April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Skeeterbd, Stanton Hillis, earlyriser, Jeremy Pearce, 2 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All,
In addition to double guns, I collect old gun, fishing and hunting books. I have some questions for the rest of you who do the same.
What do you do in situations where you have more than one copy of a book?
For example I have 2 copies of Adventures in Angling by Van Campen Heilner, it is a rare book from the 20's. One copy is very good and signed by the author, the other is excellent. Do you keep both, or which one do you sell?
or as another example, TR's African Game Trails, I have a First Edition and I also have the Capstick Library edition but I have the complete set of the Capstick Library. Do you keep both
Same question with the NRA Leather Bound books, keep those or the original editions or both?
Just curious what you all do in this situation.
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep all of them- the current market is in the crapper- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think selectively keep both, assuming space is not an issue. I would rather read a trade edition than an original. I do sort of like quality sets, even if not first editions. I have a few things I think are rare that are not even out. I have inadvertently ended up with not so hard to obtain duplicates, its kind of a pain to try to sell, so they might end up as loaners or given away. Hope it brings much enjoyment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep the copies that mean more to you - the ones that 'speak' to you and more represent your own ethic and the person you are. Usually these will be the first edition/first printings and signed or inscribed copies. The copies from a more recent leatherbound set are only valuable as part of that set - not individually.
I have purchased additional copies simply to get a better dust jacket for an inscribed original, and so forth.

In the end it won't matter a lot, except to you and the person you perceive yourself to be.

Be true to thine self.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I often buy lesser copies of duplicate books just to pass on to friends who appreciate then. Not gun related but I've passed along many copies of Samuel Hyde's "Pistols and Politics" and Ambrose's "Citizen soldiers".

Sidelock
Sidelock

At this point in my life it is time to winnow down the library.
I have often bought books to upgrade condition or to have a better edition.
Book prices have fallen, are still falling, and the increase in postage has killed off much of the mail order hunting and fishing book trade.
Fewer young people collect anything, including rare books.
I have sold quite a few books in gun shows, but Covid-19 has called a halt to that.
Giving a really compelling book to a good friend is really satisfying.
Despite being a book collector and reader since I was a small child in my Father's book shop, I still get a thrill at finding a book that I have never encountered before, or a difficult to find book for a family member.

Last edited by Saskbooknut; 08/13/20 07:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut

Giving a really compelling book to a good friend is really satisfying. Despite being a book collector and reader since I was a small child in my Father's book shop, I still get a thrill at finding a book that I have never encountered before, or a difficult to find book for a family member.

Giving books for gifts works for me. It allows others to follow the same path the giver has tread!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Instead of just signing it, I have asked a couple of the current popular authors to write a note to my son from the perspective that he my find it and read it after I'm long gone. I don't doubt that there may be a time when I start getting rid of these things, or the family just liquidates them, and all will be forgotten, but that's okay too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive recently been getting more into rare books though Ive not yet upgraded any yet where I ended up with a duplicate. I think some of mine are so niche and expensive that they would be pretty hard to sell.

I also have a particular book that I will always buy if its cheap just to specifically have more copies to sell.

Ive recently been putting info on some of these books online: https://aaronnewcomer.com/tag/documents/

Last edited by AaronN; 08/13/20 11:22 PM.

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pretty large library of the books I've read going back to many that were in my Fathers library. I don't really collect rare books but some have just turned out that way. The real gem of what I have are my Fathers many hunting and shooting books. He and my Mother were great duck and upland game hunters and these books of his date from before the war right up until he passed in the 1980's. When I'm looking for a rare book I've found these sites useful : www.bookfinder.com, www.biblio.com and www.used.addall.com . All these sites and others were once available on a website called "Literascripta" but it disappeared as this most recent generation has switched to other forms of amusement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.