & Dufty, Birmingham, 6 November Argo44 03/13/24 12:07 AM
That's good news Ken. Glad to help. David told me that unless someone in UK speaks for these catalogs, he'll send them to me over here. Diggory expressed interest but no follow-up as yet.
14 1,072 Read More
Re: Why the abused old doubles. improved modified 03/12/24 09:25 PM
What has been said is all true. Another option occurred to me a few years ago, a hunting buddy wanted to see the gun I shot my big game with. I showed him my gun and he demanded to see the "real" gun I hunt with,
I told him he was holding it. He was shocked; "It looks like new, this can't be it", he replied in dismay. "I've shot shot 17 head of game with that one, been my gun for 20 years, why? What does your gun look like?", I asked.
Later he showed me his big game rifle, it looked like it got run over by a tank tread. It occurred to me that some guys are just hard on guns.
22 1,469 Read More
Remington 1889 Longknife 03/12/24 03:54 PM
There was short discussion in the for sale section about Rem 1889's. I have Remington 1889 #1 in 12 bore and have always thought it would make a great sxs rifle in 20 bore. It seems at least one member here has done this. I do have the book on doing this, but I lack the machinery, tools and experience, Does anyone here do that kind of work ? Thanks, LK
0 132 Read More
Re: Off Top- Reminton F grade. Marks_21 03/12/24 02:00 PM
OK - last few...
23 755 Read More
Page 2 of 2 1 2

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.