March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Took a neighbor to shoot a pattern target from 16 yards. His Italian Grandfather's Beretta SXS, which was custom made, shoots a good 5-6 inches too low.

We added a slip-on comb pad that had different thickness rubber inserts and got the gun to shoot high enough. But-the POI had now moved 6-8 inches to the left due to the extra material hitting his cheek.

He doesn't want to attempt to raise it by having the stock bent.

Do you all have any suggestions for other approaches for raising the comb that he should try?

Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Add layers of Dr. Scholl's moleskin padding to the top of the comb. It comes in 3x5 sheets and has an adhesive backing. Cut the sheets for just the top of the comb and apply. Add as many layers as you need. Its a temporary fix or just leave them on. Replace them as they get dirty or worn. I've never had a problem with the adhesive and stock finish, but check to see if the adhesive affects your wood.

I found it great to increase the height of the comb on a Ruger American rifle for the scope. Once I had the height I covered everything in black duct tape. It looks really bad, but the rifle shoots great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This works well and does NOT injure the gun smile
NO adhesives or glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-Leather-Cheek-Pad/706669.uts

I do change out the heavy laces, for some old braided fly line
and tighten it up in stages.

same item, different places

https://www.triplek.com/product/1502915030-shotgunrifle-cheek-piece-3/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPLE-K-15030-...K-/132809579222

Last edited by skeettx; 05/17/19 04:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Meadow Industries makes a kit with various thickness pads with a thin cover so cast isn't effected.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about just teaching him to shoot with a more heads up attitude like many of the old timers shot (and me).

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since you know the amount of elevation you need, you could call these guys and order a custom pad to that specification. They are super fast, excellent quality, and really nice people.

I do sometimes add a leather lace around the buttplate if the stock is a straight grip.

http://www.cheeknstock.com/

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could have someone cut and turn it into a mechanically adjustable comb as seen on many competition guns. Wide latitude of adjustment, same comb geometry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
How about just teaching him to shoot with a more heads up attitude like many of the old timers shot (and me).

That would work, for sure, but if he shoots other shotguns that don't require, or need, for him to see so much rib to shoot flat, he is in trouble trying to switch guns. Much better to make the gun shoot to where he looks, with his style, as long as that "style" is not poor form. Sounds like he has a pretty consistent mount, by the way the pattern moved left when you built in some cast.

There are several ways to build up the comb, mentioned already, but it comes down to whether or not he is bothered by how something looks. I've built them up with layers of cardboard and brown duct tape, too. But, how well a gun fits me is much more important to me than how it looks. "Pretty is, as pretty does" .......... for some of us.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.